Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester MT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New here - recently bought a used 2014 Forester stick shift - 108k miles on it with 3 previous owners. I knew at some point I was probably going to need to replace the clutch. Just had it done this week after it started making some groaning/creaking noises when I put some pressure on the clutch. Trusted what the mechanic was telling me and since I was paying for the hefty labor costs of disassembling and reassembling the transmission I had the clutch assembly and a few other parts replaced per their advice

New clutch is feeling pretty good, a lot smoother and no groaning/creaking anymore but on my first drive away from the mechanic the engine shut off on me a handful of times while I was doing certain things, seemed to be mainly when I was downshifting and not giving it any gas coming to a red light or stop sign. I believe this was mainly due to my driving patterns so I ‘played with’ the gears a little less I guess you could say. Just weird as I’ve never had the problem before. Maybe it’s a problem with how I drive it but I made sure to give it enough gas and haven’t had that happen since the first drive off the mechanics lot.

But there is some other noises, specifically when shifting into 2nd gear and giving it some gas and letting off the clutch where I hear some pretty intense rattling or grinding of some kind. It was making me pretty nervous and I’m not sure what that is about. It feels good while driving but I guess I’m just looking for some input or reassurance that these guys installed everything correctly and I’m not going to have anymore problems if I keep driving on it. Any thoughts?
Think I should ask the mechanic to doublecheck it and test drive it around a bit and make sure everything is good?

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
1,003 Posts
You are probably experiencing the idle relearn process. You can hasten that process. I just don't have the link handy.

It's difficult to say anything about the noise from here.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
226 Posts
The throttle relearn is so easy that many have trouble with it!
After reconnecting the battery turn the ignition on and then do touch anything for 15 seconds. That it.
But if you press the throttle or start the car in the first 10 seconds you have messed up the relearn.

Reactions: donkpow

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
226 Posts
Maybe if you could take the mechanic for a drive and demonstrate the problems they could offer help or advice.
The rattle in second could be a loose heat shield, as the car has many.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts