Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some rough idle issues on and off with the 2014 Forester 2.5, car is 86000km old.

Would like to order seafoam and try a treatment through the air intake
I am not sure be safe to use seafoam on Subaru engines , has anyone used that ,

What is your opinion?

Thank you,

·
Registered
2019 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6AT
541 Posts
@ziy2014 I think it's safe, but difficult to say if it will solve your rough idle problem. ~53k miles is relatively low for carbon build-up to be an issue on a port injected engine. My guess would be that your spark plugs might need changing.

Have you kept up with regular maintenance?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,828 Posts
Seafoam used to be a favorite discussion topic here, a long time ago. IIRC, nobody reported any problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
I picked up the car 4 weeks ago and the records show that the plugs were replaced in October last year.

Right now engine idles at 700 rpm in park and 600 in Drive with shaking and sensable vibration when I am stopped at the red light .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should I suspect the engine mounts if cleaning throttle body and doing idle relearn does not help?

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
447 Posts
I'm not in a position to tell you that your Subaru doesn't have a problem. But ...

The Subaru boxer engine doesn't idle as smoothly as in-line 4-cylinder mills. A little stumble or two at a light is not a problem.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
<snip>Would like to order seafoam and try a treatment through the air intake
I am not sure be safe to use seafoam on Subaru engines , has anyone used that , What is your opinion?
I've used it and I think it's safe. I'm not exactly sure how necessary it is, if you use the recommended gasoline.

All of my Subarus were purchased used. I really had no way of knowing what kind of gas had been used (turbo cars like 93 octane gas - and may collect a bit of carbon at lower octane). So, a can of Seafoam - half through the tank and half sucked into the intake - was simply a way to clean out the carbon cobwebs.

And, you might look for vendors of TopTier gasoline. It has additives to clean your injectors and generally keep the cooties out of your engine.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 5-speed manual
169 Posts
Check for loose or damaged spark plug wires. Maybe even pull the plugs and inspect their condition and if they are the correct heat range and type of spark plug. Check for vacuum leaks and cracked or disconnected vacuum hoses.

With car repair, The Basics, first and foremost.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
3 Posts
I've used it and I think it's safe. I'm not exactly sure how necessary it is, if you use the recommended gasoline.

All of my Subarus were purchased used. I really had no way of knowing what kind of gas had been used (turbo cars like 93 octane gas - and may collect a bit of carbon at lower octane). So, a can of Seafoam - half through the tank and half sucked into the intake - was simply a way to clean out the carbon cobwebs.

And, you might look for vendors of TopTier gasoline. It has additives to clean your injectors and generally keep the cooties out of your engine.
Hi all,

Should I be concerned if using SeaFoam in the intake of sogging the cat?

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to give an update about the rough idle issue,

I replaced the pcv valve yesterday and seems like the problem is gone.

Old valve did leak when tested it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts