Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i P
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey There,

Lived in the south all my life but now it seems I'm getting hitched and taken to New Jersey or Pennsylvania!

I've done some research on basic preventative maintenance such as keeping your vehicle washed and washing regularly to get salt off, but I'm wondering what others do to go the extra mile to prevent their Fozzies from premature disintegration. I'm thinking anything like replacing certain hardware with something that doesn't corrode or spraying certain key areas.

I guess what also would be nice to know is what I or others should NOT do to try and protect.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
957 Posts
I'd find a car wash place that is open all year (days when above freezing) and buy a monthly plan that allows unlimited washes with undercarriage spray - wash frequently after the snow or salt comes down. I don't know of anything else to do.

But Pilot above is probably right, just live with it. In Connecticut they seem to get a fresh car every 7+/- years!

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Manual
321 Posts
Depends if in those states they use just salt/sand or they pretreat the roads before a snowstorm with that blue stuff. That blue stuff is HIGHLY corrosive. My work truck I’ve had to repair the frame and I applied an undercoat to prevent rust.

the blue stuff is the worst. It is activated by water, so running the car or truck thru a car wash is a bad idea because you activate the agent again. Only really safe way to remove it is to wait until the car underneath is dry and brush it off and use compressed air or a leaf blower.

good luck with the move and congrats on the engagement. I wish you all the happiness brother!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i P
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Easy. Go to Fla. like I do for the winter.
Lol
But seriously its not that bad. Im from NJ. You dont have to do a thing in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hah! We're trying to get as far away from there as possible.

And my in-laws gifted their 2013 Lexus RX350 to us about 2 years ago with 50k miles on it. They live in Indiana, and it came with plenty of rust/corrosion under the vehicle. They are really good about taking care of their things, and it's made me concerned.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i P
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depends if in those states they use just salt/sand or they pretreat the roads before a snowstorm with that blue stuff. That blue stuff is HIGHLY corrosive. My work truck I’ve had to repair the frame and I applied an undercoat to prevent rust.

the blue stuff is the worst. It is activated by water, so running the car or truck thru a car wash is a bad idea because you activate the agent again. Only really safe way to remove it is to wait until the car underneath is dry and brush it off and use compressed air.

good luck with the move and congrats on the engagement. I wish you all the happiness brother!
Good info! Didn't know about the blue stuff.

And thank you, friend!

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Manual
321 Posts
did some searching just now and the blue/green stuff is called brine or liquid magnesium chloride and it’s used to lower the melting temp of water so the salt/sand can do its thing better.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
459 Posts
NYer here, close to NYC. If your car has little to no rust, I say undercoat it, not rubberized coatings but stuff life Fluid-film or similar. I have 2015 and there is not much rust yet but I am worried. It has started though. Looking at my other car where the rust is popping up almost everywhere, I don't want my Forester to end up like that.

I am yet to come across any automatic car washes that really do undercarriage wash in the tristate area. All do advertise it but after the best wash they can offer, the undercarriage is bone dry. Finally, I just got a gallon garden sprayer and spray it occasionally and once a month (or often, depending on the need), I use a coin-operated carwash just to spray the undercarriage. This year, I am planning to use Salt-Away or similar to see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i P
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NYer here, close to NYC. If your car has little to no rust, I say undercoat it, not rubberized coatings but stuff life Fluid-film or similar. I have 2015 and there is not much rust yet but I am worried. It has started though. Looking at my other car where the rust is popping up almost everywhere, I don't want my Forester to end up like that.

I am yet to come across any automatic car washes that really do undercarriage wash in the tristate area. All do advertise it but after the best wash they can offer, the undercarriage is bone dry. Finally, I just got a gallon garden sprayer and spray it occasionally and once a month (or often, depending on the need), I use a coin-operated carwash just to spray the undercarriage. This year, I am planning to use Salt-Away or similar to see if it makes any difference.
While my Foz has been are far north as Quebec city in December and as far south as the Mexican border in July, it thankfully has no rust damage at all from any adventure (though I may need to pull off more panels after I misjudged a puddle earlier in the summer this year).

I'm planning on buying an undercarriage washing 'wand' to rinse the vehicle, assuming any undercoating or other protective film doesn't get blown off by it. I've been thinking that caulking certain areas too might not be a terrible idea.

Might be overkill but I love my Forester want to have it for years to come (though it may not be my primary vehicle). I'm not sure now common it is for people to do the 'minimum' and let their vehicles gradually rust out. I was surprised to see our Rx350 with its level of deterioration.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,802 Posts
All you can do really is just rinse the car and get underneath once in while and inspect. Replace any corroding fasteners early. Keep the car off any heaving snow banks or piles. Not much that can prevent road salt corrosion.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
459 Posts
I'm planning on buying an undercarriage washing 'wand' to rinse the vehicle, assuming any undercoating or other protective film doesn't get blown off by it. I've been thinking that caulking certain areas too might not be a terrible idea.
That's an excellent idea but do note that most of the outdoor taps are shut off in winter so unless you have access to the hose, that will not be possible. I live in an apt complex and do not have access to running water. That is the only reason, I bought the garden sprayer. I regret not getting a 4-5 gallon sprayer.
You can also invest in Hydrshot or similar.

Take some extra precautions for the lower 3rd of the vehicle on the sides. I have noticed that area gets most affected due to the salt. Coat it with durable sealant, work on the trims (inside and outside). If you already don't have WeatherTech or similar mats, pls get them. It's the easiest method to remove salt from the inside.

I am curious about which area you are interested in caulking. I have also been deliberating on that because just noticed surface rust under the door sill covers. That area is actually the least used. So I wonder where the rust is hiding for me to find out.

Re: puddle, could it be that some of your sunroof drains are clogged? I imagine you use sunroof lot more than we northerners.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,191 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester Limited
58 Posts
I would seriously consider buying another set of wheels and a set of Blizzaks for winter and alternate in the spring.
Living here in South Dakota is what I have done w/all of my vehicles.
2 sets of tires and wheels

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,684 Posts
As stated above regular power washes of the undercarriage and wheel wells, especially during any thaws is huge in preventing active rust. Extra protection can be had with an annual oil spray, or by having the car professionally rust proofed and then annual inspections and touch-ups.

Another thing is to minimize the amount of standing water and slush in the car. Empty foot trays regularly. Good floor liners and rubber mats are important. Many a car floor disintegrates in time because it has been left with soaked salty carpets with briny water trapped underneath. An occasional wet vac helps. Otherwise, I always collect some newspapers and place them over the carpet and under my floor liners to absorb as much moisture as possible and replace them once a month during the winter season.

Also, remember to touch up paint, and treat any spots of rust asap. A regular protective coat of wax helps as well.
Lastly, indoor heated parking can be a real problem. If it's freezing out and your car is covered in salt, it's better off left outside where the temperature will limit the chemical activity. The corrosion can really only occur above freezing temps.

And for fun here is Mr Subaru going crazy with spray paint and a clay bar

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i P
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am curious about which area you are interested in caulking. I have also been deliberating on that because just noticed surface rust under the door sill covers. That area is actually the least used. So I wonder where the rust is hiding for me to find out.
I will try to get some pictures posted later. There are areas of plastic trim on the lower areas of the vehicle that can trap and hold solid material against the body. I'm still cleaning out dried mud from those places months after my idiocy earlier this year.

You may want to get acquainted with these 2 companies.
POR-15 Stop Rust Permanently (Better protection but requires a much higher level of stringent prep
Rust Prevention, Treatments, Removers - Eastwood (Appears to give a good result and much more DIY friendly with less prep required. But may require a top coat of paint etc over the top?)
Wow, I definitely will! If I'm reading that correctly, the platinum only comes in silver color!? lol

I would seriously consider buying another set of wheels and a set of Blizzaks for winter and alternate in the spring.
Living here in South Dakota is what I have done w/all of my vehicles.
2 sets of tires and wheels
Already ahead of you, actually. I bought a spare set of rims for winter road trip years ago that never took place. I just bought my second set of Yokohama G015s after wearing the first. They may not fully compete with Blizzaks, but I've done enough winter/ice driving with them to feel really comfortable with them as my winter tire. Then again, they are also a great all-season so I could grab a set of Blizzaks for the other wheels.

·
Registered
2016 Forester Limited
58 Posts
I will try to get some pictures posted later. There are areas of plastic trim on the lower areas of the vehicle that can trap and hold solid material against the body. I'm still cleaning out dried mud from those places months after my idiocy earlier this year.

Wow, I definitely will! If I'm reading that correctly, the platinum only comes in silver color!? lol

Already ahead of you, actually. I bought a spare set of rims for winter road trip years ago that never took place. I just bought my second set of Yokohama G015s after wearing the first. They may not fully compete with Blizzaks, but I've done enough winter/ice driving with them to feel really comfortable with them as my winter tire. Then again, they are also a great all-season so I could grab a set of Blizzaks for the other wheels.
Oh you're not ahead of me. lololol
Oh and BTW you were asking for suggestions as I recall as you were moving up north?

However the very best suggestion for "moving up north" and contending with the salted roads would be to buy a cheap vehicle and run it in the winter time and save the subie from rusting out.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i P
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh you're not ahead of me. lololol
Oh and BTW you were asking for suggestions as I recall as you were moving up north?

However the very best suggestion for "moving up north" and contending with the salted roads would be to buy a cheap vehicle and run it in the winter time and save the subie from rusting out.
Haha, I meant already ahead of your suggestion by incidentally having a spare set of wheels already.

And yeah, that's a good idea! I wouldn't mind an old light truck for various things.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts