Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Si Premium Automatic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reversed the driver side headrest on my new 2014 Forester, so that I could sit up straight. I have done this on my old cars with no problem…
Bad idea. It is locked in place now, and the ratchet function means with any pressure, it clicks backwards, and gives no support.

How do I get it out? Other forums talk about a little hole you can pass a paperclip thru to unlatch the inside, but this model does not seem to have the release function.

Thanks for any help! I do want to be safe...

Edit - Success!!!! I also reversed headrest so that I could sit up straight, and it got stuck backwards.

But easier to push it off than to pull….

Lean seat back. Sit down backwards in the seat, and lean against steering wheel. Gently, slowly, push headrest off with your feet. Pops right off

On to the next mod- I will make this thing comfortable yet….

·
Registered
2015 Forester cvt
3 Posts
Heres a more elegant solution than using brute force. See addendum to headrest snafu post. This is on a 2015 Forester.

OK
So after head scratching and two nights to think about it and my wife reminding me to fix it, Its fixed.
What I did was cut a piece of tin flashing about 3/4 inch wide and 3 inches long. I then cut one end into an elliptical shape and then used the unstuck headrest which I had taken out as a form and rolled the tin around it to form a tubular slim jim open on one side.
What needed to be done was depress the little detent bar which was designed to engage the tapered notches in the upright tubes.
It was a tight fit requiring careful use of a pair of vise grips to twist and push down on the tool, but I was able to disengage the detent bar from the unchamfered notch far enough to be able to lift the tube out of the hole in the top of the seat.
The one casualty was the pristine cleanliness of the headrest which now has a large thumb print in the back from my dirty hands. The two pictures are of the detent bar in the latch mechanism and the sheet metal tool wrapped around the upright tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Forester automatic
1 Posts
I was glad to see I was not the only one who reversed the headrest! I have done this on my last 5 cars with no problems. The solution of sitting backwards in the front seat with your feet on the headrest and your back on the steering wheel and pushing worked. My husband also was in the backseat and pulled on the headrest. We laughed so hard at this bizarre solution but it did work on the 2015 Forester.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
2 Posts
Sitting backwards and pushing with feet worked for me too. It also popped the cap off the top of the right-hand (facing forward) hole for the headrest pole, revealing the cotter pin underneath that is the source of the problem. I removed the pin and snapped the cover back on, and now the rest doesn't get stuck when inserted backward. More importantly for me, though: removing the pin allows you to lower a normally-installed headrest about a half inch further than was possible before, right down so it sits directly on top of the seat. That additional half inch lower is enough for me (6' 2") to be comfortable with it in normal configuration. YMMV

·
Registered
2015 Forester automatic
1 Posts
I didn't like the headrest seemingly pushing my head forward (I'm 5'2"), so I decided to switch the headrest around. Now it won't move, up or down. The release button is stuck. Any suggestions as how to remove head rest now? It looks like I can remove the plastic piece the pole goes through, but I would like some recommendations before I attempt anything more. My mechanic is not sure what to do.

Edit - It works!! laying seat flat and pushing off headrest. Thanks, now I can tell my mechanic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any idea if this will work on the 2019"s ? I really hate the forward pressure on my head.
I know it works on a 2018, because I just did it on my husband's Forester. Like you, I hate the forward pressure on my head so I reversed it and got it stuck. Pushing with my foot did the trick!

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
There's a small button on the side of the plastic insert (inboard)in the seat,,,press that and you can pull the headrest out of the sear,if so inclined.

The headrest ratchets to 4positions forward,then resets all the way back when you pull it forward more.

No forcing needed with your feet to remove or adjust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts