Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We bought a 2014 Forester Limited 2.5 n/a a couple of months ago. Since purchasing, there's been a noise coming from the front-right area of the chassis but it only persists when we're accelerating from a stop AND turning right. If we're going straight, turning left, or turning right but already up to speed, there's no noise. I can't feel anything in the steering column, it seems to be all sound. We have an extended warranty but I'm not sure if it's worth taking to a mechanic and paying the deductible if it ends up not being covered.

Feel free to ask any questions to help troubleshoot, I'll do my best to check this often!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,153 Posts
Yes, it's worth getting it looked at ... It could be something simple or it could be something much more problematic - like a suspension component (a control arm or a bushing) or a driveline component (like a CV Joint). You might not feel any shake or vibration through the steering.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's worth getting it looked at ... It could be something simple or it could be something much more problematic - like a suspension component (a control arm or a bushing) or a driveline component (like a CV Joint). You might not feel any shake or vibration through the steering.
My plan was to get it looked at unless someone on here happened to know the exact solution with my vague details haha. My mechanic buddy has been MIA lately, hoping he'll look at it, otherwise plan to take it in sometime in the next couple of weeks

·
Registered
2014 2.5i CVT
148 Posts
Hi @PDXSlowBoi - how did you go with the finding the source of the noise? Was it covered under warranty if you had a repair? Cheers, EVC

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi @PDXSlowBoi - how did you go with the finding the source of the noise? Was it covered under warranty if you had a repair? Cheers, EVC
Nope, haven't addressed this yet. My wife and I have been working from home so we rarely drive it, plus we noticed it has a water leak somewhere so we're having that looked into first. My goal is to have the above issue looked into sometime in late Feb and I plan on following up in this thread to maybe help others in the future. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2014 2.0 XT Touring
143 Posts
99% chance it is your front lower control arm... the bushings on the LCAs are notoriously bad for drying out and failing. recommend getting it fixed ASAP. inspect your tie rod ends, sway bar bushings, axle boots, etc. when you do that - no sense putting on new LCAs to bolt the crusty tie rod ends back up...

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
509 Posts
Take a look at your front Drive shafts. Inspect the boots of both inner and outer joints, for cracks/splits, or any leakage of grease. Look at the surrounding area of the boot, as it may have flicked the contents everywhere, leaving less obvious signs on the boot itself.

Take note if the exhaust pipe(s), run underneath any (or close proximity), of the driveshaft joints. Radiant heat from the exhaust, could make the grease break down quicker.

A grinding, gurgling, tapping sound (from the wheel area), emanating whilst turning under acceleration, can be the inner tripod joint (or inner CV joint). Can sometimes be heard if reversing with steering on full lock.

If the sound occurs when driving forward in a tight circle (steering full lock), or turning without acceleration, then it maybe the Outer CV joint. And if mixed, maybe both are making sounds.

If the sound is occasional, or not too bad; it maybe that the CV joint grease has deteriorated (turned to liquid), and just needs to be replaced with new grease.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts