Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine was running poorly, on cold starts it would "thud" at idle. During acceleration (30-40%throttle) it would sort of stutter, losing power for a split second 2 or 3 times and then going back to normal. And just a few days ago i noticed that at low speeds or in neutral at about 2000-2500 rpm it would make a knocking noise. Then, just now it of curiosity I pulled the maf and the map to see if any of them were problematic and I found the map to be coated in what appears to be oil. In addition, looking back at the dealer services, on 2 occasions they put in non synthetic 0W-20 instead of 5W-30 (I know I should've checked but too late now) is it possible the 0W-20 and/or the map are causing these issues, and how do I fix them. Thanks in advance. I can post a video of the thudding and or knocking. Picture of MAP attached.
Edit: I stuck a paper towel in the hole where the sensor came out and I think there's oil inside of my intake manifold.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT premium Auto
87 Posts
Even with 5w-30, the MAP still gets covered in oil. It needs constant cleaning. If it gets clogged, u will get a lot of hesitation during acceleration, itll feel like its misfiring / loss of power. Just use CRC MAF cleaner, make sure u clean inside the hole of the MAP sensor. Mine was seriously clogged after 32k miles, after cleaning, it felt like i gained an extra 20hp, and the car was back to being buttery smooth.

·
Registered
2016 XT Touring
3 Posts
Hello,
i have been having this issue with my 2016 forester and I have to think its the PCV valve not doing its job. I have to clean mine monthly to keep it from having this issue. Also now that the cold is herre it seames to have trouble cold starting and it will throw codes saying it is running rich and then i clean the MAP sensor and its fine again. this morning though it felt very under powered as I had just cleaned it last night I shouldn't have any issues, but here I am trying to see if someone can help Lol. I have already talked to subaru many of times about the problem and they don't seem to care.

·
Super Moderator
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,550 Posts
Map will get oily. In the ej25 at least the map has virtually no impact on the tune. When I've removed it on the fa20 to use that hole to clean the intake valves, there seems to be no impact to the ability to idle or rev. I would suggest this has no impact on what you're experiencing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts