Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Subaru 160k 2.5 l engine
Recently had a promotion at my local oil change shop, where was recommended to take advantage of fuel injector service special.
The technician used my brake booster hose as the vacuum to draw in the cleaner, to I assume my intake manifold.
During the procedure ; the check engine light came on and( emissions) p-0420 code , c1424 ( heated 02 sensor) as well as hill assist codes were generated. Codes reset themselves after cleaning service was complete.
The next day these same error codes were generated and diagnosed at local muffler shop as a possible catalytic convertor failure.
Mechanic has indicated the injection cleaning as most likely problem.
Has anyone heard of this , or any literature out there about damage from this procedure?

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Maybe it will clear out if uh ou really get it cookin/ drive for an extended period. Just spitballin' here.

How far/ long have you driven it since the service?

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Don't use local oil change shops. They are usually owned by greedy douches that only hire dishonest morons willing to upsell you on stuff you don't want and they don't even have a clue about.
Instead, it is way better to learn to change your own oil so you know it is done right.

Not being sure what they did, they may have contaminated the system. O2 Sensors in particular are quite susceptible to contamination.

Regarding muffler shops, see my description of oil change shops. it is in their interest to sell you a complete cat and sensors. It will likely solve your problem but will be expensive because they'll replace parts you don't need to replace yet.

It may or may not clear by itself. In case it does not, it may only need sensors.
There are ways to verify that the cat is working properly but would require a non-contact thermometer (one of those gun looking thermometers with a laser pointer built in).

Do you have a proficient honest mechanic nearby? Or are you somewhat proficient around cars?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks- point taken. I’m kicking myself, and you’re right I don’t feel that these shops ie ( muffler shops) are trying to save you money either.
I do know a bit about cars but prefer not to do my own oil change as I am an OR nurse , need to keep my hands clean and healthy. Also a woman and don’t wish to get under cars.
I am however, going to wait this out - if it resolves on it’s own great, if not ? will search out a good mechanic I can trust .
Think I know enough now to call him out , if I catch him in a deception.
Thanks this helps a lot

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
645 Posts
2014 Subaru 160k 2.5 l engine
Recently had a promotion at my local oil change shop, where was recommended to take advantage of fuel injector service special.
The technician used my brake booster hose as the vacuum to draw in the cleaner, to I assume my intake manifold.
Sucking something into the intake manifold is not going to run it thru the fuel injectors and isn’t going to be cleaning them

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
I will search out a good mechanic I can trust .
Understood, also about the need to keep your hands in good shape.

In my area, people use this forum that allows you to ask for local stuff like recommendations, crime news, tag sales, etc.
Not knowing where you live, it may have active participants in your area: nextdoor.com
Asking for recommendations for a local mechanic would be a really good question to ask there.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts