Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm perplexed. I am working on a friends 2014 w/o PowerGate option. The problem is is that once you open the latch by the exterior switch, it will not reset. So in essence it remains in the open position so you can’t shut the hatch and the door open light is illuminated. The latch and actuator have been replaced twice now. I can separate the latch from the actuator and it works just fine. If I manually set the latch and then reinstall the actuator, the open switch will trip it as designed. Its just that the actuator won’t reset to allow the latch to reset. Not sure if it’s a switch problem or a BCM issue. Anyone been there and done this?

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
738 Posts
what happens if you push the "grabber" that wraps itself around the latch-peg in with a screwdriver?

Is it possible that they need alignment?

I've had it in the past where the peg was just too far away and the latch couldn't reach properly no matter how hard you slammed the tail-gate-shut.

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem correctly...

PS: I am reading w/o as without...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, yes it is without. Secondly the mechanical portion of the latch works as designed. You can trip the lever and it locks just fine. Then you can hit the release and then unlatches as designed. But once the actuator is attached, it stays in the open position in will not latch on the striker. So for some reason it's not resetting once it's been opened to latch properly. When you hit the open switch on the tailgate, the actuator trips the lock to open. The problem is is it does not reset to relatch When shut. Nothing is out of adjustment everything is as it should be.

The actuator is a worm Drive system. It goes One Direction when activated to trip the latch. That's why I was wondering if the BCM somehow reverses polarity so the Worm Drive goes in the opposite direction to reset.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
738 Posts
Oh, I get what you're saying now. The "unlocker" opens the latch and appears to hold it open.

Sorry no idea how to resolve that...

Would it be possible that the unlock-switch doesn't disengage? I'm going to assume here that the switch on the outside sends an electrical signal that triggers current to be sent to the actuator. Have you checked the current being sent to the actuator to see if that current drops off after it has been unlocked?

One would think that the actuator would automagically reset after the latch has been opened.

I don't know what the physical parts looks like, just blindly trying to trouble-shoot... (what I would check if I were faced with this situation)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts