Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 forester 2.5i premium
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been trying to figure this out on my own to no avail but failed so I figured I would get a couple of other heads on the issue. Recently my forester has started making a rattling noise while driving that I am pretty sure sounds like it is coming from the front left wheel area. I wasn't quite sure which topic to post this in but there are a couple of reasons I think it might be driveline. 1. It only does it when the car is moving, I can sit in my garage all day and rev it up and down all day and it will never make the noise which tells me it is not some exhaust component, and 2. It only does it when the gas peddle is depressed and I don't mean while the engine is revved up, as soon as I let off the gas pedal it stops, doesn't even wait for the engine to rev down. This tells me it is nothing in the engine. I checked the brakes, still have a good amount of material left and nothing unusual looking on either the pads or disk, the bearing which there is a tiny bit of grind but no movement, and the backing plate which is still securely attached. A couple of other things of note, it sounds metallic when it happens and it is not 100% of the time but more often than not. Also, it doesn't matter if I'm turning or straight. I am at a loss and hope someone can provide some ideas.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium MT
47 Posts
Is it a rattling sound or a humming sound? My 2015 just started making this strange metallic humming sound but only at 43ish MPH to 60ish, it gets louder. It sounds like its coming from the rear of the car. It only started after doing some spirited driving on the mountain roads this past weekend

·
Registered
2014 forester 2.5i premium
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I finally got a chance to get under the car and look at things.
How many miles on the odometer? Driveshaft u-joints and/or carrier bearing?
It's got about 120k miles on the clock and I checked the driveshaft but everything looked fine none of the bearings or bushings are worn. I did however notice that one of my axle shafts in the front had some forward and back movement but only when in the air. I'm not sure if it was because it was uncompressed or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts