Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
7 Posts
Well I have a 2019 Subaru Forrester and it’s my first Subaru and will be my last. The CVT transmission is poorly designed and over heats daily when the temperature is in the mid seventies. Even after adding a transmission cooler it still over heats and starts surging. And the body of this vehicle dents just looking at it. This is definitely not a tough vehicle, might be ok strictly for highway zipping around town but not as a work car.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
45 Posts
Im in the same boat as you... although they are nice looking cars the build quality sucks! I still own my 2014 but its the last one i ever own.
Interesting, I notice that you both have 2014 Forester XTs. My 2104 is a base model, only 62,500 miles but haven't had a single problem. I certainly hope that your experience improves.

On another note, prior to the Forester I've been a Honda guy since 1981. Had few problems with them either except frequent muffler/pipe replacements. Before the Hondas had a succession of Volvos and spent many hours working to keep them running. Any one of those Volvos cost me more in repairs than all my Hondas combined. But I digress. I love my Forester but it'll be my last Subaru. One of the reasons I switched from Honda was that I thought Subaru was an eco conscious company. Then they supported the current administration in their suit against CA to keep the state from mandating cleaner vehicles. That was an eye opener. Since Honda supported CA in the suit, I decided to go back to them and car buying time was starting to creep up on me. The upshot is, in the end pre-ordered a Cybertruck. I'll keep the Forester til then. Spendy, but it won't ever rust on our Minnesota salt trails that some call roads. Feels like it might be time (for me) to ditch the gas anyway...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm with you on this SubaruWB. I'm a 1st time owner and possibly last time owner of a Subaru. (I have the Subaru Forester Sport 2019 purchased in early 2018 as soon as it came out.)

Too many issues from the start, especially the super thin cheap Subaru windshield that can barely take a tiny pebble even at slow speeds. I replaced my windshield 3 times in one year on my Subaru.

I've owned 3 other non-Subaru makes/models in 16 yrs and never had to replace one windshield due to any pebbles or even surprisingly larger objects hitting my windshields. Subaru Eye Site has had issues operating. I've had my vehicle auto-brake on me when I didn't expect it to do so when the road was completely clear and no debris obstructing the Eye Site! Radio (3 times) could not be turned off nor could I change the volume or had any control over the display screen no matter what I did - long press the volume button, turned off the vehicle, etc. (It was suddenly working again after a 40 min drive, but I had to suffer through some bad music while driving as I wasn't able to change the station.) I thought I'd be saving on gas on my new Subaru vs my previous 2011 RDX Turbo or my Honda CRV, but it turns out I get slightly less miles on the Subaru. I could name a couple more quirks not to mention the non-trained Subaru Service Center workers - tried 3 different ones.

Now there's a recall about a part that can cause engine damage which surely the Subaru Service Centers will surely not do their due diligence to fix if the engine did turned out to be damaged due to the recalled item causing damage to it. They'll just replace the recalled part and send me away. It's a roullete deciding which Subaru Service Center to bring my vehicle to - do I take it to the place that adamantly told me I needed an Eye Site calibration prior to bringing it to them but admitted to not doing the calibration afterwards and told me (afterwards) that a calibration is not needed which contradicted what Subaru of America told me? Or do I take it to the orignal place I purchased my vehicle from where they failed to do basic checks such as overinflated tires at 45 psi plus a couple of other basics which escapes my memory now? Or do I take it to the Subaru Service Center where the guy stabbed and dug his pen into my windshield emphasizing the small bubble BEHIND the windshield wiper blade now turned into a divot/crack after he stabbed it with the point of his pen stating that it was a pebble that hit my glass despite the originating location of the crack being in an odd location and not taking any of my information down despite being asked by Subaru of America to provide a report to them? I am not happy at all.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
1,677 Posts
Too many issues from the start, especially the super thin cheap Subaru windshield that can barely take a tiny pebble even at slow speeds. I replaced my windshield 3 times in one year on my Subaru.
I'm with you 100% on the fragile windshields. I replaced two cracked Subaru windshields in one year and had a third insurance claim for a "star" repair. For my third windshield I opted for non-Subaru glass since I don't have Eyesight. If you have not already done so please file a windshield complaint with NHTSA here:

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
50 Posts
A lot of what the OP mentioned were technically wear parts… no one likes replacing suspension components but it’s the reality of literally every car made (and only amplified by AWD vehicles that put extra stress on the suspension components). As for the trans… get a CVT flush and move on!

·
Registered
2010 Fozz
7 Posts
The problem is - what to buy? It's a real problem now. We went through a period where it was hard to buy a bad car. That's all flipped on its head. The problems with maintaining direct injection and the myriad of electronic gadgets mean that all these new cars will be worthless once that stuff starts to fail.
This guy sums it up nicely:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0 XS
192 Posts
I live in Athens/Greece which might be considered as "moderate" off road driving, and had minimal problems with the car (Foerster SH 2008), owning it for 11 years and over 176,000 km on the odometer. Still stock suspension.
Subarus can be "weird" at times, they need the owner to understand their "personality", but once this is established IMHO this can be a long loving relationship. My previous car was an impreza, most balanced and best handling car for corners I ever had.
Just came from the Mazda dealer, I cannot say I found any car in there that makes me feel better (regarding visibility, space, etc) than my Forester.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,292 Posts
@rattler - Wow - Great post. It pretty well summed up my issue with current car offerings and sadly Subaru is going the same way.
Added complexity and driver distractions that provide negligible benefit in many cases, with "safety features" needed to overcome the hazard created by the driver needing to take their eyes off the road to do very simple things... and the cost of all of these.

The geniuses at Subaru have taken a capable, affordable to purchase and own vehicle and turned it into an expensive gadget that is already beyond the capability of their support staffs to diagnose and repair when there is a problem. It isn't hard to find a lot of evidence to back up that statement and it's on this site.
It reminds me of yet another example of the old axiom that “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should”.

The specter of this makes the car unaffordable once it is out of warranty as noted in the video you attached, and the "replace parts until it starts working" method practiced at dealers may be the only option.. a very expensive option some have already experienced if they didn't buy an extended warranty.

Time will tell if I'm right, but it seems logical to me that car value will suffer significantly as the potential cost of repairs easily exceed resale value.
I'm thinking that a complete rebuild of an older vehicle may become the only viable option to the current vehicle electronics infection.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
252 Posts
Guys all that has happened is that cars have gone the same way as tech marketing. The greatest and latest is always in development and shipped with flaws, and lots of people buy them to have the latest and greatest. Modern head units are basically small computers, which we all know never have problems....

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium
544 Posts
You watch. Someone will come out with a hardcore low budget sedan. The only lost tech I would cry about is the key fob lock. safety stuff like stability and antilock brakes.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
252 Posts
Over at Nissan Forums, there is a guy whose factory headunit has failed on a 2016 Rogue. They are telling him its out of warranty and have quoted him 4000 pounds as the repair cost. To put that in perspective it is a bit over 60% of the cost of a new base model Nissan Micra. Its absolute insanity and verging on criminal extortion. I have let him know where and how he can get a replacement and install it himself for less than 3% of what they are trying to gauge him for.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
721 Posts
@rattler - Wow - Great post. It pretty well summed up my issue with current car offerings and sadly Subaru is going the same way.
Added complexity and driver distractions that provide negligible benefit in many cases, with "safety features" needed to overcome the hazard created by the driver needing to take their eyes off the road to do very simple things... and the cost of all of these.

The geniuses at Subaru have taken a capable, affordable to purchase and own vehicle and turned it into an expensive gadget that is already beyond the capability of their support staffs to diagnose and repair when there is a problem. It isn't hard to find a lot of evidence to back up that statement and it's on this site.
It reminds me of yet another example of the old axiom that “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should”.

The specter of this makes the car unaffordable once it is out of warranty as noted in the video you attached, and the "replace parts until it starts working" method practiced at dealers may be the only option.. a very expensive option some have already experienced if they didn't buy an extended warranty.

Time will tell if I'm right, but it seems logical to me that car value will suffer significantly as the potential cost of repairs easily exceed resale value.
I'm thinking that a complete rebuild of an older vehicle may become the only viable option to the current vehicle electronics infection.
You watch. Someone will come out with a hardcore low budget sedan. The only lost tech I would cry about is the key fob lock. safety stuff like stability and antilock brakes.
Strongly agree with both of these statements!!!!!! This is why I don't want a newer Subaru or most any newer car, junk I don't want/need, that we're paying for and when it fails....good luck getting it fixed!!!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey All,

Hoping i can change someones fortune before they buy a Subaru like i did on the guise of Japanese Engineering is fantastic and reliable.
I bought my 2014 Subaru Forester XT off the show-room floor, first new car i have ever had and obviously super excited! I had done plenty of research prior to this but had either not done enough or the issues hadn't been found throughout lots of people so far.
Here is the list of things that have been wrong with my car:
  • A few months into owning my car, I noticed a large knock every time i went over a bump so i took it back to the dealer - the Tie Rod End nuts were completely loose.
  • I had and still do have lag and clunking when trying to move between gears at certain RPM ranges at seemingly random times. Talked to Subaru every time i got it serviced, could never replicate so it was always shrugged off.
  • My A/C compressor clutch started squeeling so loud every time it engaged i had to drive without A/C until it was fixed. Subaru did not want to have a bar of this as it was deemed "normal function"
  • My "leather" seats, which im sure, aren't actually leather, has started to crack quite badly (i am 80-85kg's. (175-185 pounds)).
  • Just now, every time i drove over 85km/hr, my whole car started to vibrate so much it couldn't be driven over that speed, i originally thought that it might have dropped a weight from a wheel, nope, my Front Control Arm Bushes are completely flogged out and the rear bushes are cracked. Obviously my car is out of warranty but these bushes should be nowhere near that damaged for the Km's i have put on it and the way i drive it so i got my local Subaru dealer to ask Subaru Australia for good will and their response was that it was denied.
My car has <85,000kms (52,800Miles) on the clock, has never been driven off road and i drive it pretty damned conservatively.

Everything in that list has been denied for either warranty or goodwill on the idea that all of that is either "Normal Function" or normal wear and tear.
So before you buy a Subaru Forester or ANY Subaru in general just remember that your car can be completely undriveable and it will still be fine in their eyes.

Don't touch Subaru, their quality is absolute trash, their post-sales support is absolute trash and their idea of what is "Normal" is laughable. Buy a Hyundai or Kia.

Rant over, for here, same story going to be posted on every forum i can damn find.

Cheers,

SubaruWB
So I'll post trying to save you- don't buy any car, use public transport.

Go to any manufacturers forum for any model and guess what you'll find? Another good Samaritan saving us all from buying that car all based on a scientific sample size of 1.

Thanks man.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium
544 Posts
I can cut him some slack. it doesn’t matter if every Subaru is like mine, his has disappointed him.
I have 2 open recalls. It has been very dependable. Watched an acorn drop on the hood and leave a dent. The wind blows and it scratches the paint.

Drive just got plowed. Imma gonna go drive around the house. 😈

·
Registered
2014 Forester
4 Posts
@SubaruWB - Sorry you had so many problems mate. It sounds like you got a lemon and coupled with that, a dealer who in a word, sucks.
I'm on Subaru #6 and have had very good luck with all of them.

The current MY12 Forester I have is driven in terrible conditions on a daily basis, on some of the worst roads in my state.
I have to laugh when I see people's off-road pictures... They look like newly paved roads compared to what I drive on to get home.
Despite that, other than an air bag recall and the sunglass holder latch breaking, I've only had to do regular maintenance.
I do all of that myself, which makes the car very inexpensive to own and drive.
The 2004 Foz I bought for my daughter has over 250K on the clock and is still running well, and hasn't had any problems.

Based on feedback on this forum, I would not expect the same experience with a current model.
It appears that the newer the model, the more that quality issues seem to apply.
Unfortunately, I think Subaru has dropped the ball on quality in the effort to mass produce.
I maintain my cars well and expect them to last a long time, but I don't think a current Subaru is worth owning once the warranty expires.
I've read too many horror stories like yours on this forum.

I'm sure that opinion will raise ire in the forum FanBoy population, but I really don't care.
Like you, I am leaning towards finding another brand when I need to replace my current ride, or maybe not. I have an open mind.
I had bought a Kia for my wife which was a great car, and several good friends have AWD Sorentos that get great mileage and have had no problems.

If there is any good news for you, it is that Subarus have good resale value, much of that based on ratings from prior years reliability.
You should at least get a good down payment out of the car.

Fortunately, I don't need to get a replacement soon, but if you do, please share your experience.
In any case, good luck to you.
We have a 2018 Crosstrek (which we love) and a 2014 Forester (which I don't love). My BIL had a 2014 Forester that was an absolute lemon. Ours, at 86,000 miles, has had more major repairs than I ever expected from a Subaru. I'm ready to trade the '14 Forester for a new car but am a bit skittish about the '20 Forester. Consumer Reports said Subarus had only average reliability and it's been trending down. We had a Prius that went >200k miles with NO major repairs. But we need a small SUV for vacation travel.
Question for this community: Would you buy another Forester? If not, what do you recommend that's reliable, good mileage, good resale value, great safety features?

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
252 Posts
Let us see you are asking a forum that has over 127,000 members, and focussing on a thread written by some with the least amount of actual automotive knowledge? Ok I will tell you what you want to hear-- go buy the new Chevrolet Equinox or any Hyundai or Kia that JDPower rates highly. Please do not hate me in a few years.

Keep in my end the OP who claims its the worst quality, has kept it for 6 years and it was his first ever new car purchase, so he obviously has a wealth of experience.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.