Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,291 Posts
It's not a pillow but a cable running across the seat behind a nylon pad. I lengthened the cable on my '17 to reduce the lumbar support. You can unzip the back of the seat cover, undo the ziploc connection across the bottom, and see what you have. Search this forum or the internet in general and there will be photos and how-to's.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,291 Posts
@Kevin, I don't think the problem of a broken lumbar cable is the same as a broken seat frame. I was looking for the thread where there were photos inside the back of the driver's seat where the guy extended his lumbar cable. (I extended mine also with a chain link.) I'm guessing the OP here just broke the cable or one of the cable ends. No time to look right now.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,291 Posts
@Kevin yes I saw that post and there is nothing helpful there for the OP.

What I was looking for and just found is a long-running thread on the whole cable lumbar support system including photos with the seat back fabric off. This thread will actually show what the lumbar support mechanism is, and the OP can probably fix or replace the cable using the photos in this thread.

I used this thread to extend the cable in my own lumbar support in my '17 Foz Premium. It's quite a simple system.

Have a great holiday season!
George

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,684 Posts
It may also be that the hog-rings that attach the lumber support to the seat frame may have come undone. I had a similar issue on my 2014. But it was fixed under warranty.

Know that there are many ways that companies provide lumbar support (even across different models) and so while the SJ Forester may use one type, the SK could possibly use a different style.

Some companies have inflatable "bags" and an electric pump, others use a mechanical "tube" (like a rolling pin) that pivots to provide the support or there may be a panel that is pressed forward by a motor or .....

Best idea would be to check with a local auto upholstery shop - some of them may have fixed them... Or you can check with your local Subaru dealership.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Kevin, I don't think the problem of a broken lumbar cable is the same as a broken seat frame. I was looking for the thread where there were photos inside the back of the driver's seat where the guy extended his lumbar cable. (I extended mine also with a chain link.) I'm guessing the OP here just broke the cable or one of the cable ends. No time to look right now.
thank you Dave

·
Registered
2014 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not a pillow but a cable running across the seat behind a nylon pad. I lengthened the cable on my '17 to reduce the lumbar support. You can unzip the back of the seat cover, undo the ziploc connection across the bottom, and see what you have. Search this forum or the internet in general and there will be photos and how-to's.
thanks kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts