Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium Cvt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this xt about 2 years ago, and I have had a problem about 6 months after I got it. It first started when I decided to have a radio shop install a viper remote start in it. They had my xt for about a week and told me they could never get the remote start to work properly. A few months later I get a check engine code P0016. I clear the code, clean the cam sensors and its fine for about a week then it came back on again. I take it to the dealer and they said they cleared the code went on a few test drives and the code never came back. I drive it for about a week or so and then the code came back I cleared it, and 3 drive cycles later the light came back on. Cleared it, same thing 3 drive cycles and its back on. This same trend repeated 2 or three more times, so I take it back to the dealer and they said they would do the same thing again, clear codes test drive. They call me saying that they drove it and the code never came back. I told the adviser that you need to atleast drive it 3 times and the light will come on. He said they drove it more than 3 and my car was ready for pickup. I got to pick it up and they say again just bring it back if it comes on again. I drive out of the parking lot and I get the check engine light on right away. I drive it back through service not the happiest person but now they said they would look at it and all of a sudden can offer me a rental car or shuttle. They keep the xt for a week or two and it looks like they replace a phaser, cam sensor, pcm and some other items. Awesome, I get the xt back and as i'm driving back home I smell burning oil. I get back home and a little bit of smoke was coming out from under the hood. I open the hood and see that my coolant tank is completely empty. I call back and they say to drive it back in the morning and check the coolant level in the morning. When I checked it in the morning there was maybe a tbs in the bottom. I take it back, they detail my car to get the oil off the exhaust and top off the coolant in front of me, with some prestone coolant. Xt drives fine for about 3-4 months then i get the same code back p0016. Take it back and after they look at the car say it's because of the wiring that the car audio place messed with. I told them it doesn't make sense. Why would you want to do an interior harness when the only code i keep getting is P0016. No other codes, no communication error codes, nothing else. It would make more sense if it was a engine harness. They told me they would talk with the car audio place and see what they could do. Car audio place supposably said pound sound. So subaru said you need $5,000 to fix the harness on the interior. I said i'll think about it and left. Sorry long story but I just want to get my car working properly. Any Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,622 Posts
I'd bet my money on the stereo shop frying your ECM. Ask the dealership what was replaced with the PCM repair and if it was not the ECM that probably got an electrical shock when the stereo shop was screwing around with wiring without disconnecting the negative terminal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts