Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking to get a set of all terrain tires on my 2014 forester. I have a few options and looking for any suggestions.

option 1 : stock 17in rims + all terrain tires (like falcan wild peak AT (225/60/17 or similar))
option 2 : stock brz/scion frs wheels ( 17 in X 7.5inch) + AT tires (225/60/17 or similar)
option 3 : maxxim maze wheels ( 16in X 7 in) + AT tires with a taller side wall.

Are there any concerns with running scion frs rims on forester? they both seem to be identical in size from what i can tell. scion wheels just look better IMO
Option 3 is a lighter wheel and would be better for offloading, BUT, I checked the specs on that wheel and the load capacity is 1364lbs according to the website, is this an issue? ref: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/maxxim-maze

Are there any concerns with rubbing / clearance if I run a tire with taller sidewall on stock 17inch rims?
The car has about 113k miles on it and i am looking to swap the struts sson, perhaps makes sense to get the tires with biggest side wall that i can fit right now and address any clearance issues by putting taller suspension?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I am looking to get a set of all terrain tires on my 2014 forester. I have a few options and looking for any suggestions.

option 1 : stock 17in rims + all terrain tires (like falcan wild peak AT (225/60/17 or similar))
option 2 : stock brz/scion frs wheels ( 17 in X 7.5inch) + AT tires (225/60/17 or similar)
option 3 : maxxim maze wheels ( 16in X 7 in) + AT tires with a taller side wall.

Are there any concerns with running scion frs rims on forester? they both seem to be identical in size from what i can tell. scion wheels just look better IMO
Option 3 is a lighter wheel and would be better for offloading, BUT, I checked the specs on that wheel and the load capacity is 1364lbs according to the website, is this an issue? ref: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/maxxim-maze

Are there any concerns with rubbing / clearance if I run a tire with taller sidewall on stock 17inch rims?
The car has about 113k miles on it and i am looking to swap the struts sson, perhaps makes sense to get the tires with biggest side wall that i can fit right now and address any clearance issues by putting taller suspension?
Hi, I’m new here. Since you posted this 4 months ago I may be late to the game, but here’s my 2 cents.
I have a 2014 Forester on BRZ wheels. They were a direct swap and I’ve had them for years and love them! I actually like them so much that I had them on my Outback too. Both were gunmetal gray cars so the BRZ wheels look custom.

I would suggest you check out Continental Terrain contact AT tires. I just got some for my Ridgeline and they are highly rated and look great (very aggressive sidewall).

In order to check your clearance, you need to do a comparison on tiresize.com. Plug in your current/stock wheel & tire set-up and what you’re thinking of swapping for. It will help you visualize tire /wheel size changes and potential for clearance issues.

I just searched for “biggest tires on 2014 Forester”which brought up your post. We both need to know what’s the biggest tire you can run on OEM suspension without clearance issues/rubbing. I’m going to keep looking for that and I’ll swing back here once I find it.

I’m hoping to add some sidewall height to smooth out the ride of our Forester a bit. She handles like a SOB, but she also rides like a lowered vehicle. Compared to my (sold) Outback’s ride, my (wife’s) Forester rides like a slammed WRX. 😅

I’m going to try tires first because ours are low on tread, but interested in other suggestions to smooth out the rid

·
Registered
5 Posts

My research shows 29” diameter is the tallest tire you can get away with without mods, you only gain 0.5” with a few mods within the wheel well to prevent rubbing. Not sure a lift will change that.

The recommended sizes are:
235/60R17
225/65R17
Alternate: P215/70R17

There are limited tires in these sizes. I may look into the alternate size for Max sidewall height as I don’t mind losing a little width for height.

Here is a screenshot of tires for one of the above sizes. Happy tire hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went with the FRS wheels + falcon wildpeak 225/60/17 tires soon after this post. I have since driven them through snow, gravel, ice, highway and city. They didn't disappoint and look better than stock IMO. Really impressed with the wild peaks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went with the FRS wheels + falcon wildpeak 225/60/17 tires soon after this post. I have since driven them through snow, gravel, ice, highway and city. They didn't disappoint and look better than stock IMO. Really impressed with the wild peaks.
Let’s see them! I may check those out!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ll take better pictures.

If there's anything specific you would like to see let me know and I LL take more pics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up a 2014 Forester Touring and am looking at swapping out the wheels and getting beefier tires. Eventually, I will probably add a lift kit. To add more sidewall, I am considering 16" wheels with 235/75-16. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,284 Posts
I went with a set of Konig rims and the Continental Terrain Contact AT tires. Suitable for off and on-road adventures.

The Konig rims are a bit wider (8 instead of 7) but still fit the stock width tires. The offset was different, but with the added width, the back space is still just about the same - no rubbing.

FRS and BRZ rims will fit, no problem, because of shared parts with other Subaru products (ie Forester)...

Remember though that if you go up in tire size (sidewall, width or diameter) you will most likely have speedo errors. If you look at the 2.5 NA 17" vs the XT 18", you'll find the sidewall went down while the rim diameter went up and it's pretty much a wash on the speedo error.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts