Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Forester Premium xt w 70k miles. For the last two years or so, it's been plagued by intermittent hesitation. Not horrible but something you notice when you watch for it. Particularly bad in mountains, when accelerating hard, and also when the tank gets low. We're afraid at this point about damaging the engine, and also want to get it in shape for sale.

Gas additives (Seafoam, Techron) seem to help temporarily, as does Subaru's official engine cleaning procedure. Always comes back however.

My dealer, Subaru of Jacksonville, recently began offering walnut blasting so asked for them to 1) run a full diagnosis and 2) try walnut blasting. They tried both and are stumped

We been good about regular maintenance and high test gas. Mostly we drive short trips so the engine rarely gets up to speed and blown out. Had a couple of bad experiences with Flash Foods gas (we live in Fernandina Beach Florida) but mostly stick with Tier 1.

Suggestions on what to do next?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,346 Posts
Have you done a Cvtf change? At 70k miles, you would benefit. Costs around $265

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
548 Posts
Are you tuned? not sure if related I had issues with my fuel pump ~70K where is would start acting up when it got to 1/4 tank. Replaced the LPFP and it corrected.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
350 Posts
Only short drives? Maybe not a scientific approach, but fun.... Time to drive that thing like you stole it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only short drives? Maybe not a scientific approach, but fun.... Time to drive that thing like you stole it!
I did steal it. 26K delivered from Liberty Subi in NJ. good times

Have you done a Cvtf change? At 70k miles, you would benefit. Costs around $265
I was thinking about that, will the cvt mimic engine hesitation?

Are you tuned? not sure if related I had issues with my fuel pump ~70K where is would start acting up when it got to 1/4 tank. Replaced the LPFP and it corrected.
nope, we're stock, i'll have subie guy take a look at the pump

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,515 Posts
... I had issues with my fuel pump ~70K where is would start acting up when it got to 1/4 tank. Replaced the LPFP and it corrected.
I was wondering about this. The comment about it happening on a low tank makes me think fuel pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lotsa good help here. thanks It was kinda disturbing to download the part of troubleshooting manual that covers engine hesitation today. Gets expensive fast at the dealership though within reach for an owner with skills and time. Maybe time to pass a babied Subi on to someone who can take care of it? Actually runs well most of the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts