Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Hoping i can change someones fortune before they buy a Subaru like i did on the guise of Japanese Engineering is fantastic and reliable.
I bought my 2014 Subaru Forester XT off the show-room floor, first new car i have ever had and obviously super excited! I had done plenty of research prior to this but had either not done enough or the issues hadn't been found throughout lots of people so far.
Here is the list of things that have been wrong with my car:
  • A few months into owning my car, I noticed a large knock every time i went over a bump so i took it back to the dealer - the Tie Rod End nuts were completely loose.
  • I had and still do have lag and clunking when trying to move between gears at certain RPM ranges at seemingly random times. Talked to Subaru every time i got it serviced, could never replicate so it was always shrugged off.
  • My A/C compressor clutch started squeeling so loud every time it engaged i had to drive without A/C until it was fixed. Subaru did not want to have a bar of this as it was deemed "normal function"
  • My "leather" seats, which im sure, aren't actually leather, has started to crack quite badly (i am 80-85kg's. (175-185 pounds)).
  • Just now, every time i drove over 85km/hr, my whole car started to vibrate so much it couldn't be driven over that speed, i originally thought that it might have dropped a weight from a wheel, nope, my Front Control Arm Bushes are completely flogged out and the rear bushes are cracked. Obviously my car is out of warranty but these bushes should be nowhere near that damaged for the Km's i have put on it and the way i drive it so i got my local Subaru dealer to ask Subaru Australia for good will and their response was that it was denied.
My car has <85,000kms (52,800Miles) on the clock, has never been driven off road and i drive it pretty damned conservatively.

Everything in that list has been denied for either warranty or goodwill on the idea that all of that is either "Normal Function" or normal wear and tear.
So before you buy a Subaru Forester or ANY Subaru in general just remember that your car can be completely undriveable and it will still be fine in their eyes.

Don't touch Subaru, their quality is absolute trash, their post-sales support is absolute trash and their idea of what is "Normal" is laughable. Buy a Hyundai or Kia.

Rant over, for here, same story going to be posted on every forum i can damn find.

Cheers,

SubaruWB

·
Registered
29 Posts
@SubaruWB Wow.o_O I've never heard anything like it. The car is a complete dud. There was obvious huge mistakes made when assembling the running gear. I've flogged the hell out of cars on bad Australian roads and I've never had a tie rod end nut coming undone. The split pin keeps it in place. and as for the control arm. What sort of rubbish bush did they use?
You should have been treated better than that.
I'll definitely be shy of buying a 2014 or later model.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic 4sp
51 Posts
@SubaruWB Well, while I believe your story, I can not confirm it.
My father is on his third suby.
He had a 2002 Forester, 2006 Outbacks and now 2014 Forester.
No major issues with any of them.
I had my 2010 Forester for 10 years now. 156k miles on it. No major issues and it still looks pretty dumb good. Grunted, after 10 years and with 156k on the clock it is not as reliable as it was but...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Fozzi
I just put the Tie Rod End down to manufacturing flaw and it was fixed.
The things that really annoy me are the A/C Compressor Clutch dying and the Front Control Arm Bushes completely flogging out and being told that is "Normal Function" (A squealing and slipping A/C compressor clutch that is no longer cooling is not "Normal Function" and "Normal Wear and Tear" for completely flogged out bushes at <85,000km isn't normal either, in my, having multiple mechanical trades' opinion). The only thing i can think that in an XT over a normal Forester is the extra torque however if that IS the case, why wouldn't they fit harder bushes, its not like people buy XT's for the ride comfort. I am going to be putting in Poly bushes now anyway.
My local Subaru dealer did say that bushes are a sacrifical part which i agree with, but not at this point of a cars life. I did say i thought they might have just been a dud run of bushes, which if it was the case, whatever, it happens. The normal process, they send off the report to Subaru Australia to get a decision on Good Will. Reply from Subaru was no Good Will would be given.
@vl1969 I am coming upto a new car in the next year or so and it definitely won't be another Subaru but oh well - live and learn!
Get your dad to have a look at his Front Control Arm Bushes.
My thought process now is that i am assuming these problems are probably still in the new Subaru's too. If they are "Normal Function" and "Normal Wear and Tear", why would they change them?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yep, I can see why you are avoiding Subaru and the later models. Considering second hand 2014 Subarus are so overpriced in Tasmania. They're fetching 17 to 19,000 $Au with 121 to 140,000 km.I'll keep away from late models and be happy with my current 2007.

·
Administrator
12,650 Posts
@SubaruWB

Your experience is certainly not the norm for sure. I am about to replace my lower control arm bushes at 200,000+ kilometres and having tackled many of the iconic 4WD tracks the car has had a very rough life.

Be aware that poly bushes, whilteline etc, will give a harsher ride and there's stories of premature cracking.

Maybe your dealer is the issue here?

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
676 Posts
Subaru AU has a pretty good reputation for meeting customers more than half way so this is a surprise. Have you personally been in touch with Subaru, or has the dealer been telling you Subaru denied the claim? If the dealer then bypass them and contact Subaru direct.

Our consumer laws offer protects well beyond the manufacturer warranty. If you can't get satisfaction from Subaru then get the ACCC on the case. Or John Cadogan.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,764 Posts
Ouch, that sucks, but I've had a pretty good experience with Subaru (overall) since I got my first one in '08. I did have one dud, a car the got Lemon Law'd, a 2015 WRX Sti.

·
Registered
2016 Foz CVT
891 Posts
Don't touch Subaru, their quality is absolute trash, their post-sales support is absolute trash and their idea of what is "Normal" is laughable.
...same story going to be posted on every forum i can damn find.
A sample size of one person and one car means the entire brand is trash.

:rolleyes:

Statistically, your case is thankfully not the norm. I'm sorry your experience with Subaru was a bad one, but 'posting it on every forum you can find' because you're angry and need to exact some kind of petty vengeance upon Subaru comes across as rather childish. I guess I'm glad it makes you feel better, but emotional vomiting does nobody any good.

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,437 Posts
first model year vehicle problems. Everyone has em. Some of the issues sound like a problem with a dealer not willing to take the time to address them as they should.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,084 Posts
My 17’ bought late 16’ just clicked 50k miles.
Pretty much flawless.
Not hurrah for me, just a better mainstream sample.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,273 Posts
@SubaruWB - Sorry you had so many problems mate. It sounds like you got a lemon and coupled with that, a dealer who in a word, sucks.
I'm on Subaru #6 and have had very good luck with all of them.

The current MY12 Forester I have is driven in terrible conditions on a daily basis, on some of the worst roads in my state.
I have to laugh when I see people's off-road pictures... They look like newly paved roads compared to what I drive on to get home.
Despite that, other than an air bag recall and the sunglass holder latch breaking, I've only had to do regular maintenance.
I do all of that myself, which makes the car very inexpensive to own and drive.
The 2004 Foz I bought for my daughter has over 250K on the clock and is still running well, and hasn't had any problems.

Based on feedback on this forum, I would not expect the same experience with a current model.
It appears that the newer the model, the more that quality issues seem to apply.
Unfortunately, I think Subaru has dropped the ball on quality in the effort to mass produce.
I maintain my cars well and expect them to last a long time, but I don't think a current Subaru is worth owning once the warranty expires.
I've read too many horror stories like yours on this forum.

I'm sure that opinion will raise ire in the forum FanBoy population, but I really don't care.
Like you, I am leaning towards finding another brand when I need to replace my current ride, or maybe not. I have an open mind.
I had bought a Kia for my wife which was a great car, and several good friends have AWD Sorentos that get great mileage and have had no problems.

If there is any good news for you, it is that Subarus have good resale value, much of that based on ratings from prior years reliability.
You should at least get a good down payment out of the car.

Fortunately, I don't need to get a replacement soon, but if you do, please share your experience.
In any case, good luck to you.

·
Registered
2016 Foz CVT
891 Posts
Unfortunately, I think Subaru has dropped the ball on quality in the effort to mass produce... I don't think a current Subaru is worth owning once the warranty expires.
I agree. In the attempt to grow, some quality has suffered. I've owned 7 Subarus over the years but they just don't seem as bulletproof as they used to be.

Part of the quality slip is also due to the single minded goal to gain gas mileage at all costs, so some blame falls outside of Subaru since that pressure is external. I plan on dumping my Forester when it's CVT warranty has expired simply because the transmission is so ridiculously expensive to replace out of warranty.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
237 Posts
How many bad potholes has the original poster gone through, and how rough are the roads?. How long have they been degrading? How well have you maintained proper tire pressure, and are you using OE wheel and tire sizes? For me the 6 years old is more significant than the mileage. I suspect you also live in a climate that is rather hard on rubber bushings and requires lots of air-con use. Its also quite possible that the car sits for long periods between drives
Cars like it or not require maintenance and repairs during their service lives, and that requirement increases with age. It's impressive that you are getting some sympathy here, and I feel the frustration, but your conclusion is wrong and based upon wishful thinking. You could have bought an extended warranty back in the day. Console yourself that the repairs you require will cost a lot less than that would have.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
237 Posts
Forget any car in the 70s or 80s, pretty much any other car from 2014 bought new would have experienced as many and usually far more serious issues than that. But it was his first ever new car...

·
Registered
29 Posts
@SubaruWB

. Be aware that poly bushes, whilteline etc, will give a harsher ride and there's stories of premature cracking.
I don't know what type of bushes they use on later models but from my experience of poly bushes, they suck.
I always try to use rubber. My Hilux and now Rodeo had rear poly bushes which just did not last the distance, falling out in pieces.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
4 Posts
I've got a '15 Forester, delivered the first part of Aug. '14, with 84K miles on it. All bushings looked good (like new, not even weather checked) last fall (U.S. Midwest) when I did other maintenance/repairs. Sits outside all the time. Normal street/highway driving with the occasional gravel road.
Seems he may have gotten some bad bushings.

·
Registered
2010 Fozz
7 Posts
Wow. This is certainly proving my "All new cars are rubbish, just some more so than others". We have a 2010 Forester Diesel, and while I'm not a fan of the engine, the rest of the car has been spot on. At 155,000km everything works nicely although it could use a set of shocks. We're in South Australia and the car lives outside - the leather seats are like new. And the paint is still good too. I'd have to say build quality and materials were spot on in 2010. Sad to hear (although not entirely surprising) that things have gone downhill.

It definitely seems like cars peaked in the 90's. After that it was all downhill. Built to go to 100,000km and bin...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.