Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,284 Posts
All depends how much smaller it is, if smaller. May have to drill it out with drill bit size appropriate to the tap.

It may be aprox same dia., if so ,it may not leave a strong thread.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,707 Posts
@jicjoc if you modify the ball stud mounting & you need to replace those lifts in the future, you may not be able to find one that will fit. Another question, are those lifts still good, as in, do they... will they lift the hatch? If no, then it's time to replace the entire lift.

As I noted on my previous post, the thread retapping may not work. It depends on if there's enough material there to tap. If you decide to do this, make sure, 100%, what thread the ball stud threads are. It would "suck big time", if you retap the threads & it still didn't fit!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,284 Posts
If you modify the ball stud mounting & you need to replace those lifts in the future, you may not be able to find one that will fit.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]
You make a good point. I've got into more trouble ,many a time, when I bulled my way into a repair trying to make something work instead of being patient and getting the right "stuff".
I wonder how much shipping is from liftsupportdepot zip 92011 in Carlsbad, Calizuela... cannot beat the$70 price per pair which includes all hardware.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts