Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I had a little grille damage so I ordered a replacement (below). I do not necessarily need to connect the lights. I wanted the all black look. However, if I do connect the lights, is it as simple as extending the wiring on each side, to the running light wire at the back of each of the headlights? Maybe just wire all four to one side? It does not appear as if there are instructions on the electrical portion of the grille installation. Thanks
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,009 Posts
Yes. It would be that simple. Unless you wanted to control the lights through a switch or only have them on with fog-lights or as DRL or ...

Where did you find that? Amazon? eBay? Some other source? And how much was it?

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,009 Posts
Did you receive this grill already? If so, can you take a picture of the back side of this? I'd like to be able to keep my shiny grill but add those lights and so I'd be interested to see how the back side of the grill is built.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Sport
104 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,281 Posts
@FozzieBalou - I just ordered the last one for an SJ that I could find on Ebay. If @Borealis13 doesn't get you pics, I will.
I've been thinking about getting this grille for a while, and seeing that the one that I had in my watch list on Ebay was out of stock, and I could only find one other listing, I jumped on it.

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,009 Posts
My problem is I'm and odd-duck in this Foz world ..... I LIKE the chrome / shiny finish on my grill (and other spots). I don't want all that blacked out trim. When I was looking at the sport grill, for example, I just wanted the different "texture" or patter to the grill and then the dark cross bar (with Subie logo) and keep the chrome upper and lower parts of the grill.

For example, I've added shiny trim around the fogs and the rear reflectors ....

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Car Vehicle Hood

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2017 SJ9 Forester 2.5i-S
16 Posts
My problem is I'm and odd-duck in this Foz world ..... I LIKE the chrome / shiny finish on my grill (and other spots). I don't want all that blacked out trim. When I was looking at the sport grill, for example, I just wanted the different "texture" or patter to the grill and then the dark cross bar (with Subie logo) and keep the chrome upper and lower parts of the grill.

View attachment 569881

View attachment 569882
I can't say I like chrome parts at all, one day I will get my chrome parts blacked out on my '17 Forester.

·
Registered
2013 Forester X
68 Posts

Well then, you might be interested in my project to add chrome Dagmars to the Forester front bumper...

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,009 Posts
@Hestheone - as a bit of irony and coincidence - Dagmar (if she were still alive) would be a neighbor of mine. She was one of more-than-a-few minor (and some bigger than minor) celebs that lived (and/or owned a vacation house) in the development I live in near Palm Springs.

·
Registered
2013 Forester X
68 Posts
@Hestheone - as a bit of irony and coincidence - Dagmar (if she were still alive) would be a neighbor of mine. She was one of more-than-a-few minor (and some bigger than minor) celebs that lived (and/or owned a vacation house) in the development I live in near Palm Springs.
My life is like that...seemingly random things fall into place all the time. Is it just because I remember the time it does and forget the vast majority when it doesn't? Probably. But it does make life fun.
I like to think she was a good person - at least she seemed to be a good sport about the term. I hope to never hear otherwise. Anyway, thanks for the item.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
1,512 Posts
a subtlety for SJ XT owners is, these lights appear to be in a zone that will interfere with airflow to the intercooler - you have to look closely, but my uppermost open grille slots lead to a "ski jump" plastic molding that mates up with the air duct
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire Hood

on the underside of the hood. 2nd question - that picture is a '17-'18, given the foglight surrounds. Did you modify those too, or is it not a picture of your car?

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,009 Posts
@whobodym - I think that's specific to the XT - as you have that extra air channel for the intercooler. The non-XT just has the single air channel to the general intake and has some solid panels - even on the early SJ generation.

The top row of openings for the non-XT is solid and does not have that same opening or structure pattern of openings.

And yes, it is a "late" model SJ generation in the image (2017 or 2018).

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,281 Posts
So, my new grille arrived today. It's different from the pics, but in a good way since I have an XT. The only additional part of the grille that is blocked in any way are the lights themselves, which don't make much of a restriction. It comes with a cheesy-looking wiring harness, but the lights each have separate connections, so I might wire them up with two as additional turn signals and two as marker lights, since I'm not really happy with the lack of front facing marker lights on this car.

The middle isn't really that shiny, that's just from the flash on my phone.

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper
Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Wire Electronic device

Office equipment Luggage and bags Office supplies Bag Gas

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,009 Posts
Why not just do all of them as marker lights?

There is a marker/running light on the "early" SJ - between lo-beam and hi-beam...
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Vehicle

And on the later SJ models - it's the boomerang on the outer side -
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Automotive design

But OBJon - you've got the XT Touring so that means your running/marker light is the LED "C-Ring" - which is about the same place on the HID/LED set up on the Touring editions of the 2.5 and 2.0XT models.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts