Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a '14 Forester XT Touring that produces a loud "whine" on cold, first-thing-in-the-morning start (not that cold, 30-45º) which slowly dissipates as it warms up. I've researched this issue here and elsewhere with little satisfaction. I have checked the serpentine and ALL the pulleys - I've sprayed the serpentine with water... everything is SOLID and the water doesn't affect the sound. The serpentine tracks PERFECTLY with no wobble and ALL the bearings are perfect. In addition, it seems the sound comes from further back in the engine compartment - I can't determine if it could be the turbo or the CVT. There are ZERO issues with performance as far as I can tell. The sound could be described as an exaggerated "turbo-spooling" whine.

75K miles, btw.

From my research, I'm not alone... what the hell is this??

Thanks for considering!

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
616 Posts
Suggestion: get yourself a mechanics stethescope (H Freight Tools < $10, or someplace) as it lets you pinpoint mechanical noise source amongst crowded engine compartments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could be the power steering pump there is an o ring that drys out on the top and lets air in causing it to cavitate and whine. try replacing the o ring

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
5 Posts
Description sounds like when my power steering fluid got low in my 2010 XT. I was really worried it was the turbo or something (I had a turbo blow on me once already) but putting a little more fluid in caused the sound to go away almost immediately.

long term I had to put in a lot of work to find the source of the leak but at first it wasn’t losing very much power steering fluid and made me feel better knowing my turbo or engine weren’t shot once the sound went away.

I replaced the o ring on top of the pump, then the actual pump, then finally found pinhole leaks on the metal high pressure lines right above the center support under the car. Had to remove the big plastic cover under the front end before I saw that though...

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
1 Posts
We have a ‘17fxt. Also makes a high pitched turbo whine on colder starts. I think it’s been like that since it was new. Never thought much about it. Maybe it’s normal? Maybe other xt owners will chime in.

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
24 Posts
I've got a '14 Forester XT Touring that produces a loud "whine" on cold, first-thing-in-the-morning start (not that cold, 30-45º) which slowly dissipates as it warms up. I've researched this issue here and elsewhere with little satisfaction. I have checked the serpentine and ALL the pulleys - I've sprayed the serpentine with water... everything is SOLID and the water doesn't affect the sound. The serpentine tracks PERFECTLY with no wobble and ALL the bearings are perfect. In addition, it seems the sound comes from further back in the engine compartment - I can't determine if it could be the turbo or the CVT. There are ZERO issues with performance as far as I can tell. The sound could be described as an exaggerated "turbo-spooling" whine.

From my research, I'm not alone... what the hell is this??

Thanks for considering!
Sounds like my wife first thing in the morning😊

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The day before last, the car began shuddering and jerking with the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. The car currently sits at the local Subaru Dealership after an appointment was made for it when I called the SOA CVT Warranty Extension Hotline at 844-373-6622. Disconcerting, to say the least...

Summary

CVT Warranty Extension

Solution

Inspections or repairs under this coverage period must be completed prior to the expiration of that ten (10) years or one hundred thousand (100,000) miles coverage period.

All Vehicles:

• A one year coverage period regardless of mileage and warranty start date is effective now until September 30, 2019
Vehicles more than ten (10) years old OR have more than one hundred thousand miles (100,000)

• A one year coverage period regardless of mileage and warranty start date is effective now until September 30, 2019. Inspections or repair under this one year converge period must be completed on or before September 30, 2019.
Vehicles less than 10 years old with 100,000 miles or less after September 20,2019

• The coverage period extends the vehicle's New Car Limited Powertrain Warranty as it applies to the CVT to ten (10) years or one hundred thousand (100,000) miles (whichever comes first).

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
UPDATE:

After my call to SOA and the subsequent appointment at the local Subaru dealership made by SOA, a new ("new" as opposed to "remanufactured" according to my service rep) CVT is being installed under the extended warranty...

Hopefully, this extends the life of this Forester to 200K+ miles like cars are supposed to live to!

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NEW CVT TEST DRIVE UPDATE:

All installed after a week (courtesy car for the entirety). The tech drove it for 20 miles and I've driven maybe 30 miles... this Suby is driving better than new - no whining, no shuddering, no jerking - running like a champ.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts