Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0XT Limited CVT
416 Posts
Gives me a lot more confidence in the Forester. I'm not sure I'd have tried that with mine but its nice to see that it can handle it without problems.

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
When I saw the water and mud I was like I would never do that. I guess it is a good case for not lowering your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Already been posted... will merge the threads.

I would not want to go though water that deep. I would hate to have it come into the cabin at the doors.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
The turbo is something else I would worry about. If the temperature difference is too great, it could be catastrophic I would imagine.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
You can see in this video where I hit a large water puddle in my XT while offroading. I have noticed no ill-effects.

The water was not as deep and the turbo likely only got splashed.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R 5 EAT
474 Posts
The one interesting thing about the op video, in my view, is the hill descent. That situation--longish muddy descends--is probably the only situation in which I can see the X-mode as capability-enhancing rather than a convenience feature as there is no way my fairly expert right foot can even hope to control the brakes on millisecond basis:). But it is just brakes-based right? If it does simulate a low gear (doubt that very much), I would like it a lot better.

·
Registered
2014 Forester cvt
19 Posts
would not driving in the ruts thru the mud rip my plastic under tray off ?
I am also thinking that being an ice breaker would tear up the front valence.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
The one interesting thing about the op video, in my view, is the hill descent. That situation--longish muddy descends--is probably the only situation in which I can see the X-mode as capability-enhancing...
You can see in this video from a camera mounted on top of my XT at a recent offroading meet, X-mode does a great job controlling the braking downhill. This is what is going on at the very beginning of this video... my feet are not touching the gas or brake pedal at all.

X-mode also brakes individual wheels which do not have traction. So, if a wheel is up in the air, as they were on my trip, the wheel in the air is stopped but the wheel with traction is transferred more power. Useful in those types of situations as well.

The most useful feature of x-mode for non-extreme circumstances, is that the throttle response is de-sensitized, so you have much more control of the throttle and can finesse your way through snow and ice without spinning the wheels.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R 5 EAT
474 Posts
Yes, I do follow your adventures! However, wheel braking is a function of VDC, not x-mode and is available on all current utility Subarus. The time when Subarus were plagued by diagonal spin ended in 2009-10 when VDC became standard across the board. The same type of system is now also on the Rubicon and the XTerra Pro as their standard traction helper with real locker coming into play only when it is absolutely needed, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Yes, I do follow your adventures! However, wheel braking is a function of VDC, not x-mode...
No, individual wheel braking is a function of X-mode. It uses VDC to do it, but X-mode has to be activated for this to work. It might happen eventually with just VDC, but X-mode does it quickly.

Watch this video starting at 1:55 to 3:00. Subaru Lab (Episode 5) - X-Mode - YouTube

Good to read this as well: http://thechronicleherald.ca/wheelsnews/1120085-subarus-2014-forester-drives-into-x-mode

The throttle opens more slowly for more control. The AWD clutch pressure can increase up to 25 per cent to control differential rotation between the front and rear wheels.

A lower gear ratio can be maintained, while elements of the VDC can apply brake control to reduce the difference in rotation speed between left and right wheels.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R 5 EAT
474 Posts
Interesting, thanks. My point was that all current Subarus have wheel braking anyway and so this is not an xmode exclusive feature.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts