Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and I've been searching and couldn't find the exact answer to my question. I was performing my first diff oil change. On the front, I drained the diff just fine, and I opened the check plug just fine. However, I missed a very critical part of the instructions for filling it back up -- instead of using the fill port on the passenger side, I used the nearly identical port exactly opposite on the drivers side (slightly above the axle). I realize now this is wrong. :frown2:

After doing some reading here, it sounds like what I did was add diff oil into my CVT. Can someone confirm if that is in fact where that port goes?

If so, my next question is this (and this is what I cannot find the answer to): does that port fill directly into the CVT pan (so if I drain the pan, will all of the diff oil that I added by mistake come out)? Or does that port fill into some other chamber in the CVT where it won't readily or easily drain back out?

My hope is that I can just drain the CVT, then follow the proper refill procedure for the CVT and it will be fine. But if that fill port goes into some magic black hole in the CVT, I'm worried the diff oil I added by mistake is hidden in there somewhere and won't drain back out. I have not started the car at all yet.

Help!

Thanks,
Adam

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
I would play it safe and get the CVT drained and filled at the dealer.

Fill the front differential up properly and have it towed to the shop. It isn't worth risking damage to your transmission.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,574 Posts
No, it has not been started.
Don't. Have it towed (flatbed only, obviously) to the dealer as others have said. I really hope for your sake that it will be a simple drain/flush and refill job. Worst case would be a contaminated transmission and replacement. I hope it doesn't come to that! Good luck!

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In case this helps anyone else who has made the same mistake as me, after calling a few dealers, I finally got a hold of a pretty helpful service tech. He admitted they've made the same mistake in their shop since the plugs on both side of the diff look the same and are located in almost the same location. He confirmed that plug does go into the CVT, but he couldn't say for sure if it went directly to the pan or not (he thinks it is a plug to check the torque converter pressure or something). But he said that they simply do the drain and fill procedure twice on the CVT when they make that mistake there. So even if I had it towed there, he said that is what they would do, so he said I can do that myself if I am comfortable with it.

With that being the case, I will probably proceed down that path unless anyone on this forum knows something different or has more information than that.

Thanks for replies!

Adam

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
1,359 Posts
I would get it towed to the dealership and let them do the drain and fill (twice $$$)......don't let pride get in the way of this one......if you make things worse from here (if what the tech said is true....that may be all that is needed to be done)....it could mean a really big costly mistake from your pocket......new CVT's aren't cheap.....good luck OP

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,574 Posts
Encouraging tht the tech told you that a drain and fill (twice) should do it. Yet, it's also disturbing that dealer techs have made teh same mistake. :icon_eek:

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a copy of the procedure that specifies the fluid temp and how to shift, then keep topping fluid, etc. It looks manageable. I'll probably be attempting it tomorrow. I can post an update on how it goes.

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
1,359 Posts
Encouraging tht the tech told you that a drain and fill (twice) should do it. Yet, it's also disturbing that dealer techs have made teh same mistake. :icon_eek:
:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to give everyone an update, I ended up dropping the cvt pan so I could get the most amount of fluid out. The diff oil was definitely mixed in there. About 7 quarts came out. I then cleaned up the inside as best as I could, and put the pan back on.

I then followed the refill procedure by adding cvt fluid until it was full, started the car, shifted back and forth, stopped the car, topped off fluid, started car again shifted back and forth again, got the fluid temp up to 100 degrees, stopped the car, and topped it off.

I wanted to be super thorough so I drove it a bit and then drained the cvt again (just to get any residual oil out). I just used the drain plug this time, so only about 4 quarts came out. I then followed the fill procedure again.

Several hundred miles later and everything's still good!

This wasn't difficult to do so if anyone else reads this, don't be afraid to drain and fill your cvt yourself.

If any issues come up down the road, I'll update this post.

Adam

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT w/ S & S#
307 Posts
And if any transmission issues pop up while you're under warranty, take it to a different dealer, change your name and wear a disguise ... and if they ask you if anybody's messed with the transmission just remember ... Sergeant Schultz!!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2018 Forester
164 Posts
Subaru really needs to label the fill plug for the diff. Confusing to say the least. Honest mistake.
The drain and check is clearly labeled but not the fill?
If you watch you tube videos watch out when they say drivers side especially when the the drivers side is opposite in that country.😱

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,491 Posts
I have a copy of the procedure that specifies the fluid temp and how to shift, then keep topping fluid, etc. It looks manageable. I'll probably be attempting it tomorrow. I can post an update on how it goes.

Thanks
Glad you got this sorted out. What did you use to re seal the cvt pan ? The oem spec sealant is also sold by Aisin on Amazon. Re branded Threebond 1281b. Reddish brown silicone.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts