Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Gee, I must be the luckiest guy on earth. I have purchased 9 new Subarus over the last 21 years. The only failure I experienced was a malfunctioning MAP sensor on my last (2015) Outback. I repaired it myself in 5 minutes using a used part that cost me $50. My wife's 2019 Forester has gone 14 months with no problems. My 2020 Outback is 4 months old and has never caused any problems. Yeah, Infotainment systems I dislike (I keep mine turned off!!) and I would like to permanently disable the Auto start.stop systems, but everything still works as designed.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
723 Posts
Stuff happens. My doctor buys a new Rolls Royce every 2-3 years and one he had about 8 years ago was the lemon of all lemons. They got it sorted out in the end, but this was a AU$2 million plus car! The gremlins must have been working overtime the days it was screwed together. Does his experience tell us anything about RR quality, nope.

If the OP's problems were common it would be a concern, but they don't appear to be so it comes down to bad luck, bad roads, or environment, or maybe bad driving. However, the real concern, imho, is the attitude of the particular dealer and possibly Subaru AU if they were as involved as the dealer claims.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
54 Posts
No matter what quality a car or any product has (and I'm sure Subaru is not the most reliable car brand), there can and will be outliers, field failures, and issues. And when it happens to you, that really sucks. I don't blame the OP for sharing his experience and his decision not to get another Subaru. Unfortunately, either due to defect on his unit, lack of reliability, or poor dealer warranty service, it's bad experience for OP and Subaru has lost a customer for life. That's too bad.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0 XS
201 Posts
Great idea- Toyotas are perfect- never seen one in a shop.
our friends had a renault laguna 2006 whose engine gave problems every month. They sold it to buy supreme japanese reliability (toyota corolla), only to have its engine destroyed and have the short block replaced, after waiting for some weeks without a car.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,124 Posts
Possibly, at least compared to a Jaguar... ;-)
I hear you as I “lease” my wife a 19’ F Pace.
Id never own a Jag or want one outside of warrenty but at 20k miles so far it has been an awesome vehicle to drive. Im not kidding that thing drives like nobody’s business.
1 warrenty issue so pretty good.

If I can get 150k trouble free miles out of my Fozzy Ill be happy.
Ill be retired then and maybe scale back to single vehicle in few years.
My vehicle owning regret in life will be never owning a F150 Lariat.
Wish I did. But its just want not a need, and It makes zero sense for me where I am in life now to drop $70k on a truck when my 17’ Foz is flawless. Not even a scratch. 100k mile warrenty, no auto start/stop, regular fuel injection, meticulously maintained, paid off from a zero percent factory financing at the time and all. Id be nuts to trade her in. I just drive it back and forth to the port anyway. She does her job so at 50k miles on her now, if I can get another 100k Id be extremely happy Subie owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Automatic 4sp
131 Posts
We have a 2018 Crosstrek (which we love) and a 2014 Forester (which I don't love). My BIL had a 2014 Forester that was an absolute lemon. Ours, at 86,000 miles, has had more major repairs than I ever expected from a Subaru. I'm ready to trade the '14 Forester for a new car but am a bit skittish about the '20 Forester. Consumer Reports said Subarus had only average reliability and it's been trending down. We had a Prius that went >200k miles with NO major repairs. But we need a small SUV for vacation travel.
Question for this community: Would you buy another Forester? If not, what do you recommend that's reliable, good mileage, good resale value, great safety features?
Well as I have posted before, it is terrible to have car suck like that, but my father is on his second Forester , third suby, and never had much issues .
I drive a 2010 fozy premium now, at 157k miles. And untill this year all was stock OEM except breaks,tires and radio.
In last 3 months I had missfires and replaced sparks wires and coils
And a radiator blowout.
But at 10 year run it is expected, aren't it?

·
Super Moderator
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,545 Posts
our friends had a renault laguna 2006 whose engine gave problems every month. They sold it to buy supreme japanese reliability (toyota corolla), only to have its engine destroyed and have the short block replaced, after waiting for some weeks without a car.
:LOL:

You guys know every single brand has these stories which is why, as a savvy consumer, you learn to filter out the background noise from the actual brand reliability. source

If you want a recommendation on an alternative with all the metrics that were mentioned (reliability, resale, mileage and safety), Toyota is one. The sarcastic replies and the one off horror stories won't change that.

As far as a vehicle that at least meets these metrics, a Rav4 Hybrid is one option. The Rav4 Prime is going to absolutely smash the mileage metric while destroying the Forester's performance. It's actually a little embarrasing how bad it's going to make the Forester look. 90 MPGe + 5.8 0-60 + AWD? Ouch. Reliability remains to be seen but historically Toyota's hybrid powertrains are extremely reliable and their battery warranties give much comfort.

I for one am likely leaving the Subaru bandwagon and opting for this Prime. When you factor in the likely target price of mid 30s with a federal tax credit of probably 7500 bucks it's a very solid smart buy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The sarcastic replies and the one off horror stories won't change that.
Interesting you seem to be ignoring that the OP is exactly one of those.

I will say my experience isn't one offs as I spent over 10 years as a tech in an independent shop, so while some manufacturers tend to be better than others, to say Honda or Toyota stories are one offs is pushing it. They all have lemons and they all have issues.

Good video on the performance of the Ravs AWD performance
Interesting to see the roller tests.

·
Super Moderator
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,545 Posts
It helps if you read the whole thread....particularly my first post in the thread.

I'll help.

first model year vehicle problems. Everyone has em. Some of the issues sound like a problem with a dealer not willing to take the time to address them as they should.
What you seem to be referencing, and getting defensive about, was my response to a request for an alternative option to Subaru that meets those metrics. Take a step back, look at the big picture.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
420 Posts
Build quality must suck if someone has to replace a control arm after 6 years... the rest of his issues are a bit of seat wear and an air-con repair. After delivery, his only issue was a tie rod end bolt was loose.

If we want to have a whining section in this forum for people who bought 6 years ago and think the car should never have any issues regardless of anything they do-- I say go for it. We can call it venting corner, but it has nothing to do with a car review.

My interest here is in learning maintenance and repair tips for an older Forester that I want to keep on the road. This type of thread, at this date and time, is useless. Just sharing my opinion.

·
Registered
41 Posts
@SubaruWB, can you post a photo of your problematic front control arm bushes?

These are wear parts and will last depending on usage. Cars in cities with plenty of potholes usually need newer bushes/shocks around 5 years on average. One heavy uncalculated shock can damage components, regardless of the car.

If you are going to drive your car on the road only, there are plenty of CUV alternative but to be fair to Subaru, all newer cars are much more cheaply made than those built to 10 to 15 or more years ago.

I agree with many, this can be one of the whiniest auto forums I've been in. Toyota Nation is starting to get as whiny, as well, because of minor inconveniences that buyers get from their modern Toyota. When they buy a new Toyota, they expect it to be as worry-free as the 90's models.

Building a Toyota (or any other production) from scratch takes around 18 months from the ground up. That is the reason why minor things are overlooked. Car manufacturers nowadays focus on fuel consumption, safety and profit. All the other issues can just be tackled with a TSB or a voluntary recall. Cheers.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sorry..I smell troll
No some people just think they're actually going to get back at the big mean corporate bully and influence people.

It's like the moron that didn't read and understand his tire rebate, I saw his post on 3 Subaru sites, sure he went to more. He didn't like the responses pointing out he was wrong.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.