Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to isolate variables, can anyone tell me where the Starter Relay is found? (Bought new one from S. Parts dept. but they just told me - on passenger side, below glove box.)

Want to put in New relay before removing the Starter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last started 1 month ago when bought new battery (car had not been driven since installation) charged over night & reinstalled yesterday morning. Engine does not crank, all lights come on but not response, no crank or starter sounds. Read somewhere problem could be a relay.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Before the new battery ,how long had it been sitting without starting?

How long did you have the engine running a month ago? Did you drive it?

Any further vehicle history you can provide?

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
If you crank, do those dash lights and the radio go off?

Does the car crank in neutral? If so, the problem is likely in your dash or transmission shift assembly somewhere.

If not, the starter relay should be in the hood's fuse box, I think. If I remember correctly, you can swap it and the horn relay in a pinch to see whether that is your problem.

If not, check the starter:
The starter has a big fat wire going to it. If you put a test light or multimeter on it, you should see 12V all the time.
It also has a thinner wire going to a bump on top of that starter (that bump is the starter solenoid). With a test light, you should see 12V while you are starting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you crank, do those dash lights and the radio go off?

Does the car crank in neutral? If so, the problem is likely in your dash or transmission shift assembly somewhere.

If not, the starter relay should be in the hood's fuse box, I think. If I remember correctly, you can swap it and the horn relay in a pinch to see whether that is your problem.

If not, check the starter:
The starter has a big fat wire going to it. If you put a test light or multimeter on it, you should see 12V all the time.
It also has a thinner wire going to a bump on top of that starter (that bump is the starter solenoid). With a test light, you should see 12V while you are starting.
Thanks very much. FYI it does not crank. I've removed the starter and had it tested at auto parts store - good news it passed the test.

I'll check the under hood box for relay for ignition or starter. Have read some things indicating starter relay is eitherbehind the fuse block below left of steering wheel or below the glove box. Can't find any good confirmation of the specific location of the relay. Have bough a new one from local Subaru store parts dept.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
I'll check the under hood box for relay for ignition or starter. Have read some things indicating starter relay is eitherbehind the fuse block below left of steering wheel or below the glove box. Can't find any good confirmation of the specific location of the relay. Have bough a new one from local Subaru store parts dept.
Perhaps I'm thinking of a relay labeled IGN in the under the hood fuse box and remember being able to swap it with the horn relay. That's not the relay you're looking for, clearly. Sorry for steering you the wrong way.

My schematic is for a slightly older Forester but it does not appear to have a relay in the starter path, except for the ones related to the security system. Without a security system, they jumper around that relay. Do you have a factory security system? Is that the relay you're looking for?
On this one, it goes from the ignition switch to the inhibitor switch (park and neutral), to the starter solenoid. Pretty simple. Maybe they changed things on a 2014.. who knew?

Do you see 12V on that thinner wire going to the starter while starting? If no, do you see 12V in neutral while starting? If not, that's when you want to jump into the electrical rabbit hole. That's a very basic functionality that you should have for that starter to work, regardless of year.

Edit: FWIW, In case your alarm inhibitor functionality is hosing you up: that 'starter' relay may very well be called "interrupter relay" in Subie speak. On my (older) schematic, it appears to be on connector B59 and is located somewhere on the bulk head in the viscinity of the steering wheel. Maybe yours is the same.
Edit some more: this subaru dealer shows where a replacement part is located. Here it is called a "starter cut relay":

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Remco Thanks very much for your support. Sorry for the delayed response.

Success was achieved - ended up giving up on the relay approach & pulled the started. Took it to a helpful auto parts store, they tested it & it failed the test a couple of times & then passed 3 in a row. The guy from the store noted some light corrosion & recommended all the contacts be cleaned and then apply dielectric grease when installing. Success! Started just fine after messing with the started. (Never determined where the started relay is located).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts