Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.5i base without the OEM rails.

I understand this is a pain in the *** to install the OEM rails as it involves pulling down the headliner.

I enjoy pain in the *** projects and I pretty much hate all the other insanely expensive options available to me for naked roof rails/cross bars.

So, does anyone here have any experience actually installing the OEM rails onto a '14 - '18 forester? I just need confirmation that it can be done, and any possible hiccups that I will run into. Specifically, the rear connection point for the rails. Will a hole need to be drilled in the roof to make that happen?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium
1,283 Posts
I suggest checking out SSD. They have a very nice set of roof rails they make specifically for Foresters with a naked roof. The price is pretty decent too.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
554 Posts
I removed the rails from my '15. I'd suggest doing a 'swap' with a user who wants the smooth top. Then you can be certain you have all the parts needed (maybe buy some extra clips for the gutter inserts). No holes need be drilled, but you will need to drop the headliner, which means you will need to remove the A/B/C/D pillars. The C/D pillars are a pain, B pillars are a pain to reinstall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am in the same situation. This post here has a pretty basic overview of the procedure. It says you have to drill one hole. The factory kit (I think) comes with the gaskets so your roof won't leak. My body shop refused to do it because of the hole to be drilled - says they don't want to warranty the work if it starts leaking. I am seriously considering SSD rails now (even though I like the OEM ones better).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts