Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can it be done?

Im tired of not being able to modify our Forester for fear of losing the transmission. My wife drives the FXT mostly so I have to retain a CVT. Otherwise I would’ve swapped to a manual already and turned it up.

The Ascent was designed with torque and towing in mind. So I was wondering if the Ascent CVT could be the answer to this problem. I know the Ascent does not have SI mode; so what are some of the problems that would need to be addressed in this swap?

Let me know what some of your thoughts are. I don’t want to see; “Go buy a WRX or STI if you want performance.” I want to tune my Forester. Let’s see what you think.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
287 Posts
Well it is an FA series engine. So I would bet it fits the bell housing. The Ascent is on the global platform so I would doubt the mounts will line up. Then again if scooby24 is correct, I have no reason to believe otherwise, I would bet it would be fairly straight forward swap, if not a direct fit... but hey, I haven’t ever seen either trans with my own eyes that I can recall at the moment so add many gains of salt.... and tequila and lime...

·
Premium Member
'17 Imp Ltd wagon CVT
1,172 Posts
The Ascent's CVT doesn't have any more power/torque handling capabilities than the FXT's CVT. The FXT's CVT can easily handle what the Ascent's motor puts out.

The trouble comes when people modifiy their cars to make over 300bhp, which is most of them. They're the ones ruining the CVTs. However, IF you limit your power to 300 or less bhp, not whp, and add an OEM or better CVT cooler it should be fine... as long as you don't abuse it. No 0-60 runs or racing. Just driving normally, not like you stole it.

Swapping the CVTs won't gain you anything except a hole in your wallet.

Reactions: Beluga and jdac85

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was under the impression that the FXT had a CVT and the Ascent has a HTCVT?
I have no clue what the differences are.

·
Premium Member
'17 Imp Ltd wagon CVT
1,172 Posts
I was under the impression that the FXT had a CVT and the Ascent has a HTCVT?
I have no clue what the differences are.
Eric, there are resources on this website that can provide all the answers you need to understand CVTs in general, and the differences between the different ones. Just search "CVT". The internet has even more.

The "CVT" that you're thinking of is the one in NA vehicles, while the HTCVT is used in turbocharged vehicles. The (just) CVT in your comment is the TR580, while the HTCVT is a TR690 as Scooby24 said, and that both FXT and Ascent have the HTCVT TR690.

HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts