Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 forester XT cvt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 7000km on my XT. Usually put my XT in Sport # or Sport mode and never noticed any hesitation whether accelerating/braking.

Over the last week I decided to put my XT in in ECO/I mode. I have noticed the cvt hesitates when I am braking. It slightly REVS up a few hundred rpm a slight hesitation.. same thing happens when I accelerate in ECO/I mode..especially if I try to gently press the gas. If I accelerate normally I does not seem that noticeable.

Anybody else have this issue? Could it be signs my CVT is on the fritz?

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,785 Posts
I don't think it is an issue... it is how most CVTs behave.

In I mode the CVT is constantly in motion trying to keep the RPMs in the most efficient location. This is probably why you think it feels like it is hesitating.

When in S or S# modes, the CVT runs the RPMs up higher, simulating 6/8 speed transmissions. Less movement in the CVT = less "hesitation"... also, the "hesitation" is probably because the RPMs are so low, making it more noticeable.

When braking your RPMs probably come up acting as an engine brake. Like above, since you are running at such low RPMs in I mode (~1500-~2000) you are more likely to detect the CVT motion.

I hope that makes some sense.

·
Registered
2014 forester XT cvt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GeoJosh thank you for your reply and explanation! I guess I will have to get used to the cvt I mode or leave it in sport mode... :) Didn't get the XT for fuel economy but for fun spirited driving!!

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
You can drive it all the time in I or S mode if you wish. S# is only available when the blue temperature light goes out.

·
Registered
801 Posts
So can you leave it in S modes? Is there any precautions you have to take when using these modes?:rock:
Only till you turn off your car. On start up, I believe it is always in 'I' mode.

No precautions per say, just be prepared for the power / acceleration involved in S & S# modes - especially in stop + go traffic.

·
Registered
271 Posts
On the hottest days of the summer in the most spirited driving being in an S mode will bring the temps up. I only remember a few people reported exceeding 215º though. It will of course burn more fuel and I find its a little jerky under 5mph, but boy does it get up quick..

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Forester XT CVT
26 Posts
Great feedback. Are you guys using auto or manual mode?
I notice in I or S manual modes 2nd gear has a hesitation. I do to get this driving in auto mode. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
2013 WRX Base 5-speed
827 Posts
FYI the S mode dosent simulate 6 gears unless placed into manual mode. Anyways the CVT is all around quirky in these cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts