Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT Limited - TR580/FB25BC
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have never replaced rotors before so sorry for my first silly question. I plan to replace because I am getting some wobble when braking at high speeds, one of the pads has a squeal - I am sure it's the wear indicator. I plan to just do it all at once including new brake fluid - DOT-3.

Looking at the Subaru parts site I see two different front rotor sizes "16″" and 17″" that are specced for my car. On Autozone etc, I am seeing many different sizes of rotors that "fit" my vehicle some are 294mm or ~11.5 inches others larger.

Oh, and do I need to match up the pads to the rotors or does it not matter?

I am sure I will have more questions as I work through my purchase list.

*17 inch rims is what I have, if that is how Subaru is differentiating between rotor size by using rim size?

An aproximate measurement of the front rotor is a bit more than 11 inches without taking the wheel off. So I am guessing it's the 11.5 inch rotor I am needing, but Subaru doesn't mention the rotor size anywhere.

The rear rotor size? Again different size on the aftermarket sites

TIA

· Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
6,601 Posts
Have use used a dial-indicator on the disc and hub? You need to confirm the wobble is not the hub vs the disc. I struggle for nearly 5 years with vibration while driving and while braking. Everyone kept on saying I had warped rotors. replaced the disc 2 times and the vibration still existed. Turns out I had to replace the hub. After replacing the hub the wobbling almost disappeared. After replacing the "damaged" disc due to hub wobble, the vibration under driving and braking disappeared.

· Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
6,601 Posts
@johnnyjackhammer Given the vibration you experience is only during breaking, I would believe you do not have hub issues. Regarding rotor size, take the wheels off and measure? But the 16-17" is the wheel diameter and not the actual rotor diameter!!!

· Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
55 Posts

· Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT Limited - TR580/FB25BC
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
16" and 17" refer to wheel size. The 2.5i Limited comes with 16" for brakes.
My tires are 225/60R17 which led me to believe I have 17" rims... Yet I have a 2.5i Limited. I did measure the rotor on the front and it's about 11.5 inches so I will go with that. In metric that's 294 mm for the front and I called around and learned that 274 mm is the rear rotor size.

· Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
2,424 Posts
Use your VIN number and message Benny here @SubaruPartsOnline
I have the same vehicle as you. I use the 16” for Pads and rotors. The 17” OEM Subaru uses Akebono pads. Much larger. So, cross check with your VIN.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts