Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2014 forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I live in snowy salty Canada and my rear door arms both corroded and snapped at the bearing at the weekend. Both arms work fine just the end bolt neck snapped. Is it possible to get these repaired since its just a small break?
Thanks

·
Registered
2014 forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly, how do I get the old ball out of the socket to allow me pop the new one in?

Alternatively the'end' on the hydraulic arm is 'crimped' on. Can it be pried off somehow? It seems a shame to waste 2 good arms due to a defective 10$ bearing.

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
93 Posts
Not that I did this probably use wd40 wait awhile maybe a day and pick up some left handed drill bits. We had to do this when bolts broke on our shaker tables granted the bolts were threaded and would unscrew out using left handed drill bits. Maybe the wd40 would loosen the ball to come out while drilling.

Lou Cioccio

·
Registered
2014 forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a great idea Lou. If I just drill into the sheared ball a few times it might allow enough room for the old ball to drop out? I'll try it. Worth a try to save 200$ thanks

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,707 Posts

·
Registered
2014 forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drilled the broken bits out today! Took a while. One popped out perfectly. the other there is still a little bit left in there
Awaiting new nuts to see if they'll work

·
Registered
2014 forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i got the new nuts for cheap enough online. But they wont screw into the trunk? The thread is wrong!!! What thread are these things on the 2014 forester?
Can anyone help?

Ive rang 5 or 6 places and they dont sell the bolt separate from the arm, and the arms are expensive as already mentioned. Possibly 150$ cad each! ***

·
Super Moderator
35,707 Posts
2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,284 Posts
I,am confused, you are talking about nuts and bolts, and I saw in bman's post#4 replacement ball studs with matching lock nuts.

Did you purchase them?

Do the ball studs NOT thread into the hatch? That is the problem?

$70 per pair of struts
https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/year-model-search/?#?Customfieldincludeinmmtysearch=Yes&Year=2015&Make=SUBARU&Model=FORESTER&Trim=2.5I CONVENIENCE WAGON 4-DOOR

Ofcourse they would call themselves liftsupportdepot......
Just input your yr make model info...
Made by Showa, ,$70 USD

·
Registered
2014 forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry im a little slow, what dimension/thread did i buy that was incorrect?

·
Super Moderator
35,707 Posts
@jicjoc on that Amazon link you posted, read the Q&A. On one, the seller wrote "5/16 RH thread". That would indicate SAE thread & not metric thread, as you need for the Forester.

► Disclaimer - NOT recommended!
It might be possible to a use a 5/16"-18 tap to convert the metric threads to SAE threads, but that could cause a problem down the road, as the Subaru factory/OEM part would no longer fit. There's also the possibility the thread retapping may not work & you'd really be hosed!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2014 forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. So my mate had a full set of taps that i could use to tap the hole into 5/16's thread... Is that a bad idea? I understand its modifying the car but does it really matter?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts