Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here just wondering if there is a tune for the NA? I have a 2.5i premium and the acceleration is just terrible. Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Forester X+ 5MT
117 Posts
Nope

No one really messes with the NA engines for power gains. From the research I've done, Subaru has already maxed out the NA motor for fuel economy, which for the most part results in maximum power. You can only do so much with a 2.5L 4 cyl.

I submitted a definition request for a 2013 premium a few weeks ago, and have not heard anything back yet. My interest there was in tweaking the mapping for the obscenely sensitive accelerator pedal.

Adam

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No one really messes with the NA engines for power gains. From the research I've done, Subaru has already maxed out the NA motor for fuel economy, which for the most part results in maximum power. You can only do so much with a 2.5L 4 cyl.

I submitted a definition request for a 2013 premium a few weeks ago, and have not heard anything back yet. My interest there was in tweaking the mapping for the obscenely sensitive accelerator pedal.

Adam
Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Touring 5M
447 Posts
LaChute Performance did tuning on a 2010 Forester N/A, equal length, bolt on headers, catback, air intake and they did gain 28hp.

But the cost is high for all the parts

Home - Lachute Performance

But I don't think they have anything for the newer 2014.

·
Registered
2015 XT premium The one without the fun pedal
837 Posts
I looked into tuning my 13 Forester that is fitted with a Nameless axle-back exhaust and a AEM dry filter in the air box. The answer I received from multiple Subaru tuners was overwhelmingly - trade it in for the XT. Throttlehappy here on the forums has provided some info on tuning the FB engine though. On a side note I happen to work with a fellow new NA Forester who has a brother that works for one badass Subaru tuning shop here in Wa state. So maybe there is hope for us after all. Fingers crossed:shrug:

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
228 Posts
Just curious OP, did you test drive both the NA and XT? What made you go with the NA in the first place?

·
Registered
2012 Forester X+ 5MT
117 Posts
Does open source tuning with RomRaider still work for the SJ models?
It would seem so. I took a quick peek in the experimental definition forum, and there are definitions for the 2014 WRX, STI, and Legacy in there. It would be a matter of someone that wants to tinker with the 2014 Foz to pull their ROM and request a definition. I got lucky, the 2012 was already defined, and the 2013 was an identical match for the areas of interest. I would imagine there were some bigger changes for the new 2.5i

Adam

·
Registered
2012 Forester Manual
15 Posts
Does anyone have an update on this? I am looking to get my feet wet with this, going into it knowing that there isn't going to be a drastic change. I just got my tactrix cable in last week and have been doing some data logging to see how my '12 forester premium MT runs. It has a K&N drop in filter and Nameless axle back for now. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the A/F ratios "should" be for this motor? I feel like slowly changing the fuel map and watching the result on the A/F ratio would be a good starting place for me to learn.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium 6 foward 1 reverse
62 Posts
Just tried pulling a rom... 2015 Forester 2.5i Premium 6mt

ECUFlash said:
[12:57:00.046] J2534 API Version: 04.04
[12:57:00.046] J2534 DLL Version: 1.01.4341 Aug 8 2014 00:48:17
[12:57:00.046] Device Firmware Version: 1.15.4340
[12:57:00.046] Device Serial Number: TAP9x9Gk
[12:57:10.423] reading vehicle info...
[12:57:10.429] CALID : EA1M701A
[12:57:10.432] CVN : 5BCEEF66
[12:57:10.439] VIN : JF2SJA***F*460357
[12:57:10.439] starting programming session...
[12:57:10.440] unlocking ECU...
[12:57:10.440] Requesting Seed...
[12:57:10.442] interface close
[12:57:10.442] interface close
there is a **** ton of seed combinations... Guess we will have to wait, even to pull the rom.

Why get the 2.5i OVER the xt? because of a clutch :woohoo:

is it too much to get a definition? cause what if i get a check engine light i want disabled... Also it seems GUTLESS, below 2500rpm.. I'm sure we could fix that with a tune.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
66 Posts

Adam
IDK if this is completely correct. you dont get good fuel economy with maximum power. When tuning its a balance with Fuel and Timing. More fuel equals more power, more fuel less fuel economy. Think of it as Good, Better and Best as power. Good is nice power but great fuel economy, Better is a nice balance of power and fuel economy then you have best power and not so good in fuel economy. It really depends on the person and their preference. Yes N/A cars do not see many gains at a forced induction cars but they can be tuned and will tell a difference regardless of the good, better, best options. Just sayin....

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
66 Posts
My buddy is a popular tuner on here. He actually was able to tune a tribeca believe it or not and was able to open up some noticable throttle response and power. of course its N/A but i know people with a N/A car would like a little better over all performance. you wont compete with an XT on power but just get a cleaner and more fun N/A foz.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X 4EAT
156 Posts
The FB25 takes to tuning much better than the EJ253. If you have the manual gearbox you'll appreciate the increase in torque which means you can keep it in 5th gear up hills or pull better without gearing down. For pure 0-60 times there's only a small amount in it as there's no real gains in peak power.
You should have improved cruising economy thanks to better AFR and increased timing advance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts