Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So by now (hopefully) we've all accepted the fact that we can only tow a measly 1500 lbs. I'm done being frustrated by it, I just want to know what I can actually tow safely.

I found this one:
QuickSilver 6.0 Automotive Tent Camper Overview | Livin' Lite RV
@ 1200 lbs if you option it out a bit it seems very liveable. What do you guys think of this as an option?

What else have you guys found?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5iPremium CVT
87 Posts
Good question - I don't have any personal experience with lightweight campers, but I'm subscribing for future reference.

Based on a quick search, it looks like a 13' Scamp is 1200-1500 lbs, and the smallest Starcraft pop-up is ~1300lbs.

Curious to hear some firsthand opinions or suggestions.

·
Registered
2014 XT Touring CVT
31 Posts
Coolest Camper Ever

This is Sylvan Sports mantra and it definitely lives up to it. I bought it back in March and have used it a few times. It's light 840lbs. So you can load up another 600lbs albeit Subaru recommends trailer brakes at that weight. I've probably loaded about another 150lbs on it and tows great. A lot of functionality and it sets up in minutes and is extremely roomy. Check them out! SylvanSport GO | Lightweight, Small Pop Up Campers - Camping Trailer

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 XT Forester CVT
148 Posts
The limited weight is one thing, but the heat the CVT generates is a bigger issue even towing my bike trailer on a normal day hits 220F & its lucky to weight 350kg/770lbs combined with bike.
I'd borrow a box trailer & fill to the weight of said camper & see how the car drives.

·
Registered
2011 Foz 2.5XT Touring auto
175 Posts
hey guys, It is sad that you guys have such a low rating, my SH XT has a decent rating and it tows 2000LB easy.

Anyways, I have a 1984 Starcraft Starlight 17 tent trailer. It's a standard tent trailer and it only weights 900LB!! So if some of you guys can't afford the crazy prices of Scamps, Used tent trailers may be a good option? I know that I only paid $500 for mine and it is in very good shape.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5 Limited CVT
286 Posts
I'm looking to get a Scamp 13' with shower for my 2016 Forester Limited. Was looking at the Casita 13' but that's over 1500lbs. Scamp 13' if configured lightly is 1200lbs.

Anyone here towed a Scamp 13' or Casita 13' with their 14+ Forester yet?

thread subscribed. :wink2:

I would love to have a 13ft Scamp......Maybe someday.
i like the scamp, it has bathroom, lol.

but would it look odd with a forester? It looks like it will fit perfectly with fiat.

edit
Here is a quick photoshop/cad with scamp
CAKenXT, the Scamp 13' looks great pulled by the Forester.. I've got a Yakima Skybox 16 on my Limited so your photo looks almost perfect for my setup. Thanks for the mock-up!

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
699 Posts
Limited options

Most of the tent type trailers emphasize bed space. We wanted the option to cook and sleep rain and mosquito-free with room for just two. Out Chalet LTW is 1300# dry and will be close to 1700 when fully kitted out. I'm not worried about the absurdly low towing rating, particularly after hauling it over 200 miles through the Oregon and N California coast range.

I'm beginning to wonder if the 2.5i might be better at towing than the XT. More power = more heat and its all bolted together. I never lacked for power but I don't expect high performance when towing anyway. Yes, the power and tore curves look better for towing with the XT but more power is more heat any way you cut it.

GD

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5 Limited CVT
286 Posts
Oh my, the interiors of those Scamps are ugly in ways I didn't think were possible in modern times!

This Tiger Moth is only 900 pounds, with cooktop and bed. The Cricket Trailer has a bit more luxury in exactly 1500 pounds.
You want pretty? Try an Airstream Sports 16:
https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/sport/

or

Alto Safari Condos:
Alto Travel trailers by Safari Condo

Both too rich and heavy for me.

My primary requirement for a Scamp 13' is to have an indoor wet shower. Otherwise I'd go for a smaller tear drop trailer that's around 600lbs, such as this NestEgg:
NestEgg Trailers

Most of the tent type trailers emphasize bed space. We wanted the option to cook and sleep rain and mosquito-free with room for just two. Out Chalet LTW is 1300# dry and will be close to 1700 when fully kitted out. I'm not worried about the absurdly low towing rating, particularly after hauling it over 200 miles through the Oregon and N California coast range.

I'm beginning to wonder if the 2.5i might be better at towing than the XT. More power = more heat and its all bolted together. I never lacked for power but I don't expect high performance when towing anyway. Yes, the power and tore curves look better for towing with the XT but more power is more heat any way you cut it.

GD
Green Darter, let me clarify if I may, so you're saying that you have already been towing your Chalet LTW ~1700 lbs when loaded around OR and NorCal coast range and have not experienced any problems, yes?
I know that area and it doesn't have much elevation gain/drops. I wonder how it will do if pulling up to Tioga pass outside of Yosemite.

·
Registered
2015 2.5 CVT
2 Posts
Aliner - Scout or Scout Lite Model
www dot aliner dot com

Aliner also has lightweight campers under Somerset name on their website.

In Ontario, Canada
Taylor Coach
www dot taylorcoach dot com

Used Boler - Google Boler camping trailers

www dot kamparoo dot com

Trailer brakes on trailers over 1000 lb loaded are worth having if you can afford them. Requires brake controller in vehicle. See etrailer dot com for more info.

·
Premium Member
2016 XT Touring CVT
656 Posts
Folks, just a few words of caution... our CVT's don't have transmission coolers like most other markets do, which I think is one reason that our tow ratings are lower.

Additionally, when it says that we should only tow 1500 lbs, there are 2 other things to keep in mind;
1. You're going to put gear and food, etc. in there, so don't buy a 1500 lb. trailer.
2. Another thing to keep in mind is the tongue weight limit of 175 lbs., which for a max 1500 lb. trailer, should not be a problem. However, at these light weights, it's easy to load tongue heavy.

Another trailer type to keep in mind is a teardrop trailer. There are several manufacturers out there, but they can be built DIY if you have some woodworking and moderate electrical skills. Check out Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers ? Index page

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
699 Posts
Sorry for the delay. Yes, I do mean to say that I intend to be towing up to 1700 lbs. After much research I have come to the conclusion that the only significant difference (1,200 lbs. worth anyway) between the Outback and Forester/Crostrek towing limitations is the OEM hitch attachment. Product liability being what it is, the lowest common denominator is always used, no exceptions. I use a Torklift hitch that has a higher rating than the OEM one AND reinforces the rear subframe. I also have the smallest brakes but the trailer has its own brakes. I have to turn down the trailer brakes to get a neutral brake feel. Basically, every argument justifying the 1,500 pound limit has been neutralized.

GD

·
Registered
2007 L.L. Bean Edition
45 Posts
Wow, I only have a 07, but this post makes me happy I have my C25 HD pickup! my next travel trailer has to be 30+ footer, I lived in a 20 footer for 2 years wayyyyyy to small! also make me not want a 2014+ for the rare times I want to tow a bike or 3 with my subi 0o.

AUD

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
227 Posts
Teardrop Trailers are good sized to tow with a Forester

I'm building a 5' x 10' fiberglass teardrop trailer with brakes that I'll be able to tow with my Forester. The weight goal for its construction is to keep it under 1200 lbs. in order to have enough capacity for food, water, an ac/dc fridge freezer, a stove/oven, cookware, clothes, bedding, folding chairs and other camping supplies. I've installed a 2" type III Hidden Hitch and both 4-way and 7-way wiring to the forester. I may add a transmission cooler after the teardrop is built.

There are many teardrop trailer manufacturers that can be used with a Forester.

Oregon Trail'R is a small manufacturer of high quality teardrops. Overnight'R: This Is How We Roll video https://youtu.be/7qdi9HvYhxE Oregon Trail'R FronTear teardrop tour video https://youtu.be/KagO8rLf5Bw

Camp Inn are probably the best commercially made teardrop trailers. They are all custom made with many options to choose from. Their most spacious model is the round front 560 Raindrop . The Unofficial Camp Inn Forum is a great place to share ideas and learn insider ideas from Camp Inn owners. Dogrunning is an owners video of the Raindrop: https://youtu.be/_F9BNopJrIQ

Little Guy Trailers is the biggest manufacturer of teardrop trailers with many models to choose from and a big price range. They have a friendly and informative forum: Little Guy Forum

Vistabule Teardrop Trailers are especially light and airy. Cosmo is an enthusiastic Vistabule owner who's recorded several YouTube videos. https://youtu.be/OLIC0qQ0-3g show some of his improvements to his trailer. Vistabule Factory Visit video: https://youtu.be/TcT0fCrwRoY

TC Teardrops is one of the more affordable teardrop trailer makers. Their models range from 4' x 8' to 5' x 10'. All can be customized.

Tiny Yellow Teardrop is a fun blog about teardrop trailers and camping in them. https://youtu.be/74Lm7dAx15M is an informative video by Kirsten the blog's author showing off her own teardrop trailer.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Diesel CVT
56 Posts
Hello,

.....from Germany.

Out of the Store you can towl 2000Kg with a Forester Diesel CVT in Germany (12% hill with brakes on camper).

But there ist a stronger coupling you can buy.

With that coupling and the possibility switch the Forester from Car to Jeep you can towl up to 3000Kg!

In Germany a Car ist Typ M1 and a Jeep ist Typ M1G.

It's very funny too read about the differences in worldmarkets.....

Martin

1 - 20 of 40 Posts