Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Diode Dynamics emailed me a new product alert for their 2015-2018-subaru-forester-tail-as-turntm-backup-module that converts your tail light to also work as a turn signal. It costs $50.

If you also buy their optional 7443 LED light bulbs and optional 921 LED light bulbs the cost can go up as high as $230, depending on the brightness of the optional LED bulbs you choose to add to the order.

I'm interested. I previously bought a pair of HP36 Diode Dynamics 921 LED back up lights that work well. Sometimes I wish I'd bought their brighter, more expensive, backup light bulbs.

Apparently, if you buy their module you also can have backup lights in both the old turn signal spot and the existing backup light spot.

I have a 2015 Forester. It looks like I could buy this module to convert my tail light to a turn signal AND add a second pair of backup lights. Win Win!

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
Diode Dynamics emailed me a new product alert for their 2015-2018-subaru-forester-tail-as-turntm-backup-module that converts your tail light to also work as a turn signal. It costs $50.

I have a 2015 Forester. It looks like I could buy this module to convert my tail light to a turn signal AND add a second pair of backup lights. Win Win!
I too have a 2015 and would like to see what it looks like on our lenses as they are different.

I also got the email, but it started at $90, what gives? (I even double checked). At that price - plus add for options - it just isn’t a good deal for me.

I love DD products, but it has to be worth it...

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,256 Posts
I also have the 'older' style lamps (upper brake, middle turn & reverse, bottom parking lamp) and would be interested to see how this unit works on the older styles, instead of the already-LED lamps from the 2nd gen of 2014-2018 SJ....

Can @diode-dynamics give an answer?

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 SJ 2.0XTP HTLCVT
203 Posts
Seems to me there's a problem here:

The '15 OEM backup and turn signal lens areas are clear (the middle, side-by-side positions). The OEM turn signal bulb is amber (the outer one), so it shows that way through the clear lens area. Amber turn indicators are supposedly required by law in at least some jurisdictions.

If you install one of the new DD TAT modules on a '15 (at least), regardless of whether you add a second white backup light, if your turn indicator is shifted to the top position as shown in the DD video (or bottom for that matter), then it will show as red, which I've been told can be grounds for a ticket or inspection rejection.

I posted a question about this on the DD website as soon as I got the email this morning. They have since deleted it.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,256 Posts
Seems to me there's a problem here:

The '15 OEM backup and turn signal lens areas are clear (the middle, side-by-side positions). The OEM turn signal bulb is amber (the outer one), so it shows that way through the clear lens area. Amber turn indicators are supposedly required by law in at least some jurisdictions.

If you install one of the new DD TAT modules on a '15 (at least), regardless of whether you add a second white backup light, if your turn indicator is shifted to the top position as shown in the DD video (or bottom for that matter), then it will show as red, which I've been told can be grounds for a ticket or inspection rejection.

I posted a question about this on the DD website as soon as I got the email this morning. They have since deleted it.
Regarding the highlighted section (above) - turn signals can be either red or yellow. Think of the thousands of cars you may see every single day that have red turn signals. Some cars have the same light (or lights) that light up for brakes also function as turn signals. In theory, you could go so far as to use a red bulb in the turn signal location without issue.

The only "real" thing is that you cannot have white or other colors for turn signals. But color may even vary by state or regional laws or mandates. But if the top section or bottom section (see my image below and above) is used as a turn signal, there should not be an issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Forester
898 Posts
Allowing red turn signal is an antiquated rule only in NA, rest of world requires amber turn signal for a good reason. Even here everywhere I look people hate red turn signals and prefers amber. Going out of your way to make your already amber turn signal to red is just bass ackward.

Funny enough all German cars have amber turn signal in Europe but switches to red for NA market.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
37 Posts
Coming from an '04 Honda Pilot where the entire rear housing was red...

Red definitely has a cleaner look, but amber is the way to go for functionality and safety. Just get some amber LEDs or PIAA Mirror Orange bulbs and call it a day.

·
Registered
2015 2015 2.5i Touring CVT
118 Posts
I am surprised and disappointed that what I thought to be a reputable firm, DD, would delete your question from their website.

That's simply dishonest and duplicitous.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Manual
11 Posts
As someone that likes his turn signals to be amber, I wouldn't dream of screwing that up.
I hate red turn signals. Whenever I see cars with red signals, it seems like the builders went cheap and didn't want to spend extra to put the proper amber lights in.
Now you have DD coming out with this stupid product to mess up an already good thing, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 limited
3 Posts
As someone that likes his turn signals to be amber, I wouldn't dream of screwing that up.
I hate red turn signals. Whenever I see cars with red signals, it seems like the builders went cheap and didn't want to spend extra to put the proper amber lights in.
Now you have DD coming out with this stupid product to mess up an already good thing, in my opinion.
Yees, i hate that too. What i did to have better lighting to back up was that i installed one of these (turn/white drls for the front turn signal) in the back turn signal, and connected the wire for the white drl to the reverse positive cable, son when im not using the turn signals while in reverse, they light up in white.

I also install some good leds for the normal back up lights.

Ill record a video of how they work and upload it here

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts