Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The security indicator light which appears as the illuminated "padlock/car" symbol near the bottom of the instrument cluster now blinks when the vehicle is turned off. It blinks every few seconds while the car is unlocked and more rapidly when the vehicles is locked.
I purchased the vehicle brand new in 2014 and yesterday, March 1st 2015, is the first time either my wife or I have seen this occur. How do you shut the darned thing off?! I called the dealer today and the service adviser told me this is normal and that neither I or my wife noticed it before and there's no way of shutting it off. Now, I 'm sure we would have noticed it before and I hope someone can tell us how to stop it.
The vehicle is the premium models with the base engine, all weather package with navigation, various other options, no oil consumption issues, 28.8 average MPG on a 60/40 mix of highway/city driving, has an air conditioner that works, and otherwise works well. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have...

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
It is normal.

It is just letting you know that the immobilizer is armed and ready. The fast flashing you are seeing means it will arm when you close the door, if I recall correctly.

Why would you want to shut off the anti theft device?

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I haven't seen this light appear before and I while I don't want to shut off an anti-theft device, I'd prefer not have a blinking light on the cluster forever to remind me of the fact that I happen to have one...

·
Registered
2012 Forester X set and forget
276 Posts
Why would you want to turn it off???
It's nice knowing that if some creep was looking and it made him think twice to break and enter..

And you just never noticed it...
It's always been there...

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
1,359 Posts
It has always been there and is functioning entirely normal......

I too will add myself to the camp of "why would you want to turn the visual confirmation of the presence of a theft deterrent device on the vehicle off".....

·
Registered
2014 XTP Fancy Rubber Band
1,124 Posts
Why do people buy long sleeve shirts then cut the sleeves off at the elbows?

Some things just have no answer...

For the OP, the only what I see to disable the light would be to cut the wire of pin #40 of the plug for the instrument panel. However, doing so could affect the operation of the system. I'd suggest the method some people use to fix check engine lights, a strategically placed piece of electrical tape.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
91 Posts
I am glad the security indicator light blinks/flashes when I secure/lock the doors. Let's those who may get a stupid idea see the vehicle is security equipped.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Forester
4 Posts
The security indicator light which appears as the illuminated "padlock/car" symbol near the bottom of the instrument cluster now blinks when the vehicle is turned off. It blinks every few seconds while the car is unlocked and more rapidly when the vehicles is locked.
I purchased the vehicle brand new in 2014 and yesterday, March 1st 2015, is the first time either my wife or I have seen this occur. How do you shut the darned thing off?! I called the dealer today and the service adviser told me this is normal and that neither I or my wife noticed it before and there's no way of shutting it off. Now, I 'm sure we would have noticed it before and I hope someone can tell us how to stop it.
The vehicle is the premium models with the base engine, all weather package with navigation, various other options, no oil consumption issues, 28.8 average MPG on a 60/40 mix of highway/city driving, has an air conditioner that works, and otherwise works well. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have...
Were you ever able to resolve this, and get the security indicator light to NOT flash when the car is parked?

I bought a 2018 Forester recently, and I am absolutely certain that this light did NOT start flashing until a couple of days ago, I spent a lot of time sitting in the car while parked after I bought it, going through the systems and settings and getting to know all the controls. And I most definitely would have noticed this light flashing from the get-go, if it was. And I know it was not flashing either when we first looked at the car at the dealership.

So there must be a way to turn it off.

I don’t care how many people report that it is supposed to be flashing to indicate the security system is working. Or that say it always has been flashing, and I just didn’t notice it. It was NOT flashing before, and I’d like to return it to that state.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,542 Posts
The blinking of the security icon is when the car is locked and the security system is set or is ready for activation.. The icon is for both the security alarm AND for the immobilizer system. It will not blink regularly when the key is in the ignition.

It is a deterrent to thieves. Back before we had numerous factory security systems, and you'd add an aftermarket security system, it would blink to let a potential thief know that there was a security system (and armed) in your car and to move on. It's a deterrent, just as those yard signs and stickers (protected by _ - add your own alarm service company). It just is.

Also, in my 2014 owner's manual, there is a reference to the icon in chapter 3 - Controls & Gauges - page 28. It also refers to chapter 2, page 20 (Alarm System). There is detailed information on how the system works and also how to deactivate the system.

Also of note - the system is set at the factory as activated. This is all from the owner's guide. And as it is set from the factory for activation, that means it was on and blinking when you bought the car. It flashes when the system is able to be armed AND when the system is armed (longer duration of blinks, I believe).

Mind you, it may be different for other years and generations of the Forester - the above is ONLY from my 2014 owner's guide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts