Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester
11 Posts
Nope, key still in and car still running. I just don't know if i will damage anything if i turn the key to acc and the engine shuts off and then I assume the battery will drain and I can deal with it in the morning.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Nope, key still in and car still running. I just don't know if i will damage anything if i turn the key to acc and the engine shuts off and then I assume the battery will drain and I can deal with it in the morning.
Yeah.. I wouldn't just let the car idle all night. At least turn it to ACC so it shuts off. The accessories will be powered but that won't harm anything. It will be like you listening to your car's radio while it isn't running - eventually that battery will be drained. Likely in the morning you won't be able to start it.

Are you comfortable pulling a fuse? I could find a fuse that would disable your car, letting you insert it again in the morning so it powers up such that you can drive it to your mechanic..

Edit: now that you're home, you may have some tools around. Turn the car off so it doesn't run and try disconnecting the negative battery terminal.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
11 Posts
success with putting the emergency brake on, moving to gear shift to drive and then back to park and then the key turned all the way. and i could take the key out. I'm going to start it one more time and back it into the garage in case I have a problem in the morning where i will be warmer! Thanks for all your help and this forum is great. I want to buy a new Forester but am getting discouraged with some issues of late. This being one. Either way I'll be bringing it in to get checked out this week. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
success with putting the emergency brake on, moving to gear shift to drive and then back to park and then the key turned all the way. and i could take the key out. I'm going to start it one more time and back it into the garage in case I have a problem in the morning where i will be warmer! Thanks for all your help and this forum is great. I want to buy a new Forester but am getting discouraged with some issues of late. This being one. Either way I'll be bringing it in to get checked out this week. Thanks again!!
You're welcome. Glad to help. You could stop by a lock smith and see whether they could recommend a lubricant to keep it going for now.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
854 Posts
How many keys/ornaments etc. do you have attached to your car keys?

If the answer is “many”. Then need to reduce the weight. Excessive weight will cause premature wear of the ignition barrel. Also any excessive weight may stop the barrel moving to the off position, as the mechanical interlock is not being operated (i.e. pushing the key inwards, as you are turning the key anticlockwise).

Also if you are switching the car off, and you have the steering wheel turned most or all of the way in one direction, the steering wheel lock maybe engaging when in the accessories position. This usually requires the steering wheel force to be taken off the locking mechanism to allow the key to turn (e.g. turn it slightly further in the direction the wheels are turned, and hold the force, then press key inwards, and anticlockwise.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
11 Posts
Hi Dogs! Yes, I may have too many keys that could degrade the switch. I don't think that was the problem. I was vacuuming my car before this happened and put the e brake on to vaccumm around it and it may not have been fully released?? I don't know except that putting the brake back on and then of severeal hours later and moving the gear lever through park to drive and back tp park and putting the e brake back allowed me to turn the key all the way off. So that was my success story this time. Along time ago a dime fell in the shifter box. That may be the problem too. I do try and keep the wheels straight while parking as I know how not doing so can cause the steering wheel to lock up. Thanks all for the great advice.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Forester and recently the key has been getting stuck in the ignition. It is happening more often. When I called for service the gal started laughing and said she gets a lot of calls about this - it is a very common problem. If this is a known issue why not a recall? She told me to keep my receipt in case they decide to do one. Any one else having this issue and what are your tricks to get it out without starting and shutting off the car 3-5 times? When I asked why it hasn't been recalled she said "you know, Subaru" I said I don't know, this is the first one I have owned.

FYI: During the same call, I was told there is a recall on the 2017 Forester, they were just notified. Front air bags. Hasn't been announced to us yet because they don't have the parts.
I have the very same problem...repeatedly, 2017 Forester.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
1,140 Posts
I would say "YES".
But you should verify that your VIN matches the range referred to in that document. (before ending up with a surprise bill when they claim yours wasn't covered)

Forester Vin like J*441815

·
Registered
2017 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
@bleujean @503_FRSTR You guys should bring it into the dealer and get that repaired. There's a TSB out for this issue (I don't know the number though). if you don't get it fixed, it'll just get worse and worse until you can no longer remove the key.

I had this repaired on my car about 2 months ago and it cost somewhere around $400 for parts and labor. I saved my receipt just in case...

StanF
I brought it in right away. That was what the call to Subaru was for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Forester and recently the key has been getting stuck in the ignition. It is happening more often. When I called for service the gal started laughing and said she gets a lot of calls about this - it is a very common problem. If this is a known issue why not a recall? She told me to keep my receipt in case they decide to do one. Any one else having this issue and what are your tricks to get it out without starting and shutting off the car 3-5 times? When I asked why it hasn't been recalled she said "you know, Subaru" I said I don't know, this is the first one I have owned.

FYI: During the same call, I was told there is a recall on the 2017 Forester, they were just notified. Front air bags. Hasn't been announced to us yet because they don't have the parts.
I have a 2017 Forester and the problem just started a couple weeks ago. Solution I found: Put key in auxiliary, parking brake on, push brake pedal down hard, shift to drive then firmly shift back to park. Key should turn all the way and come out.

·
Registered
2016 Forester, Limited
5 Posts
I have a 2017 Forester and the problem just started a couple weeks ago. Solution I found: Put key in auxiliary, parking brake on, push brake pedal down hard, shift to drive then firmly shift back to park. Key should turn all the way and come out.
I have a 2016 Forester and this problem began a few days ago. Two occurances to date. Restart two or three times and shifting from P to D and back again released the key. Not very happy about this. I'll watch this thread and will report my own future experiences.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are having a similar issue with our 2017 Forester for the last couple of months. It will work fine for a few days and then we have to mess around trying different things to get the darn key out. We have a 2011 Forester and are one issue has been going through a quart of oil every few months. Come on Subaru...you got to do better than this if you want us to buy anymore of your cars​

·
Registered
2016 Forester, Limited
5 Posts
I have a 2016 Forester and this problem began a few days ago. Two occurances to date. Restart two or three times and shifting from P to D and back again released the key. Not very happy about this. I'll watch this thread and will report my own future experiences.
Happened twice yesterday. Really annoying!

·
Registered
2 Posts
From time to time my ignition key gets stuck in the ignition and no matter how much fiddling I do there is no solution to why sometimes it comes right out without a hitch.

Is there an easy fix?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This seems to work. Thanks so much

·
Registered
2017 Forester
4 Posts
My 2017 Forester is sitting in the dealer's service shop waiting for a part to fix the key locking in the transmission. They said they have seen this before. Why isn't this a recall? I'm not anxious to pay $400 for the fix. Seems to me to be a safety issue.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts