Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XT Touring
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I own a 2014 XT Touring. I was hoping you could help me better understand a problem that has developed in it.

This all started when I took my car into the dealership for a recall. Their inspection turned out a CVT pump cover leak. I allowed this repair, especially that Subaru of America agreed to pay for it in full (even though I am a little beyond 100k). Great!

After the service (but not before) I noticed rough shifting. When I was accelerating from a stop, or slowing down to a stop – the car would experience a strong jerk before settling into the adjacent gear. (I know, it’s a CVT – yet there seems to be distinct gears).

Within a few weeks the car lit up some dashboard lights. Lights would come up in two stages. When the cold car got started, you’d seen right away: Check Engine, EyeSight (plus relatated distance and lane), and Hill Assist. After several minutes of driving more lights: ABS, Vehicle Stability, and AT Oil Temp.

Took the car to the dealer, they said the problem had nothing to do with their recent service. They recommended changing the CVT valve body. Subaru of America was less thrilled about paying for this, but they did chip in 50% of $1600 and I got the repair done.

Drove the car on Thursday night, quickly noticed serious screeching noises while accelerating. I am guessing metal on metal, but could be wrong. The car also jerks when accelerating, like it has trouble kicking into next gear. Most interesting symptom is that sometimes, when coming to a stop, it will completely stall and turn off the engine, while lighting up pretty much most of the lights on the dashboard. Restarting the engine gets rid of the lights until next stall.

I captured some of this behavior with my phone (poor audio, but perhaps useful).

There are a two or three accelration cycles starting at 1:20, with screetching audible at or above approximately 2.5k RPM. In the first acceleration the car jerks around 3k RPM. At 2:20 the car stalls and all the lights come up. After restarting the engine another screetchy acceleration aroundf 3:15 with car jerking around 3k RPM.

I want to take the car back to the dealer on Monday to look at this, but I jhave now very limited confidence in their skills. It seems every time they “fix” something, the car comes out with even worse symptoms. Any help in understanding what is happening to my XT would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and Happy 4th!

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
302 Posts
taking it to the dealer is your best move. . Sounds like the new part is malfunctioning. A code reader will give you an idea where the problem is.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,051 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear this. It may be that the cvt is about to fail completely. Torque converter, valve body etc.
I hope SOA is willing to pay for the entire transmission this time. The dealership should have recommended this from the start. This is not your fault. Keep us updated please.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
553 Posts
holy grinding gears batman,
yeah I would say your cvt is on its way out. As others said this is a dealer f-up.
If you don't trust your dealer, go to another and tell they why. Most of the time they can help you out better.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,238 Posts
@ZenonBaleron
The dealer wasn't doing you a "favor", nor was SOA when your CVT had a problem.
Rather it was a contractual obligation. Your car has a 10 year 100K warranty on the CVT.
Look at this: Subaru Issues Extended Transmission Warranty Program for Certain Vehicles (The link is from a Carolina site, but the warranty is applicable across the USA).

Since the dealership you are going to appear to be complete morons, go somewhere else.
Warranty repairs can be done at any dealership, and your CVT is very likely toast.
Typically the grinding noise is the chain grinding through the pulleys on it's way to a total failure.

Tell the dealer (don't ask) that you have a major CVT problem covered under warranty that you want FIXED and ask them what they will provide for you to drive during the repair.

You might also tell the dealer you had been seeing is that you have been charged $800 for a warranty repair, which is a contract violation. You have a great slam dunk case in small claims court if they won't give you a refund.
You should also file complaints with appropriate state agencies for that "stealership".
They literally ripped you off.

·
Registered
2014 XT Touring
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ZenonBaleron
The dealer wasn't doing you a "favor", nor was SOA when your CVT had a problem.
Rather it was a contractual obligation. Your car has a 10 year 100K warranty on the CVT.
The difficulty here is that my car is around 112k, which is beyond the the 100k CVT warranty. So based on those numbers, SOA was actually showing good will when they covered some cost. I just wish that the dealer diagnosed "imminent CVT failure" from the start, before I had my first conversation with SOA. Then perhaps SOA would pay for the new CVT, instead of bleeding money on what the delaer has done so far.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,238 Posts
Oops - I didn't see that clearly noted mileage figure...
Sorry I missed that part of your comment instead of finishing that first cup of coffee first. ;)
And you are right about the good will by SOA in that case...
For the dealer.. not so much, especially when they "helped you" by essentially throwing away $800 of your money.

Unfortunately, if the CVT is toast (which is likely what they will tell you) the cost is variable, but for a dealer replacement of the CVT, based on what others on this site have quoted, $7K to $10K appear to be ballpark figures.
Search may reveal otherwise...
With this or any HIGH COST repair, get a second (or third) opinion and quote.
You also might want to consider and explore a different route than a dealer fix.
Short term warranties can be had for a used CVT, and an Indi shop install that would be a lot less expensive..

Unfortunately, when a CVT goes south, replacement is often the only option, and it is an expensive component.
Good luck - Keep the forum posted as to how you make out!

BTW - Welcome to the forum, despite these less than pleasant circumstances.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,051 Posts
I would approach this with a very diplomatic tone since you''re past 100K miles, but not much..
SOA should take care of this. This problem was probably their before 100K and only got worse.
Unfortunate, but lucky it didn't happen at 150K miles. I hope SOA does the right thing here. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts