Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have researched and fully understand that metal contracting when cooling down will cause clicking noises coming from the engine/exhaust. However the amount of clicking coming from my 2014 Forester surely cant be normal. I've never come across another car that made as much noise as this, its like a symphony. Lasts for about 5 mins. Sometimes with the engine running I can hear clicking as well, but not as fast a tempo as this.

Anybody's elses car ticks and clicks as much as this? Could it be something more serious?

Video

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
793 Posts
:LOL:

Probably just the heat shields creeping against each other and the pipes. I use coarse stainless steel wool at overlapping areas.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
793 Posts
@clim, Take the shields off and apply strips of steel wool in place with some high temperature RTV. I noticed when I had the shields off that there were places that it looked like pads were missing from the shields. So that's where I came up with the idea. I also built my own clamp to replace the deteriorated one and replaced a lot of bolts. I'm still not done. I need to deal with one fastener holding the shield up against one of the manifolds.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Okay, it took me a couple of minutes to find an example of what I was talking about on the OEM shield. This is the pad I was talking about that has worn away.

Automotive lighting Missile Gesture Office supplies Ammunition

I say put steel wool wherever you see something rubbing. Even under where the clamp goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts