Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 forester cvt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a control arm bushing go bad on my passenger front earlier this year, and replaced it. My car has 118K on it, Shortly thereafter got a alignment since I had uneven wear. A little while after on sweeping right turns the front end started bouncing on what I believe is the drivers side. Started off only a little noticeable, and got worse over the course of about a month. It only happens above 65 mile an hour on sweeping right turns (when the wheel needs to be turned more.... SW PA doesn't like straight roads) on the highway. I figured it was from having uneven wear on the tires, and purchased a set of Motegi's and tires with some life left since I assumed one of the tires were cupped. Long story short, I encountered the same thing this morning while coming down the highway. not as bad as before I switched the wheels and tires, but it was happening.

I'm guessing I'm looking at getting the front end inspected, but wanted to get anyone's thoughts.
My guesses are (not particular order):
Worn sway bar bushing
worn control arm bushing
worn struts

One other note... of course the last lug nut I got to switching the tires last night turned out was stuck (I'm guessing it was crossthreaded when being put on after rotating and alignment last time). Anyway, it snapped off in the lug nut. Anyone know the part numbers to replace the sheared bolt and what goes into the process of replacing on the forester? I've done it before (a long time ago on a cavalier), just not sure what I'll need to do for this one.

Any input on these things greatly appreciated,

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Push hard on the suspected corner and see if the car bounces. It really shouldn't at all. If so, your struts are suspect.
Raise the suspected corner and see whether there's any play. There really shouldn't be any. If so, probe around those components with a pry bar and see where the play is coming from.

Lugs are not horribly difficult to replace. Take the wheel and brake caliper and bracket off. Remove the rotor.
Turn the hub such that you have clearance in the back of the broken lug. There's a spot where that metal shield does not cover so that's a good spot. Pound it out with a sledge hammer. Insert the new one, put a bunch of washers on the side that the rotor sits on and attach your new lugnut. Tighten it so it pulls the lug back into the hub.
Reassemble rotor, brakes, attach wheel.
Job done!

Edit: As far as Subie parts go, I use SubaruPartsForYou. The parts are often much cheaper than regular dealer prices. They have a search-able parts list, based on model and year. It usually shows a blown out drawing with the part of interest. For me it is particularly handy because it is run out of a dealership (Dan Perkins Subaru Milford CT), less than a mile down the road from work so I can pick the parts up.

·
Registered
2015 forester cvt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. Since I've done the front rotors and pads and rear pads, replacing the bolt should be easy... and I'll probably replace rear rotors while I'm at it.

As far as the front end goes, I'll give that all a try. The strut will obviously be easiest. I'll try the pry bar before taking it for inspection.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,898 Posts
@Cash3w_baru welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Note that @oceanhighz last signed onto the forum 1 month ago. You could send him a PM - Private Message... now called a "conversation" on this new site. He's optioned to receive an e-mail notification, so you could receive a reply to your question.

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts