Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Premium
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! I am new here, and kind of new to the subaru life - i am not mechanically inclined so please be easy on me 😅
I bought my first Subaru, a 2014 Forester 2.5i premium three years ago with 100k miles on it. Nothing was wrong with the car and she ran and drove great. My mom ended up being diagnosed with terminal stomach cancer and I spent the better part of a year and a half driving back and forth from Minnesota to Arizona/Oklahoma/California where she was receiving treatments before she passed, and now have 207k miles.
Just recently I got in my car and turned it on and the entire dash lit up with all sorts of lights. The car didn’t drive any different, oil temp wasn’t reading high like it says it is with the “at oil temp” light flashing and also it now only has FWD 😥

Lights that are on:
Check engine
ABS
Hill start assist
Vehicle dynamics control system
At oil temp (flashing)
The screen on my dash also reads: “at oil temp: transmission system needs to be checked, abs needs to be checked, check engine: emission control system needs to be checked, vehicle dynamics control system needs to be checked, hill start assist system needs to be checked”
I had brought it to the closest Subaru dealer to me - which is two hours away (only important that I mention how far away because I can’t just pop in and ask questions or easily pick up parts etc.) and they said it would cost me 4K to fix it and that I ultimately need a new motor (edit: correction they said transmission not motor)?! 😨😱 but they also said i could keep driving it until my motor transmission* gives out and then get a new one too - I left feeling very confused, and opted for a second opinion but in my small rural town the local shop didn’t have many answers for me either - I just don’t know what to do really and I’m still so confused about what is going on…since my mothers treatment was last chance kind of thing since chemo didn’t work and insurance wouldn’t cover the new treatment we had to pay out of pocket and I just don’t have the funds for dropping 4K into my car right now unless I’m sure it’s absolutely necessary, but even then it’s going to be a kick in the gut to do so.
If anyone has any input or has had a similar problem I would love to hear from you.
Thanks in advance

edit to add: this is what dealer said
“tech scanned vehicle for codes, found code p0971 Pressure control solenoid C control Circuit high. Transmission wiring all good. Faulty transfer clutch solenoid. Recommend replace valve body and TCM with fluid change. Parts and labor estimate to replace valve body TCM with fluid exchange $3725 + tax. Alternative option is replacing with good used transmission.”

Atmosphere Rainbow Sunlight Font Sky
Rainbow Hood Sky Automotive design Font
Atmosphere Rainbow Font Rectangle Sky
Atmosphere Azure Font Rainbow World
Atmosphere Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Speedometer Odometer Vehicle Trip computer Tachometer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@whobodym Thank you for the reply! Yes I’ll have to find another mechanic - I kind of figured that it wasn’t each individual problem going on with each light and maybe one problem making all lights come on, I did just briefly scan through some forums and read about something called a TCM/TCU problem, so I will have to read more on those and see if it fits!

Reactions: whobodym

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can tell you that Subaru warning light sequence appear to be a money making scheme for them. My 2011 had three lights on for an O2 sensor fault.
ABS, Tracks and check engine light.
Once I dig into with code reader, there was a phantom transmission code as well.

I was told I had to replace ABS module, G sensor, MAF, O2 and AFR sensor and I potentially had a leak in an intake.

It turned out to be $70.00 O2 sensor.

Don’t despair, I’m sure it’s not all that bad.
As you indicated lack of mech aptitude I’d research for a good independent Subaru mechanic. Check you tube videos for similar issue and see what others have done.
I’m almost positive I’ve read similar posts here as well.

Good luck and please report back on root cause of all this.

P.S what’s your fuel consumption like?
Also, what’s the battery voltage and is you alternator running ok ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My fuel consumption went up - mileage down. My alternator is running perfectly fine too.
I just found the paperwork from the dealer too, it states: “tech scanned vehicle for codes, found code p0971 Pressure control solenoid C control Circuit high. Transmission wiring all good. Faulty transfer clutch solenoid. Recommend replace valve body and TCM with fluid change. Parts and labor estimate to replace valve body TCM with fluid exchange $3725 + tax. Alternative option is replacing with good used transmission.”

my mistake in my original post they did not say replace the motor, they said transmission. I will be updating the original post if im able to

If you are going seek help in this setting, people are going to need more specific information to give pertinent answers. You should get yourself an OBD2 scanner, take some readings, and share the information you find.
Thanks for the input, I'm not entirely sure what that is, I will look into it! I did find paperwork from dealer and they said it was code p0971, and recommended valve body + TCM replacement.

on my 14 that combo was a Transmission valve body. Was barely under 100k so got lucky with warranty replacement. What specifically did they say needed to be fixed for 4k?
THanks for replying, I actually just looked at the paperwork and they said “tech scanned vehicle for codes, found code p0971 Pressure control solenoid C control Circuit high. Transmission wiring all good. Faulty transfer clutch solenoid. Recommend replace valve body and TCM with fluid change. Parts and labor estimate to replace valve body TCM with fluid exchange $3725 + tax. Alternative option is replacing with good used transmission.”

1 - 3 of 3 Posts