Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Automatic 2.5i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed my rear suspension clear was low today ...

anyone else encounter this??

Can it be repaired or does the suspension need to be replaced?

Im in toronto area .. if someone can recommend a good place

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Looks like rear struts. If you press on either rear quarter, does the car bounce a bit before it stops moving? If so, that points to them having failed. It happening suddenly, it kinda points to something that requires immediate attention.
Bad struts at best don't help you drive the car. It gives you very vague control.

If this did not happen suddenly, they do sag over time (ie years):
Not sure whether your year has this issue, but several model Subarus have a problem with "rear butt sag" over time. Someone here may be able to tell you as to whether your year is prone to having that problem.
Aftermarket spacers exist that get rid of this problem. You replace the struts and put these spacers on top. I did just this on my wife's legacy. With the right struts,springs and spacers, it will feel like a different car in drivability. It is amazing what you get used to over time.

Regardless, I think you need rear struts, maybe springs.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
there is zero bounce when you press on either rear quarter
You stand on the bumper or in the hatch, push down and let go.
So it goes down and comes back up? In that case, your struts are likely still struts.
The car isn't all over the place while driving? You hit a pothole and it doesn't bounce your rear end into the middle of next week? IOW, it still behaves normally?

In that case, it may be perfectly fine.
Like I said, they do sag over time. Subaru owners call that the "Saggy Butt syndrome". It happens.
Since you mentioned that you noticed it over a very short time, I'd definitely get it looked at, tho.
Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it doesnt behave normally when going over bumps you can see a difference in clearance betweeen the two rear tires.. it used to make an air sound when going over a speed bump now it makes a violent bang sound

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Ok, I see what you mean now. One side is definitely bad. They won't (or shouldn't) replace just one side's strut: They'll do both sides.
Definitely get that replaced ASAP.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Here’s a view of the difference ... it looks like coil is hanging ???
It is difficult to see from the pictures what exactly is going on but it looks like the spring may have broken.
It does happen and would make a horrible racket.

Not sure what your mechanical abilities are but, unless you know what you're doing, don't mess with suspension components. I've done them on my cars for the last number of decades and they make me nervous to this day.
Get it looked at soon. That's potentially quite dangerous.

·
Registered
2020 Touring as of 8/28/2020!
568 Posts
Both coil springs on my 2014 broke for no obvious reason. After searching the internet a bit apparently it is a known issue with the 2014's but kept on the down low. My dealership noticed it when I went in for routine maintenance. They said it never should have happened since I don't off-road and fixed it for free.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
last stupid questions... is it possible that all i need to do is have both coils replaced? and the shocks/struts are still good?

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
last stupid questions... is it possible that all i need to do is have both coils replaced? and the shocks/struts are still good?
No such thing as a stupid question.

They are five years old. The may be okay but you won't really know for sure until you have them replaced. I'd replace them.
The labor is where the expense comes in and it is the same either way.

They sell entire complete strut assemblies; strut/spring/hat/bearing -- all put together.
You buy them and put them in. That could be an economical solution.

Edit: note, I'm not endorsing this particular setup but KYB makes decent struts. Here is Walmart selling a complete assembly. Not sure whether this one is for your car but no doubt you can find similar deals on line.
You would then need to find a mechanic that could put them in for you. It isn't particularly difficult, especially with the car on a lift. In reality, it likely takes an hour labor for two complete strut assemblies (so they'll charge you two).

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,789 Posts
Midas. You obviously don't know a whole lot (no slam). They are reasonable priced

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If this happens to anyone in Canada i recommend filing a complaint with Transport Canada 1-800-333-0510
im only the second person in Canada to have filed a complaint.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts