Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Limited
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Forester 2.5i Limited, 57K miles, Most driving is around town

Front pads need to be replaced. Is it important to use Subaru pads or are after market pads, say from Firestone, ok to use?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
81 Posts
Factory pads are not the best available. There are several brands and sources that would provide upgrades.

Here is one source for info:

Here is another:

I have over the last thirty years used Hawk, Akebono, and Bosch pads and been satisfied about stopping power, noise, dust, and longevity with each. Others will offer advice, as well, I am sure.

Generally, there are three types of pads, organic, metallic, and ceramic. Ceramic brakes are very quiet, produce less dust as they wear, and perform consistently at a wider range of temperatures and driving conditions.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,901 Posts
The answer depends on you. For every person on this forum there will be different answer to your question. Some here will specify a specific brand they like, other's will say Subaru pads are better, etc....

·
Registered
2019 Touring (54k miles 5/2021)
97 Posts
I used to always buy “performance” pads… but I love the pads that came with my car. Almost no dust, great stopping power, and they’re still going strong at 55k miles. Anything else would just be taking a chance on the unknown.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5 Premium, Black
72 Posts
my 2017, when I got it at about 35k miles had the factory pads. They worked just fine for my style driving (you really cant thrash a stock Premium Forester). All of my replacement pad over the years
have been run of the mill inexpensive ( organic?) Ebay type. They also worked just fine (for my driving). I believe they were about $20 fronts / $20 rears. Metallic pads probably stop faster but are harder on the rotors and possibly prone to squeaking. Rotors..... have always gotten the no name non drilled/non slotted type. Never had a problem.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,481 Posts
I couldn’t get EBC front pads to fit my 2018. They had lots more dangly bits than the stock pads, and these seemed to get in the way. EBC rears had just one thing sticking out in the whole set, just like stock, and were an easy fit.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,491 Posts
Subaru OEM pads and rotors have lasted for me so I use them, and they're good well made parts that come complete with all clips, grease and wear indicators. (which I don't wait to hear). I check pads and rotors every time I rotate tires.

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
570 Posts
oem are akebono proact pads and centric blank rotors. buiy from your favorite auto parts dealer and save over dealer prices

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,363 Posts
I installed Raybestos Element 3 pads and rotors all around a year ago. They claim to give you the best attributes of ceramic and semi-metallic pads. Stopping power is great, and the brake feel is really nice.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
28 Posts
I have gotten in to the habit of just replacing the rotors with new pads on the front especially. Any pulsing after hard use just not worth the effort/cost to turn (especially if do your own driveway repairs). Went to Centric pads and rotors on my 2014 and they have been very solid to date. Those Raybestos mentioned have me intrigued for future use though.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
370 Posts
I've replaced both the front and rear pads a few times with OEM Subaru pads. The stopping power is excellent and they come with all of the hardware and fit perfectly.

I replace my brake pads early before they get worn so there's no damage to the rotors. 120,000 miles later and I'm still on the original Subaru rotors.

StanF

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
21 Posts
Easy job. Went with generic eBay parts which are just fine for a daily driver here in Florida (no mountains or long downhill roads). I did have a stuck RH caliper piston and that wore the pad asymmetrically and scored the disk. Caliper rebuild kit is two square section O rings (cheap), used scotch-brite on the pistons to clean them carefully. This was 20K ago, car now has 80K and is just fine. Rears are easy, too, disks didn't need to be changed. I understand if you have the electrical e-brake it is a bit tougher, our car has the lever between the front seats.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
79 Posts
Easy job to do yourself in my opinion if you have some vehicle maintenance experience. My personal opinion is Dimpled and Slotted disk rotors from Brake Performance . com. Lifetime Warranty against warpage. The pads they can include if you get them as a set are good.

The Pads I like the best are NRS brake pads. They are made in Canada but are galvanized and have a mechanical attachment of the friction material to the backing pad in addition to being the best stopping brake pads I have ever put on a vehicle.

If I lived in the Rust Belt areas I wouldn't go with anything else. I live in California and still won't go with anything else.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
9 Posts
2014 Forester 2.5i Limited, 57K miles, Most driving is around town

Front pads need to be replaced. Is it important to use Subaru pads or are after market pads, say from Firestone, ok to use?

Thank you.
I've used Powerstop on both our departed 2012 Forester and on my 2012 F-150. The difference was amazing, versus the stock pads and rotors. I recommend replacing pads and rotors: replace them with a kit - to make sure you get all the necessary bits. The investment is worth it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I’ve used Autozone pads on all my vehicles for hundreds of thousands of miles. You get the good, better, best options, and all have a lifetime warranty. I’ve always gone with the best option. Not much more money, and usually upgrade to ceramic. When they wear out, buy new ones and return the old ones for your money back. I’ve replaced my rear brakes around 33k on my 16 Trek. Upgraded to ceramic. The fronts should be due around 63 k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,481 Posts
AutoZone offers a lifetime guarantee??? Wow!!!

I still have to eat up my EBCs, but that's the first place I'll look next time.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
208 Posts
I got the Raybestos Element 3 pads and coated rotors for my rear. Pads come with the needed clips. Living in the rust belt, the coated rotors do seem to help with corrosion on the mating surfaces and are only a couple bucks more. Haven't done the fronts yet, but will likely use the same. I have about 25k on them and looking good. All new cars I've seen for the last 15 years or so have ceramic pads and seem to wear the rotors along with the pads. For the price of rotors, their not worth turning (at about $20 for a rotor, it cost that to turn them if they can). The rear pads and rotors are 73.50 today plus tax and shipping from RockAuto. They also generally have Akebono and Centric parts.

·
Registered
2011 XT Limited Auto
105 Posts
I bought a 2011 XT last fall that would clunck in the rear when changing directions. I went to pull the pads and the backing plate for the pads had separated from the friction material. The pads were Raybestos. Not sure what series as that was not stamped on them. The pads had plenty of wear material left but were junk. Replaced with Stoptech Sport pads and the improvement in performance is amazing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts