Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subaru Impreza, XV Crosstrek Earn Top Crash-Test Score | IIHS Crash Tests - Consumer Reports News

The 2014 Subaru Impreza sedan and hatchback and their high-riding cousin the XV Crosstrek have been awarded the coveted Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s Top Safety Pick+ designation.

The Impreza and XV Crosstrek made the grade earning a Good rating in the Institute’s newest challenge, known as the small-overlap frontal crash test, as well as all the IIHS’s other crash scenarios. These vehicles were modified for the 2014 model year to enhance their performance in this tough test.

To rise to the ranks of Top Safety Pick+, a vehicle has to do well in at least four of the Institute’s five crash scenarios and at least acceptably in the fifth. The Impreza and Crosstrek had already earned Good scores in all the Institute’s other evaluations: front, side, and rear crash test, and roof crush test.

Other Subarus securing top honors are the Legacy sedan, Forester SUV, and Outback wagon.
Keep on keepin on, Subaru! :rock:

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't leave out much does it? BRZ?:N_poke:
You are right... BRZ is the only model not getting top ratings.

I wonder why... maybe because it is essentially a Toyota with a Subaru designed drivetrain. Toyota does not care about the safety ratings, as evidenced by their recent performance with the Rav 4 and others.

·
Registered
800 Posts
hmmm I found it strange that the BRZ didn't score too good in the Reliability rating in CR while the Scion did pretty good. The BRZ brought down Subaru's overall stellar score.

I didn't realize the BRZ was having issues.

·
Premium Member
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts
You are right... BRZ is the only model not getting top ratings.

I wonder why... maybe because it is essentially a Toyota with a Subaru designed drivetrain. Toyota does not care about the safety ratings, as evidenced by their recent performance with the Rav 4 and others.
?

BRZ hasn't been tested for small overlap, and it is the only 2 door coupe to receive a TSP from the IIHS. I suppose when it is actually tested for small overlap, we will find out that Subaru did indeed design the car....

hmmm I found it strange that the BRZ didn't score too good in the Reliability rating in CR while the Scion did pretty good. The BRZ brought down Subaru's overall stellar score.

I didn't realize the BRZ was having issues.
Completely new car with new everything. Not to mention it gets its pants driven off it because it is a sports car. Not too surprising.

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BRZ hasn't been tested for small overlap, and it is the only 2 door coupe to receive a TSP from the IIHS. I suppose when it is actually tested for small overlap, we will find out that Subaru did indeed design the car....
I guess you are right... I wonder why it has not been tested in the Small Overlap test.

I must have assumed that since I never see anything about the BRZ crash test results, that I assumed it did not get a top rating. Guess it is because it has not been fully tested yet.

I do think the small overlap test is most important, and it will definitely show if Subaru designed the structure because Toyota has not been fairing well in that test.

After some research, it appears that the BRZ uses the ring shaped frame, so I would take that as an indicator that Subaru designed it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts