Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 F-XT CVT
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any experience with these springs? i know they're quality units because i previously had their Lowering Springs, but, i'm going the other direction and want to make my FXT more offroad worthy now. just want to hear some input on the handling aspects.

thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to know the same, could the lifting with this or any other recomended springs give more softness in driving any sportly FXT?

Big thanks in advance

·
Registered
2018 XT
6 Posts
Nice find. Probably buying this for later.

Any supplemental upgrades required to run these? I mean I would upgrade struts/shocks while at it, but I'm interested if there's anything mandatory for installation..

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT CVT (High Torque)
227 Posts
I had Mann install the 1” lift springs on my 2017 FXT along with a bunch of their changes (STI flexible support braces from Japan, SuperPro upgraded bushings and rear sway bar supports). I’m very happy with the springs, they feel great and are a bit stiffer, but still plenty compliant over bumps.

When I had them do the install, I asked about upgrading to Bilstein B6 struts, but Mann talked me out of it. They Felt that the combination of stiffer springs and stiffer struts would sacrifice off-road performance and make things too rough, so I stayed with stock struts. They also talked me out of shock extenders saying they weren’t necessary, and assured me that with only the modest lift these springs provide I wouldn’t need subframe spacers to compensate for the shift in geometry.

No complaints about the final configuration, I’m very happy with the springs and with the work that Mann Engineering did. I would highly recommend this upgrade to anyone looking for a bit of extra clearance and better handling overall.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
25 Posts
I just ordered these and will be installing them in about 2 weeks. After some extensive conversation with Mann and @Banjor, I was convinced that these springs would achieve what I wanted in a lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I would like to know the same, could the lifting with this or any other recomended springs give more softness in driving any sportly FXT?
Hey Dude, I just realized that I have a positive review of these springs, but didn’t answer your question about whether these provide more softness.

Spring stiffness is a difficult topic, since material and configuration like number and thickness of coil all have an effect on the overall stiffness curve that the NM or pounds per inch rating doesn’t reveal.

These are cold-wound steel, so unlike the heat-wound stock springs have better resistance to sag and deformation under load and over time.

The end result is a little more stiffness overall, but the increased length results in better ability to soak up large bumps.

On the road this means that these springs are less soft when cornering or carrying heavy loads, and they are less soft at low speeds. However at speed they provide more ability to soak up bumps, especially big bumps. I found that after installing these I’ve been taking speed bumps and potholes at faster speeds on purpose, because they feel smoother/softer that way.

If you have a sporty driving style they may feel softer than stock, if you are a conservative driver they will feel more stiff. I hope that answers your question.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Anybody used these to compensate for larger tires? If so, how large can you go?
Lift springs don’t compensate for larger tires. The reason for this is that the suspension geometry is the same, only the shocks are more extended most of the time. They can still be compressed just as much as before.

For larger tires you’ll want strut spacers to add distance between the body and the tire at all extension of the strut/shock. Strut spacers help with wider or taller tires in the front, but for much taller tires you also want a subframe spacer so the rear wheel is centered instead of being pushed toward the front of the wheel well.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,967 Posts
@Banjor - I noticed on the pic that Mann Engineering has on their site for the lift springs on the 2014-2018 (SJ) forester, that the rear tires seem to be moved forward (in their before/after pic) - just like when doing a spacer type lift...

Do you notice your rear tires being more "forward" in the wheel arch/opening?

From their site -

Do you notice this on your 2017 XT after you had the springs installed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So with the springs what’s the largest tire anyone has fit comfortably? I’m considering strut spacer too but just weighing options.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Yes, the wheel did move forward in the wheel well when I installed the lift springs. I have the optional well arch moldings and aftermarket mud/splash flaps, which helps to hide the effect somewhat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts