Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Premium 2.5i CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 Forester has been an oil burner since I got it. Long road trips it would burn more enough to fail a consumption test, around town not too bad. I had pretty much decided to not worry about every getting it tested, until my father-in-law's 2011 Forester went from not burn much at all, to burning a quart every 500 miles at 115,000 mi.

So this summer I take it in for the test at 92,000. Failed the test by a little. Get the new short block. As far as I can tell it looked like the dealer did a good jump. I followed all the proper break procedure, etc. At 1500 miles it starts making a metal to metal sound on cold starts. I hate dealing with the dealer, so I ignored it for a while. Got worse, to the point it was happening on all starts and I started getting rod end knocking. Took it back in after 3,000 miles, rod end bearing failure. They told me that is was a common problem on the short blocks, and they've redone some cars five times!

They ordered a new short block, replaced the oil pump, timing chain/hardware, and cam shafts. Refused to change rockers or variable valve timing solenoids. Get it back three weeks later. Again everything looks and sounds good, but again after 700 miles I get the metal to metal on engine start again. Am at about 1300 miles on it, and the sound is starting to happen on every start and I think I'm hearing a little rod knocking when cold. I am going to pull the filter tomorrow to see if there is any metal in it.

I've started looking at new cars, but I'd really just like to get this one fixed and I feel morally wrong selling a car to someone when I know the engine is going to die in 3,000 miles.

Anyone have any experience with multiple short block failures? Anyone have any luck getting Subaru to provide a full engine replacement, preferably new, instead of obviously low quality rebuilds they do on the SBs? Who/how should I contact at SOA?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just went through the same issue, Subaru FB25 engines had a recall for excess oil consumption. Mine did the same thing, having my extended warranty cover for the short block replacement and you might need to pay extra fees to get some parts replaced before putting engine back together like water pump, hoses, thermostat, tensioners, etc etc.
Now I’m dealing with the dealer because they told me to refurbish my cylinder heads and just found out that my cylinder #4 is misfiring because of a leak on the exhaust valves on the heads done by them. Headache!!
Good luck bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 XT 5 MT
1,113 Posts
Sounds like they didn’t replace all the stuff that needs to be replaced when metal goes through engine. It’s a tough thing to do and is expensive. Not sure about 2014 but 2004 I’d replace a lot more then you mentioned.

·
Registered
2015 forester, 6 speeds and a quart of oil
167 Posts
My car has been a burner from day one, too. The dealer was not responsive to my concerns and kept overfilling the oil at oil changes. They lied and said they couldn't fill to 5 its and they lied about the oil consumption.
When the Class Action settlement was announced they changed their tune, but again claimed I did not meet the criteria (It consumes 1 qt/2500 to 3000 miles). It's actually probably a good thing they didn't touch my engine.
I hope you get this resolved; good luck.

·
Registered
2014 Premium 2.5i CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car has been a burner from day one, too. The dealer was not responsive to my concerns and kept overfilling the oil at oil changes. They lied and said they couldn't fill to 5 its and they lied about the oil consumption.
When the Class Action settlement was announced they changed their tune, but again claimed I did not meet the criteria (It consumes 1 qt/2500 to 3000 miles). It's actually probably a good thing they didn't touch my engine.
Yeah, I really wish I had left well enough alone at this point.

Obviously neither block has lasted long enough to know for sure, but they both appeared to still be oil burners too.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium and 2021 Impreza
434 Posts
These dealers are something else, Not just Subaru but most of them. My parents had a 2015 that burned oil from day one, but they never got it fixed just filled more often. They just traded it in on a 2021 Forester touring...Car made 115,00 miles with no engine issues (less that)

·
Registered
2014 Premium 2.5i CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As an update, I scheduled to take the car back on Monday. I called Subaru of America and their resolutions team is going to be involved in this repair. I have asked for a long block replacement, but they said they will wait until the tear down to decide the path forward.

They did inform me the short block has a 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty on it, not just the 12 mo warranty they dealer told me about. At a minimum I am going to push to have that extended to the whole engine since it's now had metal shavings in it twice and will have had the heads removed 3 times.

The CSR also mentioned the possibility of giving me trade in assistance, but at this point it'd have to be a pretty good offer. If it had a working engine I could likely get 11.5-12K for it private party, Carvana quoted me 10.2K. That's money I could take anywhere, as opposed to "store credit" with Subaru and complete loss of negotiating power. Never mind, I was planning on keeping it for quite awhile longer.

CSR did state they obviously have a vested interested in getting a resolution for me since this is a very expensive repair for them as well, and they don't want to have to keep doing it any more than I want to keep having it done. So at least it seems like SOA's interests and mine somewhat align. The good thing about having the longer warranty is I feel less pressure to get it fixed and dumping it. If nothing else, I'll just let them keep putting short blocks in it while I put miles on their loaners until they decide to give me a new car to go away ;).

·
Registered
2014 Premium 2.5i CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, car is in the shop, they "troubleshot" it for 3 days before finally checking the oil and saw it was packed full of metal. So another short block replacement. The dealer is trying to get a brand new short block from Subaru as opposed to the overhauled short blocks, that obviously have terrible quality. Been trying to get that approved for a week now.

The resolutions team at Subaru at America has been worthless. I got them involved because I wanted a new long block or at least a brand new short block, new valve train, and professionally cleaned heads that were properly checked at a machine shop. But they decided to make me a "trade in assistance" offer.

I was expecting the offer to be low, but figured they'd at least offer near what the car was worth. Nope. No, they offered me $2500 the cost of a new car, and whatever the dealer wanted to give me my car without the repair done (so maybe 2K?). So they want me to basically sell them my car, that is in excellent condition, except for their shoddy repair, for $2500 when the bluebook value is $12,000. Yeah, no.

We've decided, after 2 decades of being a Subaru exclusive family, once we get the Forester back we are going to sell it and will not be buying another Subaru.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.