Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Don't know if this particular question has been posed so here goes...

On JDM and EDM Forester models, there is the "option" for rear fog lamps. They replace the rear bunper reflectors on USDM models, right? There are aftermarket units offered by many vendors to install. I think Diode Dynamics offers them and I know SubieSpeed offers them too.

I have a 2014 2.5i Limited and wantt to add them [install looks super easy and should be from all resources I've seen] but I do have one question for owners of JDM and EDM models with the rear fogs... The question is "how are they controlled?" Is there a separate switch or button to turn them on and off? Are they controlled by the same switch on the headlamp stalk tha controls the front fogs?

Thanks in advance...! Ill probably wire them to the park/brake lamp wiring. But just curious about the switch for other markets...

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,921 Posts
Not sure JDM come with rear fogs. All imports to the UK from Japan I have seen, have required a rear fog light to be fitted before SVA testing in the UK

You might be best off asking in the Euro section of the forum....

I would expect the rear foglights to be controlled independently of the front foglights.

Is it really true no rear foglight is fitted anywhere in the USA? What do you do in heavy fog/mist/poor visibility?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it really true no rear foglight is fitted anywhere in the USA? What do you do in heavy fog/mist/poor visibility?
Not on the Forester... I know some EU imports [Audi, MB, etc] offer them ... or did .... years ago...

As for our fog/misty days, I guess the NHTSA [or whoever] never cared enoigh2. Hell, look how long it took for the US to get rid of sealed-beam lamps...!

·
Registered
2016 Forester
898 Posts
Audi definitely still have them, of course the problem is all those audiholes drive with rear fog on all the time, in the dark, in bumper to bumper traffic.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
186 Posts

On JDM and EDM Forester models, there is the "option" for rear fog lamps. They replace the rear bunper reflectors on USDM models, right? There are aftermarket units offered by many vendors to install. I think Diode Dynamics offers them and I know SubieSpeed offers them too.

I have a 2014 2.5i Limited and wantt to add them [install looks super easy and should be from all resources I've seen] but I do have one question for owners of JDM and EDM models with the rear fogs... The question is "how are they controlled?" Is there a separate switch or button to turn them on and off? Are they controlled by the same switch on the headlamp stalk tha controls the front fogs?

Thanks in advance...! Ill probably wire them to the park/brake lamp wiring. But just curious about the switch for other markets...
I have the EDM model which is sold in Australia/Asia region. Rear fog lamp is activated via the same headlamp stalk. Turn the stalk once to activate the front fog, and turn further to activate the rear fog.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.0 Diesel
34 Posts

On JDM and EDM Forester models, there is the "option" for rear fog lamps. They replace the rear bunper reflectors on USDM models, right?
The rear fog lamp is located in the regular rear light cluster. The rear bumper reflectors are just reflectors on EDM Foresters too. Also, it will only be light on one side. Either on the left for LHD markets or on the right for RHD markets.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
The rear fog lamp is located in the regular rear light cluster. The rear bumper reflectors are just reflectors on EDM Foresters too. Also, it will only be light on one side. Either on the left for LHD markets or on the right for RHD markets.
and as said operated on the stalk (EDM)

or JDM version (stalks reversed)

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much. I'm planning on installing some LED lights in the reflector spots and wondered how the other markets worked. Interesting that the bottom is the fog lamp.

·
Registered
2015 2015 2.5i Touring CVT
118 Posts
Audis: Four zeros on the grille and one behind the wheel. :)

·
Registered
2012 2.5X Premium 4EAT
9 Posts
I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but I ordered a EDM aftermarket fog lamp not long ago, based on the advice of a fellow on a Toyota Sienna forum. He pointed out that a lot (most? all?) of the lights that replace the rear reflectors are not themselves reflective, so they may cut your visibility when the light isn't on. He offers several worthwhile suggestions that I think will be applicable to the Forester, too.

https://www.siennachat.com/forum/69-mods-projects-gen-3/22049-rear-fog-light-2014-sienna.html

I went ahead and ordered a momentary switch for the dash that, when wired with a relay, should let me engage the rear fog and have it automatically shut off when either the headlights, the front fog lights, or the engine is shut off. That will avoid forgetting and leaving it on when it's not needed--and avoid blinding the poor guy behind me.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
600 Posts
JDM & EDM vs USDM - rear fog lamps

Then why bother? Just turn on both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
Does anyone know if the usdm and jdm wiring harnesses are the same?
For a start JDM is RHD as against US LHD.

Which particular part of the wiring loom are you talking about ? as it is made up from several sections, which differ depending upon market region and options fitted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For a start JDM is RHD as against US LHD.

Which particular part of the wiring loom are you talking about ? as it is made up from several sections, which differ depending upon market region and options fitted.
Thank you
Managed to solve my issue yesterday
What I thought should have been a reverse light bulb was actually an OEM led foglamp

·
Registered
2010 Forester
1 Posts
Does anyone know if the usdm and jdm wiring harnesses are the same?
My thoughts is they aren't. I know Japanparts sells a harness for the rear fog/brake lights. For the life of me, I can't find a company who makes a plug and play/quick connect harness for the USDM Forester for these lights. Subispeed makes one for the WRX/STI (rear fog/light), and subiebros as well. I don't want to splice as I still have a warranty under my car. Plus, don't want to throw all the money at the JDM version and it turns out not being compatible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts