Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
04 6 5 speed manual
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey There,

This weekend I got some odd behavior from my 2014 XT. The shop I visit says it is a TGV failure. Not the sensor on the TGV but the valve itself? They haven't torn it down yet but that is what they shared with me.

After doing some reading and video watching it sounds like a TGV delete might be in order here. So my question is really just about what would go wrong if I do a TGV delete in order to solve my problem? I am in Cali so being able to pass emissions is a big deal.

I appreciate the help from the knowledgeable collective here.

For reference this is the video that got me thinking about a delete.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT Premium CVT
366 Posts
The TGV Delete kits are cheap, but you will need a custom tune to let the engine run without them. Removal without a tune puts the car into limp mode, so you won't be merging onto I-5. Around my way a custom tune is about $500, on top of the $500 for the Accesport to connect to the car's computer, so....

Unless the TGV is over $1000, or you have a buddy that's a car tuner and will do it for a 6pack, I'd suggest just replacing the part(s).

BTW, I did the delete at the same time as several other mods and tune. On cold days it starts up rougher, more like an old carb-ed motor than a new FI one. More gas smell in the exhaust until warmed up. Once warmed up, or during Summer start-ups, it's not noticeable.

·
Registered
2016 Forester CVT
180 Posts
I'd be willing to bet a six-pack of anything that it's the sensor and not the valve assembly.
Another option to consider, if you prefer to stay stock a save a buck or two, is to get the full assembly+sensor used on ebay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts