Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that a Subaru Forester forum is going to attract enthusiasts who are much more likely to purchase an XT than a normally aspirated version. But geez.

Subaru is expecting that turbos will represent about 6-8% of all Forester sales, correct?

Also, Subaru targets a significant demographic which purports to be environmentally sensitive - in addition to the "performance" crowd which they also target.

I'm coming to the Forester from a Honda CIVIC hybrid. I've grown used to 45-50 MPG. While I need more space, going to low 30's to high 20's for mpg is painful enough - I can't envision going to the mid to low 20's AND paying for 93 octane gas. I can't be the only one who had that thought process.

I want a reliable car that's cost-effective, safe, and economical to operate and is also comfortable and able to accommodate myself and my growing children. When I want performance - and can afford it - I will get a nice red sports car.

Again, I can't be the only one who went through this thought process.

SO, where are all the non-turbo 2014 Forester owners?????

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
286 Posts
LOL. here is one. Lots of us on the forum.

While I admire the XT the regular 2.5 is just fine for me. Had mine for about a month and am enjoying it very much. It gets almost the same real world mileage as the smaller/lighter/more aero hyundai elantra it replaced. :rock:

Saturday Snow and Sun by Doug in Idaho, on Flickr

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
I feel your pain! There's got to be a section for us old farts who bought a Forester just for comfortable transportation.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i prem 6-spd manual
39 Posts
I just got myself a 2.5i Prem, though my reasoning was that I didn't want an auto or CVT and the premium was the highest trim available in the US in a manual. I'd have gone for the turbo if I could have gotten it with a stick.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel your pain! There's got to be a section for us old farts who bought a Forester just for comfortable transportation.
I turn 50 on the 30th - so your "old-farts" comment really struck a raw nerve... :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium CVT
12 Posts
I also have a 2.5 premium (CVT) and have no complaints and thus haven't had to complain. I am eagerly waiting to see how it performs during the MN winter months. I am expecting it do be better than the 2002 model it replaced.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,013 Posts
There was a poll done here a while back. The results will show you that there are quite a few NA's on here -

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f62/what-do-you-own-turbo-na-176465/
Exactly.......I'm 67 and drive a NA bc (to me) its more practical. When I was young and dumb (no offense folks ;) ) I was interested waaay more in cars and performance. Its no longer a priorityt in my life.... too many other interests. I had a '57 Chevy at the age of 17 and a new '69 Camaro at the age of 23.

I don't care if 99% of the users on here have a turbo..I still like the board (and the people)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
Some of us have both! :smile:

·
Registered
2014 Forester X 6spd
323 Posts
The only reason I went with the non-turbo is because subaru doesnt sell the turbo deisel in the U.S.
I'm not going to waste money on a turbo-gas vehicle.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
59 Posts
Another NA here! I think you'll find a lot more XT's posting because they'll more easily fit into the enthusiast category than a lot of NA owners.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
178 Posts
I went from a Prius to a 2014 FXT. True, it pains me to fill it up with the lower MPG than NA and the premium fuel. But, life is short isn't it? Plus, I am driving a lot less than before. So, I want my drives now to be fun and exciting instead of boring and point a to b. I thought about the NA, but I wanted to do it right this time and get everything I wanted with it. You can't go wrong with either one. It's nice Subaru gives options for both drivers.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
59 Posts
That is silly. Really a pick-up truck is going to be sold as a forester? But everyone is noticing subaru's success. I noticed that both the RAV 4 commercials and the CRV commercials make direct comparisons with the forester (often misleading ones, surprise, surprise) but not with each other! Weird given what a tiny part of the market we are. Praising through faint damnation, as it were.
Could be a regional commercial. I see so many Subarus in the Pacific Northwest. Mostly Outbacks, but a fair amount of Foresters and Imprezas. Other manufacturers would be wise to try to go after Subaru here, not that I condone misleading ads. If anyone is considering a new Rav4, CRV, and Forester, they'd be silly to choose the CRV or Rav4. The CRV is just cheap, cheap, cheap looking. Rav4 we barely considered because it looked hideous and absolutely no real leather used in the top trim level.

·
Registered
2010 XT Premium
15 Posts
I just got myself a 2.5i Prem, though my reasoning was that I didn't want an auto or CVT and the premium was the highest trim available in the US in a manual. I'd have gone for the turbo if I could have gotten it with a stick.
'10 FXT, '13FXT (because the '14s just plain sucked), and a '14 OB3.6R.

Our FXTs avg 24 in town, 26 at 65, and 23 at 75. I don't typically drive conservatively - that's why we got XTs.

Ironically, if you want good mileage, get a 3.6R. We had an '11 (that was traded for the '13 FXT) that got 28 normally, and the '14 we've had for a few weeks is between 28-30 over the same roads the FXTs travel. There are 2 other 2.5 Outbacks on our street and they post low 20s mileage over similar routes. They got them for "efficiency" and can't believe we best them in a 3.6.

We test drove both the '14 2 and 2XT. Both offered anemic performance in our "a little over normal" driving style. Not to mention that we had to drive in # to even begin to get similar behavior. Having driven them for half a day each, the '14 XT averaged 15 (fifteen) mpg on the same route we get 24 in our 2.5XTs. The NA '14 got 18. We've had several competent Subaru drivers compare our 2.5XTs to the '14s and there is no comparison. Subaru has ditched any modicum of "performance" that they once had.

Our last holdout is that they will keep the STi in a useable configuration, or else we have bought our last Subaru. They've turned them into CR-V equivalents.

Thus they can take the CVT and stick it.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts