Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
14 Subaru Forester - Replaced driver side wheel bearing. After i replaced it my dash lit up with the usual ABS Traction control, Hill descent, all that good stuff. After doing some research I assumed it was the ABS sensor so I took the wheel off and checked the sensor sure enough it was broken I must have broke it while replacing the hub accidentally. Just put the new ABS sensor on and all the lights went away so I shut the car back down for the evening. Next day get in the car to go to work and all the lights are back on. I just pulled the hub assembly completely back out and double checked everything including the brand new sensor everything looks immaculate. I can't read the code with my OBD2 reader. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on? I even checked the passenger side rear ABS sensor just for kicks and it is good looking.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
I have yet to replace a bearing on my Suby, buthave another cars with ABS.
There is a signal ring(for lack of the proper nomenclature) that "signals" to a sensor on the hub perimeter speed of that wheel. This is a general description and may not be particular toSubi....
,,,,but each wheel has a speed sensor and each hub must have the associated " mate" in order for it to pick up the signal.

.Some hubs must have the " mate" transferred from the old hub to new hub(such wasmyexperience). It is basically a large ring .
Research the particular p/n youbought to see if it included it.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Ok, so the "ring" is called a reluctor and has a bunch of notches on its perimeter. It is inboard of the mounting surface, against the backing plate.

FWIW, Here's a 1 star review of a hub for a 2014 front (from Oreilly):

"D224
· 9 months ago
Does not work with abs sensor!!!!!
Warning before you buy!!! made different from original and made car throw codes for abs sensor. Bought oem and codes went away."

·
Administrator
13,841 Posts
Remember, some aftermarket parts just do not work correctly. In this case, the aftermarket hub/bearing assembly is not correctly made to allow the sensor to see the bearings. On some cars instead of a reluctor wheel it looks for the bearings.
A reluctor ring looks like this; if you don't have one then the sensor is looking at the bearing and if non-oem you're out of luck it seems!

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Kevin. I think even if there is a reluctor on the aftermarket hub, it may not work like OEM..
That's obvious, of course. but if there isn't , I hope he saved the old hub- he may be able to swap it over.

If not ,I think a return is in order.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
402 Posts
@Makingforestergreatagain has answered your question. I replaced my rear driver's side wheel bearing and the mechanic showed me the ring on the OEM assembly. He told me, if that fails, the dash would light up so keep an eye. He replaced the OEMs with SKF assembly.

·
Administrator
13,841 Posts
OK - so if MJ's 2015 has a reluctor ring then I imagine the 2014 should have them too and either has been damaged or, if the hub was replaced, incompatible.

Is there some confidence that the sensor is correct?

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
912 Posts
I can't read the code with my OBD2 reader. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on? I even checked the passenger side rear ABS sensor just for kicks and it is good looking.
Most FLAPS readers don't interrogate the ABS system. Those errors start with a C.
Yours is likely a C0035, it being the front driver side.

I'm not sure whether you have to clear that code to make it go away.
Perhaps, since you snapped the wheel speed sensor, it detected an error, threw the code. You since fixed it. Maybe it just need to be reset.
Do you have someone with a better reader nearby? Or are you near me (SW-CT; I have one that can read ABS system related codes).

·
Registered
2014 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have A new reader on the way! And yes I replaced the entire hub. Last year I replaced the entire hub on the rear passenger side, never threw a code, but it was a different brand of hub also. Thanks everyone for the responses. Hopefully the reader sheds some light for all us.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Was the reluctor ring on the hub you bought? Did it look identical to the OEM? Do you have the old hub?
The review I posted was for the cheapest hub they sold and at the top of the listing for those applicable.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It looked the same to me, but I'm not sure. I don't have the hub anymore unfortunately. But I do have some pictures I would like to share.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it's pretty obvious the speed sensor is either bad, or the bearing isn't compatible, and I think it's the latter

·
Registered
2014 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also using my new scanner I was able to "erase" the codes. The lights are still there, and the scanner still reads that something is wrong with the ABS, but now it won't pull any codes. I drove it about a mile just to see if the lights would go out, nope.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just called oreillys and they have me a new different brand hub coming Wednesday morning. Just for kicks, I pulled the passenger side abs speed sensor and just let it dangle. Drove it a mile, came back home and scanned. Still no codes thrown, but lights all over my dash. It seems after I "erased" the codes with my new reader, they are still there but not where my reader can pick them up. Very very odd to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts