Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 crv auto
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the dealer and fell in love with the new forester. We drove both the crosstrek and forester. The crosstrek is nice but not on the same level as the forester.

I really wanted to know which model you guys/girls picked and why? Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,779 Posts
Limited: wanted xmode; the self-opening hatch and pleather were just the icing on cake. If you don't plan to go off road, and don't need pleather, go for the preminum with all weather package. My advice is to avoid the nav head unit; less distraction, just use phone for nav if you need it.

·
Registered
2014 Premuim CVT
104 Posts
I got the premium. I don't see myself ever needing X-mode. If I lived in a rural area, I might see it as important, but here in NY the 4WD without Xmode is more than adequate.

I hated the look of the bolted on Spoiler and I'm not a fan of leather in the summer with shorts on. (Ouch) The only thing I thought Id miss is the power lift gate, but after seeing how easy it is to open manually and how slow it opens mechanically, I can easily do without that one too.

I did get the navigation, not because I wanted it, but my wife insisted on it. But, a Tom Tom or smart phone is just as good. The premium with Nav is almost the same price as a Limited without, so getting the nav is not a great bang for the buck, but the premium is a good deal if you don't need X-mode or pleather.

Rob

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium CVT
105 Posts
I wanted a manual, so the Premium was academic. Otherwise I'd have chosen the Limited (w/o navigation) for its leather.

Re: oil consumption, I wasn't aware of the issue before I purchased, but it wouldn't necessarily have broken the deal. I regularly check the level anyhow, and an additional quart between changes -- not unusual for engines using 0W -- isn't an imposition.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester Cvt
195 Posts
I have 6900 miles on my 2014" I changed the oil at 3000 miles and have not use any oil at all. I check it at least once a week and it's right on the full mark every time. I got the limited for the x- mode because I live in the Midwest snow belt. I have a 2012 OB and have used it though two winters and the AWD is great, but I still wanted the X- mode. The auto hatch is slow, but you can use it manually if your in a hurry. I love the leather but seat heaters sure are a must in the winter. I didn't, get the nav because I hate it in the OB. I use a Garmin in the Forster and I love it? Good luck with making up mind. You will be happy with either way you go I would bet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Contributor
2014 Forester - Limited CVT
254 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I did tons of research and went to the dealer wanting a Crosstrek. Love the way it looks and size! Took one for a test drive (demo that was broken in so I could really test it) and thought it was nice. I then asked the dealer if I could test drive a Forester while I was there. They had a base model on the lot to test. Within a few minutes on the road in the Forester I knew it was the right vehicle for us. VERY nice to drive!

Anyhoo ... I went with the limited for the leather ... easier to remove dog hair. X-mode is a bonus with the limited that we will use but having come from nothing but 2 wheel drive vehicles I imagine AWD will be an eye opener in itself.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
222 Posts
I was like you, torn between the Limited and the Premium. After talking to SOA and the dealer about X-Mode I was told that it would be of marginal value in the flat terrain of Metro NY, they claim it's strengths are in hilly/mountainous areas. I also did not want leather (too hot in summer and cold in winter) or the power liftgate (just another thing to break). The two things I did want were the leather steering wheel and spoiler but I couldn't justify the 2K cost for those 2 items. Since I use it for the beach a lot I invested in a pair of wet okole seat covers in front. In my opinion you'll be happy with either one only you can determine if the extras are worth the cost. BTW I have a touch over 1,000 miles on it and not a drop of oil used.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,779 Posts
X-mode useless for on road situations--maybe extreme snow, but otherwise pointless; It's on rocky mountain roads where you need slower throttle response and the ability to really crawl down terrain that it comes in handy.--crawl = much slower than the engine breaking provided by L.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts