Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through some other threads about key fobs not functioning but none of them seem to align with what I am experiencing

Here's the background:

I go to unlock the car with the key fob one morning and it works like normal. When I go to start the vehicle it cranks for a second and then it cut out for a second (all gauges/lights went black) and then it comes right back and cranks and starts. It was a cold MI winter morning if that is a clue. I drive without any problems and when I shut the car off and go to lock it, the key fob no longer works. All buttons did nothing. Upon returning home I tried my spare key (which had never been used) and that didn't work either. So in my mind that rules out a bad battery.

Since the car did that strange cut out while starting, I thought it may be a fuse so I referenced the fuse diagram and saw that Fuse 15 in the interior fuse panel was responsible for Keyless Unit and Luggage light. I checked it and it was not blown. I'm not sure what other fuses would be worth checking. I'd like to avoid having to inspect each fuse if possible...

Do I have to reprogram my keys doing the ignition cycling and using the lock/unlock switch to key in my 8-digit code? I tried initiating the sequence but I think I messed up the cycles of the key in the ignition.

In the mean time, I have to lock the doors manually and use my key to open it back up. The problem is that every time I use the key and open the door, my alarm goes off. Is that a quick temporary fix I can do to disable the alarm until I get this key fob issue resolve?

I appreciate any input!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,052 Posts
@polaris143 I seem to recall Subaru stopped including the instruction on how to self-program in a new remote fob in the later models with this:
Contact your SUBARU dealer and have the transmitters programmed into the remote keyless entry system.
As to your question on locking your doors without arming the security system. This works on our Foresters.
  • If you exit & use the "electric lock switch", when you close the door, you have armed the security system!
  • If you don't want your security system to arm, while sitting in the driver seat, lock all the doors with the "electric lock switch". Next, use the "manual unlock" to unlock the driver door. Once outside, lock the door with the "manual lock" & close the door.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just for anyone else that may run into this, I brought my vehicle to the dealer and it turned out to be a bad TPMS/Keyless Entry Module. Turns out that my TPMS light that had been on for years (I just suspected a bad sensor and decided to deal with it) was a clue to a malfunctioning module and the keyless entry was able to hold on for much longer until it failed. Hopefully this helps someone in the future!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts