Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have held off on posting anything until I could get to the bottom of this. Would love any advice. We have a 2014 Forester XT Touring with just over 80K miles on it. Sudden loss of power, lots of smoke... bottom line is the engine is blown. Diagnosed as a piece of the spark plug broke off and wreaked havoc. Blown turbo and short block. This car was only out of drivetrain warranty by about 20K miles. I have heard of similar failures stemming from a pre-ignition problem but cant find details on any recall or class-action suits. Anyone else experience this problem? Subaru is offering some assistance but not a lot. Can anyone shed some light on the best course of action? Total repair is estimated at $9,000. Subaru offering $3,000. The car was worth around $16,000 before but value will take a hit regardless of resolution I think.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,618 Posts
man that sucks...first I've heard of it. If an injector failed or had a fueling problem detonation would definitely contribute or be the sole reason for the failure.

What sort of periodic maintenance for the injectors, intake valves, oil change intervals, etc were you doing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
man that sucks...first I've heard of it. If an injector failed or had a fueling problem detonation would definitely contribute or be the sole reason for the failure.

What sort of periodic maintenance for the injectors, intake valves, oil change intervals, etc were you doing?
Solid maintenance record. All done by the dealer where we bought it. Last thing that was done aside from oil changes was they replaced all the spark plugs because it was not running well.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,618 Posts
Solid maintenance record. All done by the dealer where we bought it. Last thing that was done aside from oil changes was they replaced all the spark plugs because it was not running well.
Well sadly the dealers will take care of the big ticket maintenance items and do lots of checks but they don't add fuel injector cleaner for you with every oil change as is a good idea with Direct injection engines, and they won't do injector valve cleanings either as part of the maintenance schedule....so it could have been a carbon nightmare in there with very poor flowing injectors.

What fuel were you running?

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
702 Posts
Wait a minute. The dealer replaced the spark plugs 6 months ago and now one of his new plugs failed and totally destroyed your engine! Most dealers that I know warranty their repair work for a year (or two); I'd check there for remedy.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Wait a minute. The dealer replaced the spark plugs 6 months ago and now one of his new plugs failed and totally destroyed your engine! Most dealers that I know warranty their repair work for a year (or two); I'd check there for remedy.
I agree. That's just totally unacceptable. Definitely bother them about that and contact SOA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Latest is this...A former Subaru tech at another shop let me know of the specific recall that should cover this. WQW-58 covered '14-'15 Forester XT but only within certain mfg date range. Mine is apparently not included, but after looking into this recall, I am going to push hard to get coverage. This car always idled rough. When we asked the dealer to fix it, they just replaced the spark plugs. That resolved the rough idle, but 6 months later, KABOOM!!
As of now, Subaru is offering to cover $3K of a $9K repair bill. That wont work for me. I will post again once I learn more. Everything we have experienced, seems like a perfect example of what this recall was meant to address.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
37 Posts
Latest is this...A former Subaru tech at another shop let me know of the specific recall that should cover this. WQW-58 covered '14-'15 Forester XT but only within certain mfg date range. Mine is apparently not included, but after looking into this recall, I am going to push hard to get coverage. This car always idled rough. When we asked the dealer to fix it, they just replaced the spark plugs. That resolved the rough idle, but 6 months later, KABOOM!!
As of now, Subaru is offering to cover $3K of a $9K repair bill. That wont work for me. I will post again once I learn more. Everything we have experienced, seems like a perfect example of what this recall was meant to address.
any update on this

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
236 Posts
Yes! Subaru is going to cover all but $1000. We thought that was fair.
Happy to hear!!!!

And a broke plug(I'm guessing insulator) caused the failure...They probably over torqued, caused the break. Insulator grooved the cylinder leading to ring failure, deposits, detonation, engine failure.
Nice guys

1 - 16 of 16 Posts