Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium Cvt
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second forester and again trying to solve all the mysterious noises that come with these vehicles. Im hoping someone else has what i have now with a fix or recommendation. So in advance, thanks!

So since winter started, the cold, ive been hearing rattles, squeaks, and sometimes what sounds like metal clanking. 1st thing i did was take every single item out of the rear. Still heard it. Checked and saw the styrofoam used in the back was lose. So i put a bunch of weather stripping all around so it was snug. That also did not work. Months later i finally got my wife to drive me around while i sat in the rear. This noise seems to be coming from the rear passenger side of the car. It is so hard to pinpoint it but it is right around where the tailgate door meets the back when closed. So cant even tell if its in the car or in the tailgate door. I was thinking it could even be the passenger tailgate shock thing that holds the door up but that doesnt seem lose. Since the roads by me are crap, this sound is a constant noise. Anyone with this issue?

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,975 Posts
I've got an intermittent noise from the exact area you describe. It's also worse in the extreme cold. Almost sounds like its inside the hatch, but I'm not inclined to disassemble it to prove it. Unless I could repeat it every time, there's zero point in taking it to the dealership.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
33 Posts
This is my second forester and again trying to solve all the mysterious noises that come with these vehicles. Im hoping someone else has what i have now with a fix or recommendation. So in advance, thanks!

So since winter started, the cold, ive been hearing rattles, squeaks, and sometimes what sounds like metal clanking. 1st thing i did was take every single item out of the rear. Still heard it. Checked and saw the styrofoam used in the back was lose. So i put a bunch of weather stripping all around so it was snug. That also did not work. Months later i finally got my wife to drive me around while i sat in the rear. This noise seems to be coming from the rear passenger side of the car. It is so hard to pinpoint it but it is right around where the tailgate door meets the back when closed. So cant even tell if its in the car or in the tailgate door. I was thinking it could even be the passenger tailgate shock thing that holds the door up but that doesnt seem lose. Since the roads by me are crap, this sound is a constant noise. Anyone with this issue?
It may be that cold weather you are having. I live in Florida and have Zero noise.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
93 Posts
This problem is a common one here in the Philippines as reported by several of our members in our Subaru Club. The chief mechanic traced it to 2 sheet metals beneath the skirt on the passenger and driver side rear doors. What was done was to wedge a flat screw driver between those two sheets and pry it a bit to gain some clearance between them. Works with the Crosstrek as well (called the XV in this part of the world).

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT Linertronic CVT
99 Posts
My FXT is having this problem (metal clicking sound at left hand siderear column when driving on waving road),
@Wiretap_MD: please could you help to post some photos of this area for easy imaging.

Many thanks and appreciated your information :woohoo:

This problem is a common one here in the Philippines as reported by several of our members in our Subaru Club. The chief mechanic traced it to 2 sheet metals beneath the skirt on the passenger and driver side rear doors. What was done was to wedge a flat screw driver between those two sheets and pry it a bit to gain some clearance between them. Works with the Crosstrek as well (called the XV in this part of the world).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad I'm not alone and that there could be a fix. I agree, if there are picks that would be much appreciated :)
Thanks!

PS: This noise is worse when it got colder. It wasn't around when i first got the car in summer. Only got worse during winter. It's been 0s-20s the whole winter, brrrr.... It's so true what i've heard from some others on here.. "This car is not a winter car" even though it is great in the snow lol.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Wiretap_MD, please could you share more information on the solution from Philippines community,
Highly appreciate!
My FXT is having this problem (metal clicking sound at left hand siderear column when driving on waving road),
@Wiretap_MD: please could you help to post some photos of this area for easy imaging.

Many thanks and appreciated your information :woohoo:

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
93 Posts
Locate driver's side rear door striker catcher:

Pry off plastic cover to expose sheet metal:

Wedge a flat screw driver between the sheet metal to increase the gap to prevent rubbing:

Hope this helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
99 Posts
Many thanks Wiretap_MD for the post & picts,
sorry for my silly question but is there any technique to remove the door striker catcher plastic cover? move it upward, backward or forward?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I still not have time to fix the problem by solution posted by Wiretap_MD, but I have noticed the metal clicking sounds disappear in when in hot weather and come back in cold weather, my car war parking under sunlight (hot about 40 C degree) when I drove the metal clicking sound disappeared, but when car was parking in cold weather (in the morning, temperature about 28 C degree), the metal clicking sound come again.
Maybe at this weekend when I have free time, I will try the solution from Philippines friends, will keep you updated.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Instead of increase the gap of 2 metal sheets, I am thinking we can put a foam or rubbers tape between 02 metal sheet to reduce the noise/clicking sounds.
How do you think Wiretap_MD and others?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advise so far.. I'm sure it will help some readers. For me however, I really think the source of the sound is from the far rear.
For the past week, there were some warm days, followed by a drop into the teens. Every time I drive after this and its very cold, the sound was just horribly loud and annoying, more so then ever. Even heard it on parts of the highway where i normally don't hear it at all. It always has a chirping sound like a metal small metal rub, and then for the rougher parts of road, the banging. Usually some loose plastic rattle around the same area too.
I know it's probably just something unimportant that is loose, but sometimes it really does sound like something is just broken and ready to fall off lol.
It is quite frustrating though, i wish i had a diagram of the whats behind the plastic interior so i could maybe pinpoint the noise better. Like i have no clue where all the seat belt crap is stored.

I also know people say all Subarus rattle, but i say its untrue. My wifes 2010 outback with 90k miles on it still has no rattles or odd sounds. It is very quiet and nice indeed. However, the 2012 forester xt i traded in to get the 2014 version also had rattle in the headliner and moon roof, where i was hoping to leave that all behind. Well, it's definitely 'behind' me now hah.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Limited CVT
7 Posts
Rear rattle

I also have a bad rattle in the rear (sounds like a door not properly closed) and was wondering if anyone else had and suggestions or updates. I have not tried any myself but have a appointment with the dealer. May try the rear door suggestion listed in previous post if someone had some positive results.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I also have a bad rattle in the rear (sounds like a door not properly closed) and was wondering if anyone else had and suggestions or updates. I have not tried any myself but have a appointment with the dealer. May try the rear door suggestion listed in previous post if someone had some positive results.
I fixed the one noise i had, the chirping. That was the rear middle passenger seatbelt rubbing against the plastic when not in use. For now i keep it buckled up. But yea, u may have something loose in your tailgate like i think i have. Your discription kind of matches what the hatch sounds like when going over any inperctions on the road. I'm leaning that the metal clanking and what sometimes sounds like a bag of coins could be the arm that holds up the tailgate, and all the plastic rattles something in the tailgate or even the black inside cover itself. Someday i or someone will find out im sure.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT Auto
105 Posts
Are you sure it's not just your license plate rattling? If you don't have the bottom 2 screws in, it causes some rattling similar to what you are describing.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Are you sure it's not just your license plate rattling? If you don't have the bottom 2 screws in, it causes some rattling similar to what you are describing.
Especially if you have a license plate frame only attached at the top, as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a frame for the license plate, but use all 4 screws.

·
Registered
99 Posts
@RH-NE PA: Please keep us updated of your result after dealer checking, mine FXT is still having metal clicking sound, tried all solutions above but still not fixing.

·
Registered
2013 Forester CVT
3 Posts
I too had a metallic ‘click’ or ‘crik’ sound from the rear which fits some of the descriptions in this thread. It would happen when my car met an incline or a decline or when travelling on wavy, bumpy rounds that would throw one rear wheel higher than the other. Sometimes the ‘crik’ sound would be double as in ‘crik-crik’.

I took some rides in the trunk with its fittings in varying degrees of disassembly, and was fortunate to find that the sound came from 2 metal plates that anchor the rear seats to the floor of the chassis. The bolts and nuts locking these 2 plates to the chassis were not adequately tightened -- when I tightened all of them securely with a size 12 socket wrench, the noise went away.

These 2 plates are located just behind the rear seats -- 1 on the left and 1 on the right. For those interested in locating them, this procedure may be followed:--

1. Fold forward the backs of the rear seats so that they are horizontal.

2. Remove the central piece of the deck of the trunk and the underlying central piece of foam so that the spare tyre is exposed. You will now see, just behind the rear seats a plastic casing which extends all the way from the left to the right.

3. The fabric attached to the back of the rear seats is attached to the top of the plastic casing by several press clips (maybe, 6 clips). Gently release that fabric from its attachment to the plastic casing by pulling up the clips. (Stabilise the plastic casing with one hand on top when detaching the fabric -- otherwise the casing might shift upwards dislodging the clips which hold the casing to the floor of the car. 2 of these clips are easily lost.)

4. Fold the detached fabric onto the back of the rear seats to expose the corridor between the rear seats and the plastic casing. If you look inside this corridor, you will see 2 plates (1 on the left and 1 on the right) which are the same colour as your car; they are anchored to the floor of the chassis with several bolts and nuts. (At the extreme sides, these plates attach to small black metal pieces which seem to be part of the frame of the rear seats.) Securely tighten all the nuts and bolts connected with these 2 plates.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts