Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014, Forester, Touring
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Is it possible to move(duplicate) the rear camera view from MFD to OEM Video/Audio system?

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,328 Posts
I see that this is your first post, so welcome! We're glad to have you here.

For the best forum experience, we recommend filling in your personal details – car info and location. That makes them immediately available every time you post, so it’s much easier for us to offer appropriate technical assistance, recommend good local sources of supplies or service, and address possible differences in local laws, vehicle specifications, and driving conditions. Or even volunteer to come help with the wrenching.

Click the next to the right icon at the very top band on the page, your avatar. Then click Account Settings. Fill in the important ones – Vehicle Details and Location. You can also add a custom avatar there. To add a signature, click on Signature over at the left of that page.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,529 Posts
Question on your image - that's not a 2014 model - as the HK system (with Nav for the touchscreen) was not available - at least not what is shown in my 2014 model year owner's guide. But I do recall seeing a test in Motor Trend or similar with the touch-screen system with the HK audio set up.

No matter, though, as the Fujitsu head unit (what was the HK system with Nav) did not have inputs on the back for the video input ... This is the back from a listing on ebay -

Without the video input, there's no way to do it.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,529 Posts
I just pulled an old issue of Motor Trend (August 2013) where they compare the 2014 Forester Touring against Mazda CX5, Ford Escape and Toyota RAV4 - and the center stack has the touch screen audio unit with navigation (optional on the Premium and Limited and standard on Touring with the HK speaker system and amp)...

BTW - the Forester came in 2nd in that test, with the biggest complaint being that HK/touchscreen head unit.

I know that I do have an old 2014 brochure floating around someplace, but not sure where. Found an online version of the 2014 brochure and here's the dash image with the navigation unit...

But even in the owner's manual, the MFD section only references programming using the buttons on the lower section of the steering wheel and the hazard light switch is the larger button (like above) without the programming lever in the picture in the original post.

But that still doesn't negate that the touchscreen unit does not have the input on the back for the camera...

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,286 Posts
I have a 2015 that came with the Clarion. When I had the head unit replaced (by World Wide Stereo in Montgomeryville PA) with a Sony, they wired the camera so the image appears on both the MFD and the new screen simultaneously. Don’t ask me how, but it’s definitely possible.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,529 Posts
^^^ but not with the stock unit... the original question.

·
Registered
2014, Forester, Touring
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot for answers.
My Forester is 2014 Touring with eyesight support and the stock unit is exactly the one the was shown on my post.

If someone could upload the wiring diagram for this unit, it will be helpful.

·
Registered
2014, Forester, Touring
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@privatepublic99 thanks a lot for the information (y). I will contact with them to understand if every thing will work fine after those changes.

·
Registered
2018 Forester MT
79 Posts
I later installed an aftermarket headunit and the iDatalink SU2 harness I used also came with an adapter for the 14-15 Touring MFDs that duplicates the rear camera video signal to an RCA output. The 16-18 MFDs normally leave that connection empty, however if you connect the adapter and the MFD detects a video signal it will activate and display when in reverse (or by applying 12V to pin 8, when moving forward up to 15MPH). I added a side view camera to feed into it, which has been great for tight parking spaces or parallel parking in the city.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
17 Posts
I don't mean to hijack a thread, but just a quick question (only doing this because the OP had the same OEM HU as me (I also have a 14 Forester with HK and Nav), and he already has the pictures posted). I have replaced the HU with a Kenwood, everything works, but I would really like to use the factory GPS and Sirius XM antenna for better appearance and hopefully better XM reception. I haven't been able to figure out what connectors the factory connectors are (they plug into the sockets in the upper right of his pic, the grey and blue connectors). I don't mind building the cables myself, but I need the connectors that mate on the factory end. Note, it is not the
Maestro Acc-SAT-TO2 Sat Radio and GPS Antenna adaptors for TO2 Vehicles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts